Stutter Stutter or Smooth as Butter

Brands Hatch especially, even in practice screen stutter. I think it's not just me and maybe down to the unreal engine? I've tried all different things so if you're smooth as Butter, please post your settings and how you're eliminating it. Thank you.

Acer Predator X34p
I 7-6700k
Nvidia 1080ti
16gb Ram a lam.
And not forgetting my brand new Master Cooler 212 Evo

So I have a pretty old, (circa 2010), Samsung 40" HDTV.
Having an older display might be a good thing actually when it comes to input lag. All modern TVs have elaborate digital mastering, where you sometimes have to even delay audio to have lip sync'ed movies for example. If the TV has a "gaming mode" this might indicate, that in that mode some of these gimmicks are circumvented to reduce lag.
Personally I'm on a HD LCD front projection from 2006, so even more ancient than your setup. Input lag is believed to be very low on this projector because of the sheer lack of fancy circuitry. My AV receiver might add to the lag again tho. :geek:

Having an older display might be a good thing actually when it comes to input lag. All modern TVs have elaborate digital mastering, where you sometimes have to even delay audio to have lip sync'ed movies for example. If the TV has a "gaming mode" this might indicate, that in that mode some of these gimmicks are circumvented to reduce lag.
Personally I'm on a HD LCD front projection from 2006, so even more ancient than your setup. Input lag is believed to be very low on this projector because of the sheer lack of fancy circuitry. My AV receiver might add to the lag again tho. :geek:
Yes. I think my TV does have a Gaming mode. Will need to check that later.
Maybe that's why I'm not really feeling the lag too much. Although I really want to test all options to see how it looks/feels. I know I get little stutters here and there when I don't have v-sync on, but then it can be track dependent. Lots of testing to be done. Which means more bum in seat time which is just peachy for me! :thumbsup:

So I have a pretty old, (circa 2010), Samsung 40" HDTV.
I know its 60hz but then again I read somewhere that the actual rate could be something more like 59.97?
Would you use RTSS to dial in the actual refresh rate of your display?
And is there any way to find out what that rate actually is?
Also, sorry for all the questions but I'm delving into this a lot more now, in RTSS scan line sync, what should that be set to and what does it do exactly?
Thanks in advance guys! :thumbsup:
Oh thats not how scanline sync works. The number you put in there is not the refresh rate. Simply put, start with any negative number ( -10) and see where your image is tearing/splitting in-game. Now you increase the negative number (-30 -50 -100 etc etc) until the tearing is pushed down enough that it becomes invisible.

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4916

It requires some breathing space on the GPU. It wont work always smoothly if the gpu is running above 70 or 80%. Also, Scanline sync will limit the framerate to your monitor hz. This is why some people say scanline sync adds lag compared to no-vsync, because before scanline sync their games would be running uncapped at crazy high FPS much above the monitor hz, and with scanline sync they are now running at 60hz or whatever your monitor can handle. This introduces input lag because the game engine itself is updating at 60hz instead of 150 or 200fps (which is standard for AMS, R3E and AC1).

Every method is a balance between input-lag and smoothness. Unless you have freesync/gsync, you have to chose which is more important to you.

also, if you have a 144hz monitor and your GPU can only run ACC at 80~100FPS, click the "scanline sync" words and it will change to scanline sync/2 or scanline sync x2

The first will cap the game at half the refresh rate (72FPS), and the later will allow the game to run at double the hz (288FPS). With ACC you obviously want the first method.

@Fernando Deutsch you could probably use this method instead of capping manually at 75FPS in game. Click scanline sync until it becomes scanline sync/2 and you will be capped at 72FPS which will sync perfectly. Using in-game fps limiters usually is a bad idea because of huge input lag penalties due to bad coding.

Oh thats not how scanline sync works. The number you put in there is not the refresh rate. Simply put, start with any negative number ( -10) and see where your image is tearing/splitting in-game. Now you increase the negative number (-30 -50 -100 etc etc) until the tearing is pushed down enough that it becomes invisible.

https://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=4916

It requires some breathing space on the GPU. It wont work always smoothly if the gpu is running above 70 or 80%. Also, Scanline sync will limit the framerate to your monitor hz. This is why some people say scanline sync adds lag compared to no-vsync, because before scanline sync their games would be running uncapped at crazy high FPS much above the monitor hz, and with scanline sync they are now running at 60hz or whatever your monitor can handle. This introduces input lag because the game engine itself is updating at 60hz instead of 150 or 200fps (which is standard for AMS, R3E and AC1).

Every method is a balance between input-lag and smoothness. Unless you have freesync/gsync, you have to chose which is more important to you.
Nah, I was saying I would use RTSS to limit my fps to 60 and asking what number I should use for scan line sync.
It looks like using scan line sync I don't have to limit fps as by enabling this is will lock to refresh rate anyway, which in my case is 60fps/60hz
Thanks for the explanation, I am going to test -10 on the scan line sync and see how it looks/feels :)

Ok, so testing just a bit, hot stint at Brands in the good ole Boatley

V-Sync on in game, locked to 60fps smooth as silk slightly obvious input lag, but hardly noticeable when attacking the circuit.

RTSS scan line sync with -10, no v-sync on RTSS or in game, smooth as silky butter, hardly any noticeable input lag

No scan line, no v-sync, FPS between 110 and 122, stutters and the odd tear hear and there through the fast corners, same kind of looking input lag though...

Yes. I think my TV does have a Gaming mode. Will need to check that later.
Maybe that's why I'm not really feeling the lag too much. Although I really want to test all options to see how it looks/feels. I know I get little stutters here and there when I don't have v-sync on, but then it can be track dependent. Lots of testing to be done. Which means more bum in seat time which is just peachy for me! :thumbsup:
And an update, my tv does have game mode but it wasn't on...
So switched it on and waiting for an opportunity to test it.

I dont care what problem you have with me mate.

Not all in-game limiters have issues, and not all external limiters have issues. But because some have and its hard to tell which ones, its recommended to stick with what you know works well unless you know for sure the in-game also works as intended. I couldn't care less what you think is true or false. I account for all variables and recommend the safest bet.

Edit:
ingame limiter of BFV is the lastest example I can remember. there are many other games doing bad in-game limiters.
5euctnfamxd21.png

another test starting from 4:56s

Last edited:
How do you cap fps in RTTS? Do I have to check some other boxes? For some reason it's not working in games.
rtts.png

Despite having freesync monitor, 'gsync' enabled in nvidia control panel and ingame fps limit @74 (75hz monitor) I'm still getting screen tear. Any ideas? I'm also using new drivers and fullscreen mode.

Yep. Or just press "global".

Edit: actually you shouldn't be seeing tearing with gsync. Whats your monitor range? up to 75hz? You probably see tearing because the game goes above 75hz. I suppose thats why you are trying to limit to 74fps which is what Tutorials say its best to limit 1fps bellow your freesync limit, so, 74fps.

Last edited:
Aww that makes sense lol. Thanks guys, working now - almost no tear with 70fps cap.
How do you check the actual .exe file? Through task manager?

Edit: Dan, my monitor is 75hz, with freesync range from 40 to 75hz. Still, the tear is here;)

Last edited:
@Fernando Deutsch you could probably use this method instead of capping manually at 75FPS in game. Click scanline sync until it becomes scanline sync/2 and you will be capped at 72FPS which will sync perfectly. Using in-game fps limiters usually is a bad idea because of huge input lag penalties due to bad coding.

Yep, will try that and compare how much input lag the scanline sync/2 vs scanline and ACC cap results.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.