Steam dropping Windows 7 support Jan. 1, 2024

Johnny Speed

Premium
I am a die hard Windows 7 fan, but it looks like I either have to update to W10, or get a different PC.

My question is, if I update the OS to W10, will it wipe my drive? Will I lose everything and have to start over?

I have like 6 different rFactor 1 installs (not through steam), plus HistorX, and the Power and Glory mod for GTR2....Race07, ect...also all my current Steam games..AC, RF2...ect.

Will all that stuff get removed if I update? It may be easier to just get a new PC and leave my current one in "Offline Mode" forever until I get things installed on a new machine.

Also, what about the drivers for my ancient G25 and stuff I havent even thought of yet?

Please some advice if you guys have any for me.

If you're doing it via an OS Upgrade, it should in theory keep all your programs. Whether or not everything is seamless and works just like before is almost impossible to answer for sure.

If you have a spare hard drive kicking around you could clone your entire C drive, then use the clone to test out the upgrade process. That way you will still have the original drive if you decide to revert back to it. Some of the drive manufacturers offer cloning tools. Stay away from 3rd party tools.... go to the source!

With all that said, I always prefer to go the fresh install route. I've always found upgrades glitchy, but that's usually right after the new OS launches and not everything is ironed out. Windows 10 has been out for 7+ years already, so I would like to think the rough edges are gone by now.

Last edited:
some advice
Give up and go for new PC with Windows 11,
but read first about how to install it with a local account.
Download a install image to USB thumb drive
and blow away bloatware version bundled with new PCs.
If there is space for 2 monitors, consider
Barrier, free software that allows sharing a single mouse and keyboard between PCs
by dragging the mouse from one to the other.
Windows 10 is already doomed, and W11 cannot run on W7 hardware
without serious hacking.

Last edited:
I am a die hard Windows 7 fan, but it looks like I either have to update to W10, or get a different PC.
I have the exact same problem.
Because of this BAD Steam step I also have to adapt to the Win10/11 ****.:mad:
Like you I will have to build a complete new PC.
But my intention is to keep my Win7 install in a socalled Virtual Machine on the W11.
I dont know if it will work out but as I understand it then teoretically it should be possible.

Virtual Machine on the W11
One trick will be getting GPU support, supposing that running games on the Windows 7 VM is wanted. GPU virtualization. Another trick will be audio support.
Nvidia supported GPU passthru e.g. for Linux host with gaming on a Windows virtual machine,
but that requires one GPU for Linux and another for the VM.

Trying to share a GPU is called partitioning, which reportedly works for VM by Windows Hyper-V for matching host and client configurations, e.g. both Windows 11, but not mismatched VM client and host. GPU Paravirtualization on Windows Hyper-V

What may work (what I would try):
  • A PC with CPU having integrated graphics and a separate GPU
  • Dual booting Windows 11
    • one Windows 11 boot partition for Windows 11 gaming
    • another Windows 11 boot partition for VM host,
      passing the separate GPU to VM client Windows 7 for gaming.

Thanks @blekenbleu
Saved your proposal for later.
But it looks (and is probably) a bit complicated.
So I will expand my project to 2 PCs.
My old Win7 as it is now with among other things the Steam stuff and my personal things.
+ a virgin new Win11 with new installed Steam and my few Steam sims.
And then a virtual machine on the Win11 where I will try to imigrate some stuff from my Win7.

BæTheWay: But if I will be unable to use the new graphic card from the Win11 PC to the virtual Win7 then there is not much reason to mess with such a virtual Win7 machine - me think:mad:

Last edited:
That is what I am planning as well. Keep my W7 machine in perpetual "offline" mode FOREVER!!! And get a new one to learn everything all over again. I dunno, maybe steam will be cool and let us use a "legacy" client..but I doubt it.

maybe steam will be cool and let us use a "legacy" client..but I doubt it.
Honestly I dont understand why they need to discard Win7.
Im more or less sure there is no proper technical reason.
Hehe beside that MS are pushing because there are still millions stubborn Win7 users out there.:whistling:

BæTheWay: As I understand it its the same with iRacing. The game would happily run on Win7 but they have made login impossible if you stay with this OS.
Cruel world :mad:

Last edited:
CatsAreTheWorstDogs: But if I will be unable to use the new graphic card from the Win11 PC to the virtual Win7 then there is not much reason to mess with such a virtual Win7 machine - me think:mad:

Since Steam will still not support games by VM Windows 7, cost/benefit is debatable.
Win 7 dual boot in a new PC with UEFI and TPM could also be a hassle.

