Steam dropping Windows 7 support Jan. 1, 2024

But yeah, I'm used to it now and windows 11 fixes a lot of this stuff but also introduces a new, reduced context menu, which could be nice but isn't configurable.
The Dropbox menu shows in the new one but you can't make things like nvidia control panel or "edit with notepad++" show up.
Holy crap - you can't add stuff to the context menu in W11?? OMFG, why would they do that :cry:

Having been in no hurry at all to adopt it, I now may never do so (unless a workaround is available) cos that's just stupid and I guess is maybe the tip of the iceberg of stupid stuff. May have to go back to Linux.

Holy crap - you can't add stuff to the context menu in W11?? OMFG, why would they do that :cry:
No no, you can. But there are two now haha.
Right click on a file gives you the new, reduced one. Only app that got in there is Dropbox currently.
Instead of cut/copy/paste you have 3 cute icons (to be honest quite handy and nice after getting used to them).
At the bottom is "show more", which switches to the win10 context menu with notepad++, 7-zip, add shortcut etc etc.

It's actually a nice idea but only if there would be an easy way to configure both so the first right click could be your personalised "favorites" menu and the "show more" could be plastered with a lot of stuff that would be way too much for the first right click.

It's actually a nice idea but only if there would be an easy way to configure both so the first right click could be your personalised "favorites" menu and the "show more" could be plastered with a lot of stuff that would be way too much for the first right click.
Yeah, sounds sensible. Having an extra click for the most-used personal stuff feels like the final straw for me.

Winaero you can customize the right click context in all OS.

context.jpg

P.S. Make sure to get latest version for extra W11 tweaks, a few for Edge added.
Install to archive and select "portable" version, saves re-install.
Export all saved tweaks to archive.
Make sure when asked to reboot or log-off when adding tweaks to existing tweaks and check "Recent changes" to make sure they were added before updating Import / Export tweaks.

winaero recent changes.jpg

Last edited:
I have successfully been able to get quite a few of my games to work without Steam. GTR2, GTLegends, they were easy just move to different folder and launch as Admin.

My rFactor1 Steam version was easy as well. Still working on Race07. EDIT: Race07 is now working without steam.

I now also have AMS1 running without Steam, that took a bit of doing but it's working now.

I am still working on RF2 and hopefully can get that and AMS2 running, closer to the end of the year when they are updated more, but before steam kills windows 7. I payed for these games and all DLC, I will make them work. I am not worried about online lobby's as I am single player against the AI and that is all I want.

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea