Stutter Stutter or Smooth as Butter

Brands Hatch especially, even in practice screen stutter. I think it's not just me and maybe down to the unreal engine? I've tried all different things so if you're smooth as Butter, please post your settings and how you're eliminating it. Thank you.

Acer Predator X34p
I 7-6700k
Nvidia 1080ti
16gb Ram a lam.
And not forgetting my brand new Master Cooler 212 Evo

It's not really about being faster without input lag just like that.
It's opening the possibility to improve more efficiently and when in the need to react fast, you'll be a little bit quicker.
So input lag won't give you better lap times. It will make you a bit safer and it will make your practice a little bit more efficient.

Trading input lag for stutter or tearing might make things worse though as you'll lose a bit of concentration and focus.
With stutter you might even disturb your brain from predicting things correctly.

But for sure try everything and see what feels best :)

Input lag isn't something you really feel if you didn't experience lower input lag yet. And your brain is pretty good and compensating it. Especially if you don't know it better!

Friend of mine plays lots of shooters. He's always good in multiplayer. Every time I visited him and we got to be at his pc, I was annoyed by the input lag of his monitor (actually a hybrid TV/monitor, 27" Samsung).

Now he jumped on the ultra wide wagon and got the Dell aw3418dw. Gsync, 100 Hz, one of the lowest input lags available according to tests.

He thought it'd be nice but the input lag wasn't blowing him away.
He then went back to his old monitor and then the glass was shattered, lol.
Mind = blown :p

I don't notice input lag but now I've started using the view without the steering wheel, I definitely don't notice. I have to have vsync and gsync to try and get a smoother experience. I still get occasional stutter and online but I think that's lag spike. I wish we didn't have these issues and could just get on with the racing.

I don't notice input lag but now I've started using the view without the steering wheel, I definitely don't notice. I have to have vsync and gsync to try and get a smoother experience. I still get occasional stutter and online but I think that's lag spike. I wish we didn't have these issues and could just get on with the racing.
Since you have gsync active and not reaching the maximum fps/hz of your monitor due to your fps limiter, you don't have the vsync-input-lag.
What you have is the gsync input lag, which is basically nothing. So yeah, you don't notice any input lag, since you don't have any :D

Lag with vsync is subjective to your monitor native input lag/hz, and has been blown out of proportion. Check for yourselves how much it increases. Just enable "view steering wheel" and now move your real steering wheel fast to both sides and see if there is lag on screen.

At 120hz it increases my input lag by 8~16ms depending if its double buffered. I can notice it just a little bit on my 55" TV in game mode, and its insane to have it disabled when there is so much benefit in ACC.

Some idiots like GamerMuscle on youtube have a 144hz monitor where activating vsync would increase input lag by 6~12ms but he still insists that its the devil, and as a result the gameplay is completely choppy and stuttery on his streams.

If you do have a slower monitor and you can clearly see an increased delay in the wheel movement, then download RTSS and enable scanline sync
P5TTzoW.png

It has to be said, if your monitor supports Freesync/Gsync none of the above is necessary.

I am Lagless lol

Input Lag comparison from a youtube video. Blacked the irrelevant stuff and added the limiter notes:
Input_Lag_Comparison.JPG

Input lag of the Alienware 34" 1440p:
upload_2019-6-12_12-1-31.png

So the lag of the monitor with gsync will be between 5.3-13.1 ms.

No sync = 36 ms
vsync = 56 ms
gsync & vsync without limiter and hitting max Hz so vsync kicks in = 56 ms
gsync % vsync but limited = 36 ms

nvidia inspector limiter is ****. Ingame or rtss it is!

So you see, gsync gives basically no input lag at all and your monitor has basically no input lag either!

video:
test:
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_alienware_aw3418dw.htm

To state the input lag simply depends on your setup and "has been blown out of proportion" is gross oversimplification at best. The lag created by your monitor is only one piece of the puzzle. It most certainly depends on the game as well, otherwise there shouldn't be input lag variances as big as almost imperceptible in AMS to what feels like half a second (emphasis on "feels") in ACC with vsync enabled, the worst of any games I play.

Also, enabling scanline sync in RTSS definitely induces input lag as well, I've tried (just like I said before it likely will, I might add).

Whether it is mostly just a visual lag or whether it does have an effect on my pace I can't really tell, but I can absolutely tell you I just can't drive with an on-screen wheel that follows the movement of my real wheel with an annoying delay. And I want to have the wheel on screen, so turning it off is not an option.

