Targa Florio hangover

You all probably heard of rF's Targa, and many of you also have probably driven it now. It struck me that is there really any need to build any tracks any more? I mean, Targa virtually answers almost all the needs for a race track and at least I cannot think of anything what I would like to see. Might be very well so that it took my urge trying to come up with anything anymore. Mostly my projects have been similar to Targa - sweeping long public road circuits.

Very nice thing this Targa is, but at the same time some what saddening.

Thoughts?

I found Targa Florio rather tight & only one real opportunity to 'wind it out' as it were.
A track I'd love to see in rF that would fulfill my urge for more high speed sections would have to be a full length rendition of the Isle of Man.
Wasn't someone working on this a year or 2 ago & whatever became of it?
Ive got the short lap GPL conversion (& wasn't very pleased with it), I also have the 3 PS2 games brought out by Jester Interactive & nearly every DVD since 2000 (when Joey was king!), but somehow I feel that an rF version will just be SO much better & my track collection will be complete!
Apart from that, I'm REALLY looking forward to the '53 Assen-TT, the new Solitude that's underway & woochoo's Lobethal.....
So I guess there will always, in some way, be another great track to come!
I wonder what else there could be to come.....?
Anyone....?

My first ever BTB track was 60km... what was I thinking..!!! It was supposed to be a Nurburgring on steroids.... would've taken years to complete properly... I like to put it down to beginner's enthusiasm.... :wink: Must try Targa Floria.

Mille Miglia anyone!?!?

is there really any need to build any tracks any more? I mean, Targa virtually answers almost all the needs for a race track
Thoughts?

Are you kidding me? :tongue: There are literally *thousands* of race tracks out there (or have been there historically) that haven't been implemented in simulators yet. Ever visited Guido Decarli, Racingcircuits database or the Nuclear Satellite track databases? There's no end of tracks to build, definitely.

Sure, if you like long Targa-like tracks then I can imagine it's sort of a non plus ultra. But not all simracers are smitten long-term by those kind of tracks (I'm not, and though it's nice to look at I think it's actually too long for actual racing. Most people won't even last one lap without crashing several times, and in the long run such huge tracks tend to work against doing a quick race for fun, offline as well as online).
But even if you're into those long roads, there's always hope left that someone may do Mille Miglia, Pescara, Isle of Man (full) or the Paris-to-Peking rally at some point ;)

Personally, I'd rather see some nice scenic little club tracks though. At least those actually get *raced*... and often have more atmosphere than modern Tilke F1 tracks.

Update your Pyrhanta! :D
I will! End of this month I should get live camera footage from both directions of the whole circuit. Then I can continue updating the track. Plenty of time to get over the Targa hangover :D

Sure, if you like long Targa-like tracks then I can imagine it's sort of a non plus ultra. But not all simracers are smitten long-term by those kind of tracks (I'm not, and though it's nice to look at I think it's actually too long for actual racing.
Yeah about like that. Now that I've driven more the track, I've noticed that it doesn't quite fill up all my needs of long AND fast track. Targa is very twisty and quite slow, there is no really much a sections of dangerous wide open driving with crests and humps. Thats why I still kind of like my Pyhäranta project... Thou only being 25km's, I think its more fun than Targa... I just wish I could eventually also make it look much more pretty.

I finally managed to do a lap in free practice mode. 42 minutes in a little Lotus Elan from the Historic GT mod. It's a stunning track, but in a race, a rubbish driver like me would keep going off. When I did my lap I took a cautious approach, not wanting to crash, but still I had my moments. I'd turned off damage beforehand so that made things easier, but on my first attempt I fell off the track, down a hill, and couldn't get back on. I tried again later on, and fell off at the same place.

At the third attempt, I sort of made it all the way round, but at the very end I went straight on at high speed, not realising the track turned left quite sharply. The invisible wall stopped me, and because I'd turned off damage, I was able to carry on to the finish line.

In one of the built up areas I crashed at one of the tight corners because I didn't see it coming. There was another more gentle corner right before it. There were plenty of times when I'd back right off for a corner only to find it was actually quite a sweeper.

So it's a good drive but for racing I prefer shorter tracks. We can memorize each corner so we can focus on catching (or not being passed) rather than worrying about which way the track will go after the next corner.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back