Resource icon

Apps Telemetry – Corners Performance Analysis 1.2

Login or Register an account to download this content
@Esotic thanks for the info. Ya during a race... I have no time for such things, but during long practice sessions Id love to have an app keep track of best and last entry, apex and exit speeds. Beats exporting to motec and looking at the section analysis. Also love to see a Telemetry app like the Projects cars telemerty app. The weight transfer design was kinda genius if you ask me. ... WAY better than the old g-meters bars, and target circles.

At the risk of spamming this apps support thread with random info.... :p

@Mark Oates I have several apps (some I've modded and some I've just downloaded) that present live telemetry data. One of the apps (modded from something else) is attempting to show tire slip while breaking and slip angle otherwise (the four boxes around the center):

There's also a traction circle app by tallpsmith (I think) that you can see in this video:

I used to run a bunch of app on screen while practicing (corners performance being one of them), then record the practice to video, and watch it afterwards to see how I was doing. Lately I've been more focusing on feeling the car at the limits instead of thinking about the car at the limits, and optimizing my framerates by running less apps, and also trying to make the apps I do use more efficient (less of an FPS hit while using them). Optimizing apps to decrease the FPS hit is not always an easy task, so it may take some time before I discover some best/better practices for collecting/crunching/showing the data.

The basic logic of the corner's performance app may need some tweaking, too, as it doesn't really know where the corners are. If I remember correctly it's using your steering/brake/gas inputs to try and discover where corners are. Due to variations in how you drive the track from one lap to the next it may detect the corners differently (say you figure out how to take a corner flat out when you didn't before, that corner may not register with the logic).

Cheers,

Dave/Esotic

@Esotic ... Thanks, I seriously though id sorted thru just about every app on RD, but never saw the two above. Weird. Did see your shift tack app though, thats gonne be installed soon. I also like your idea about video, maybe make an app that knows how to cut and splice your practice laps to being just one BEST OF lap.

Last edited:
The traction circle is not mine, but it's over here:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/traction-circle.1745/

You can download the Slips HUD app here (I need to do more testing/coding and make it a proper release on RD):
http://esotic.com/media/SlipsHUD_V1.0.zip

As a big caveat, this app is hard coded to work best with Formula and GT cars (or anything using proper racing slicks). Some of the work to be done is to somehow graph all the tire compounds in AC and discover the real slip angle curves (slip angle vs lateral force or coefficient of friction).

In terms of the logic I have hard coded values for min_slip (3) and max_slip (10). I have assumed that "optimum slip" is right in the middle of these two values. The colors in the video are as such:

While Braking (brake input > 20%) it shows Tire Slip:
color starts as black and become brighter purple as you approach the braking threshold. If you lock up (or get dangerously close to locking up) it turn red.

While Cornering:
slip < min_slip starts as black and becomes whiter the closer the value gets to min_slip
min_slip < slip < optimum_slip starts as medium green and becomes bright green
optimum slip < slip < max_slip starts as bright blue and fades to medium blue
max_slip < slip is bright red

"Graphically" this would look like

0 ----------- 3 | 3 ----------------------- 6.5 | 6.5 ------------------ 10 | 10 +
black to white | med green to bright green | bright blue to med blue | bright red

A tire has maximum grip at the optimum slip angle, which I am assuming is 6.5 for racing tires. If you keep the tires in the bright green while cornering, then you should be getting near maximum grip in the corners while also giving yourself a little lee-way if the slip angle increases.

Any feedback is appreciated, especially suggestions for how to make it better. :p

Cheers,

Dave\Esotic

False alarm i think : after 1.9.3 update, the app wasn't visible in the bar anymore. Unchecking/checking the app name in the option menu didn't change anything.

Then, for some reason, i checked on another app, and the corners_performance came back again

I tried to play checking/unchecking the apps to see if i was able to isolate a context, but didn't reproduced the problem.

Regards

False alarm i think : after 1.9.3 update, the app wasn't visible in the bar anymore. Unchecking/checking the app name in the option menu didn't change anything.

Then, for some reason, i checked on another app, and the corners_performance came back again

I tried to play checking/unchecking the apps to see if i was able to isolate a context, but didn't reproduced the problem.

Regards

That's great debugging info! When I've had that problem with my apps it was related to support files not being current.

How would I get this app to display more corners, enough for the Nordschleife?

Lines 54, 184 & 285 may be relevant. Making those changes the app window is bigger but stalls at 21 corners.

IANAP, obviously ;)

How would I get this app to display more corners, enough for the Nordschleife?

Lines 54, 184 & 285 may be relevant. Making those changes the app window is bigger but stalls at 21 corners.

IANAP, obviously ;)
My best concept for solving that problem would be something like pre-definining corner "complexes" or groups into mini sectors and then judging the group of corners all together. This would, of course, require some coding.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back