To state the input lag simply depends on your setup and "has been blown out of proportion" is gross oversimplification at best. The lag created by your monitor is only one piece of the puzzle. It most certainly depends on the game as well, otherwise there shouldn't be input lag variances as big as almost imperceptible in AMS to what feels like half a second (emphasis on "feels") in ACC with vsync enabled, the worst of any games I play.

Also, enabling scanline sync in RTSS definitely induces input lag as well, I've tried (just like I said before it likely will, I might add).

Whether it is mostly just a visual lag or whether it does have an effect on my pace I can't really tell, but I can absolutely tell you I just can't drive with an on-screen wheel that follows the movement of my real wheel with an annoying delay. And I want to have the wheel on screen, so turning it off is not an option.
Why do you want the on screen wheel? Try the second cockpit view without the wheel then you won't notice your lag.

Remember this is not the official support forum.
It's nice to share your experience and data but it won't make much difference for ks devs because they happen to have an official support forum.
From time to time they could occasionally read
I don't post in here for the benefit of Kunos Devs, I post here because there are some very knowledgeable people that know about technical stuff. If I need a Kunos dev to answer then I post in the support forum. Thank you

Why do you want the on screen wheel? Try the second cockpit view without the wheel then you won't notice your lag.
I for example have my wheel quite a bit below the monitor. My desk is mainly office/studying and therefore not really well positioned for racing.
It's all ergonomically okay but when I look on the screen I don't really have my real wheel in focus so looking at the virtual wheel helps me a lot for immersion etc.

With gsync I don't have any lag in everything but acc. Although acc is fine too, it's still a little visible there.

The dashboard camera position is a bit too close to the windscreen for my taste. Looks weird.
However I do move the seat a good chunk forward (and upward) when using the normal cockpit view.

My 2 cents :p

PS: I do love that there's a dashboard cam available though. Great for broadcast and for people who have the position nailed :)

If you can stand the horrible input lag, then yes, that is always the smoothest option.
I almost always use the bonnet cam (pillars blocking my view isn't remotely immersive for me, cos I don't have VR or even 3D), so I don't notice the in-game wheel-lag issue. I must give it a go and see how bad it is for me. It would I'm sure bug the hell out of me if I noticed it. It would also make me wonder if it was visual or if in fact the physics was lagging too.
So the lag of the monitor with gsync will be between 5.3-13.1 ms.

No sync = 36 ms
vsync = 56 ms
gsync & vsync without limiter and hitting max Hz so vsync kicks in = 56 ms
gsync % vsync but limited = 36 ms

nvidia inspector limiter is ****. Ingame or rtss it is!
And now I'm really struggling to make sense of these numbers. How can they add 20+ ms by tweaking the display driver behaviour?! On even a bog-standard 60 Hz display, waiting a WHOLE extra frame only adds 16.7 ms, so it ought to be less on average. On a 144-ish Hz display, it shouldn't be possible to have to wait more than an extra 7 ms. So clearly I'm misunderstanding something pretty major about what they're doing here...

And now I'm really struggling to make sense of these numbers. How can they add 20+ ms by tweaking the display driver behaviour?! On even a bog-standard 60 Hz display, waiting a WHOLE extra frame only adds 16.7 ms, so it ought to be less on average. On a 144-ish Hz display, it shouldn't be possible to have to wait more than an extra 7 ms. So clearly I'm misunderstanding something pretty major about what they're doing here...
Yep.. No idea. It basically is like vsync but without syncing, only buffering :roflmao:

Input lag isn't something you really feel if you didn't experience lower input lag yet. And your brain is pretty good and compensating it. Especially if you don't know it better!

Very long time ago when I switched from vsync to no vsync it was a massive difference on the sensation and feedback I got on my wheel. It improved everything: laptimes, confidence, consistency, etc. This was almost on all sims. Not to long ago, I somehow turned vsync on on ACC EA and I simply could not drove the car. I though there was some setup issues or something related to a change of EA versions. Once I realize it was vsync on, switching it back to off reverted everything to normal.

I have a 144hz monitor and even with vsync on I have more lag comparing to capping fps at 75 on ACC and vsync off.

The way I got complete off stuttering and tearing was doing what @Dan Costa recommends with RTSS and enabling scanline sync and capping fps at 75 or 85 on ACC.

So I have a pretty old, (circa 2010), Samsung 40" HDTV.
I know its 60hz but then again I read somewhere that the actual rate could be something more like 59.97?
Would you use RTSS to dial in the actual refresh rate of your display?
And is there any way to find out what that rate actually is?
Also, sorry for all the questions but I'm delving into this a lot more now, in RTSS scan line sync, what should that be set to and what does it do exactly?
Thanks in advance guys! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 371 16.0%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 255 11.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 247 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.8%