SteamVR constantly crashing with new Reverb G2

I just upgraded from a Rift S to a Reverb G2 specifically for simracing almost exclusively in Assetto Corsa (CM). I use CM (Content Manager), Sol, and CSP. I am having serious issues with SteamVR crashing. I've tried multiple things which I'll list below but I'm hoping someone can help me troubleshoot this to make this a playable experience.

Specs:
-I7-8700K (3.7GHz)
-Gigabyte GTX 1080ti
-Trident Z 16GB DDR4-3000 CL16 RAM

I mostly drift in AC and I seem to have noticed the crashing more often when I get in close proximity to another car. Apart from that, it's just random. I have tried playing Dirt Rally 2.0 as well and it crashes quite often as well. I have joined multiple servers on AC and I seem to not have issues at some times while I have really bad crashing issues during other times. However, all the servers I have tried are ones that I played on with my Rift S with no issues whatsoever. I have no idea what is causing these crashes and I'm not sure how to go about finding the cause.

Things I've tried:
-Turning settings very low in CM for both AC video and various CSP options.
-Turning resolution down to 50% in SteamVR settings. Specifically for per-application settings for AC. I've tried this with the global SteamVR resolution for the headset at 150% and at 100%.
-Enabling and disabling motion smoothing through the SteamVR settings and in the Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR plugin.-Used VRPerfKit and various settings within it.
-Used OpenComposite. Didn't seem to work in AC. Works fine in Dirt Rally 2.0 and crashes seemed to be prevented, however when using the OpenComposite switcher application, SteamVR still started when I joined an AC server.

I have a very strong suspicion that SteamVR is the issue not wanting to play nice with WMR. I don't want to bypass SteamVR entirely because I take advantage of all the SteamVR settings. I'm not sure how to, for example, adjust the resolution and supersampling of the G2 without using SteamVR settings.
Is there any other information I can offer to add more context or clarity to the situation? I greatly appreciate any help as I'm somewhat at my wit's end to make this G2 work. It's been my dream headset since I got into sim racing a long time ago and I just don't know how to make it work well.

I don't want to bypass SteamVR entirely because I take advantage of all the SteamVR settings. I'm not sure how to, for example, adjust the resolution and supersampling of the G2 without using SteamVR settings.

I'm afraid I don't have any immediate suggestions on crashing of steamVR as I switched to using opencomposite a few months back, but I can explain how you can adjust the resolution/SS with opencomposite if you are interested in experimenting with it further.

You have two options that I am aware of:

1. with the OpenXR Tools For WMR app (you can download this from the microsoft store IIRC)
2. with the OpenXR Toolkit (https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/) - you have to do this via the menus whilst in VR which can be a bit clunky, however this allows a lot of other settings to be tweaked too.

• Deleted member 197115

May be try OpenVR instead of OpenXR with OpenComposite.
With that you will have full control of rendering resolution via SteamVR, should be more stable too at some performance price.
If trying OpenXR, make sure that option to automatically start SteamVR in WMR Settings is turned off.
I was able to make OpenXR/OpenComposite run with AC and ACC that do not support OpenXR natively, but it's hit or miss, not every launch resulted in success, plenty of crashes in between.
With OpenXR, you control resolution via OpenXR tool by invoking it when in VR (Ctrl-F2), the default is 100%.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your specs, you are going to have to go opencomposite with xopenxr tools and use fixed foveated rendering and perhaps some other things like fsr.

I use AC CM PURE CSP without issue. I did have some issues trying to apply opencomposite on a per game basis so I just made it global as its just my simrig and all sims I use that for anyhow.

I haven't had a crash in AC with it and obviously not a steamvr crash as not using it.

• Deleted member 1066209

Are there any error messages that show up upon crashing? Or does the SteamVR application just disappear after Assetto Corsa shuts down?

[edit]: Also, have you overclocked your system at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was only able to resolve this by disabling hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling.

Attachments

• GPU Scheduling.jpg
    GPU Scheduling.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 71

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back