• Welcome to the largest (sim) racing website in the world!
    Blurring the line between real and virtual motorsports.

Thanos AMC-AASD15A 6axis servo motion controller thread

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by Tronicgr_6DOF, May 11, 2019.

1. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    Hello everybody,

I have been developing a variation of my AMC1280USB controller that can connect to the AASD-15A servos directly, providing compatibility with simtools or other motion software compatible with AMC1280USB. I have been asked repeatedly if this was possible to connect these DIY AASD-15A servo actuators with Simtools for the last months, so I made one, and since I was at it, I added more axis, so now its possible with it to build a nice ultra cheap 6DOF platform with servomotors, or a 4DOF with TL etc.

The controller is designed to be plug and play, and allow custom size actuators from 100mm to 400mm, with resolution of 5000 to 20000 positions. I already finished preliminary tests and looks promising.

https://youtu.be/MyzC6FRNSFs

The new controller board will have DB25 connectors on it for plug and play operation (no need of making wiring etc) and can support up to 7 actuators (7th is auxiliary). Automatic detection system will be in place to recognize if a motor is plugged on power up or removed and plugged in again while in operation and will perform automatically home calibration using hard stop detection.

AMC-AASD15_TOP_sm.jpg

wx_camera_1557405586472.jpg

wx_camera_1557405674636.jpg

I have ordered some AMC-AASD15A prototype boards to be made and will be ready in a week or two. In meantime I continue to program the firmware on my old trusty AMC1280USB controller. Actually anyone thet has an AMC1280USB should be able to wire these servos easily using DB25 breakout connectors. I'll provide connections diagram and firmware at a later time for this. Now focusing on the new controller.

Thanks
    Thanos

Last edited: May 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 3
    • Beer Beer x 2
  2. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    Reserved

3. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    Reserved2

4. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    I connected the servomotor to the actuator I have and run some tests on it

And here I tested the change of stroke setting in real time. Notice the servo jumps to higher position to keep up with the larger scale positions. I had to hold down the actuator during this fast tests as with 3000rpm speed the motor tends to spin in place the whole actuator...

More info about the actuators mechanical part here:
    https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...simulator-thread.159524/page-234#post-2968569

• Like Like x 1
  5. Crashtappen

Crashtappen

Ratings:
    +9
    As I said in the SFX100 thread... very promising with lot of safety/functionality !!
    Wish you the best and excited to test it ! If you have a Discord chanel, just share it ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moe Ballout

Moe Ballout

Ratings:
    +14
    How much are these actuators with the mounting kit? No pricing on the website you provided

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    There is contact information there, send him email or via the wechat or Skype message contact.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  8. wajdi

wajdi
    Premium

Ratings:
    +162
    Edit

• Beer Beer x 1
  9. iigator

iigator

Ratings:
    +18
    Hi thanos
    with sim feedback project ... we have to change some parameters on the servo drives ... will it be necessary to change these parameters with your controller? .. or is it indifferent?
    Regards

10. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    Most parameters on AASD-15A are the same, except a few settings for hard stop detection and for feedback for the servo drive output states... things that are missing from the SFX100...

11. iigator

iigator

Ratings:
    +18
    Oks thanos
    If I buy your control box I understand that you will tell us all the parameters that we have to configure in the servo drives..no?

12. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    There will be detailed manual describing everything, servo parameters, AMC controller parameters, examples, diagrams etc... no worries. This will be available in a week or two when I have the prototype board made and tested. Right now I'm testing the whole thing on my older AMC1280USB controller that is using the same microcontroller and pinout, to speed up development.

This older AMC1280USB controller is multifuction controller originally designed for use with DC motor and AC motors with VFD inverters:
    https://www.tindie.com/products/Tronicgr/amc1280usb-motion-simulator-controller-deluxe-kit/

The AMC-AASD15A controller will cost less, as its designed for use only with AASD-15A servo drives, and I'm looking for options to mass produce it if there is demand (kickstarter perhaps?) to avoid building them one by one by hand (time consuming for me).

Thanks
    Thanos

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    Well, I just created one... ;)
    https://discord.gg/bx4PxYR

Don't know how active I'll be there... but I'll try it.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    Finished that part of the code that deals with the automatic detection of the servo and if it was disconnected between sessions. This will force recalibration of the servo home position to ensure the AMC always know the home position of the servo.

Watch the video to see it in action:

Thanks
    Thanos

• Like Like x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  15. nomnom

nomnom
    Premium

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi is this up?

16. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    Oh sorry, the link was expired. I made new one that does not expire:

https://discord.gg/bx4PxYR

17. Requis

Requis

Ratings:
    +29
    Definitely interested very cool assuming this would work with the SFX-100 Actuator builds as you posted in that forum.. Look forward to seeing your progress! Keep up the great work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    Yes, the new controller should work with any actuator that is driven by AASD-15A servos.

I'm not sure about the cost of each actuator from SFX100, but PT-ACTUATOR factory is ready to offer already assembled ones with really low price of about 700USD per actuator (like the one I have on my test videos).

So the price for 4 actuators 150mm stroke, 500mm/s speed (1610 pitch) equipped with AASD-15A and 750w frame 80 servomotors will be around 2800USD! Or 3500USD if you include extra actuator for traction loss.

19. Tronicgr_6DOF

Tronicgr_6DOF

Ratings:
    +54
    I have been asked if the AMC-AASD15A will fix the whining noise. Perhaps you should seek solution to the problem elsewhere:

• Like Like x 1
  20. RCHeliguy

RCHeliguy
    Premium

Ratings:
    +284
    @Mr Latte Did you see this whining grounding issue thing?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.