If the Win11 processor has integrated graphics, Win 11 can be configured to use that,
leaving the graphic card for virtual Win 7. That would want dual boot Win 11,
so that one could be configured to game with the graphic card.

FWIW, I gave up VM configuration hassles years ago, but still dual boot some PCs
and have multiple Windows and Mac PCs (dual boot and not)
for hardware and software no longer supported by newer OS versions.

For migration (e.g. from Win 7), cloning its drive to a second (or third) drive partition
in new (Win11) PC, facilitates selectively copying stuff from old to new
without accidently damaging the original. Such activity wants a USB drive adapter,
e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077N2KK27
A more modern equivalent: External M.2 NVME SATA SSD Enclosure Adapter, USB 3.2 Gen

Thanks for the advices @blekenbleu - appreciated :thumbsup:
At least this threat/announcement from Steam makes me to realise that eventhoug I have collected/installed tons of programs on my 4x Win7 partitions in 10+ years time then it will probably be rather few I will miss if I just get my mail thing and personal stuff moved to the Win11 PC.
Of games Im only a bit unsure if my NR2003/GTP mod install is easy to transfer.
But as I remember from my transfer of this game from Win98>Win7 then there is almost nothing in the registry so I can probably just manually copy it over.

BæTheWay: I have to readup on how to destroy the almost criminal way MS via telemetry does spy on what I have and what I do on my own socalled personal computer. None of these problems existed in Win7.:mad:

Last edited:
Has anyone run a Linux distro to run their racing sims on? I read POP!_OS is supposed to be pretty good, comes with NVIDIA drivers upon install. But...I am computer illiterate so...I have no clue. Would rFactor, AMS1...ect run on pop_os?

Has anyone run a Linux distro to run their racing sims on? I read POP!_OS is supposed to be pretty good, comes with NVIDIA drivers upon install. But...I am computer illiterate so...I have no clue. Would rFactor, AMS1...ect run on pop_os?
I use Ubuntu on my main computer. There was just as much fuss with drivers as with Windows, but it was much easier to do because Linux has a more developed console.
rFactor works on Ubuntu without any problems.

My question is, if I update the OS to W10, will it wipe my drive? Will I lose everything and have to start over?

I have like 6 different rFactor 1 installs (not through steam), plus HistorX, and the Power and Glory mod for GTR2....Race07, ect...also all my current Steam games..AC, RF2...ect.

Will all that stuff get removed if I update? It may be easier to just get a new PC and leave my current one in "Offline Mode" forever until I get things installed on a new machine.

Also, what about the drivers for my ancient G25 and stuff I havent even thought of yet?

Please some advice if you guys have any for me.
What makes you a Windows 7 fan in 2023? It's not like Windows 10 is too demanding...

What makes you a Windows 7 fan in 2023? It's not like Windows 10 is too demanding...
Starts with the double system control panels with the new one not having all settings and ends with many buttons not visibly being buttons but just flat symbols in a flat area and you having to know what's a button and what's just text.
Did you know that you can only drag the explorer Windows when clicking at the upper part of the white area at the top but not when clicking in the bottom half?
At default it's just one area.
f824737b-1c84-9a5f-929c-7c3a3cb60391.png

But yeah, I'm used to it now and windows 11 fixes a lot of this stuff but also introduces a new, reduced context menu, which could be nice but isn't configurable.
The Dropbox menu shows in the new one but you can't make things like nvidia control panel or "edit with notepad++" show up.

Many things are "enhanced" in Windows 10/11 compared to 7, but a lot of things are also way worse so it depends on your daily use case scenario what's better for you.

Mostly because I am comfortable with it, know it's quirks and know how to fix them.
I do not want to mess up the YEARS of tweaking my rig to my liking by updating the OS, so I will just get a different PC when the deadline gets closer. And thanks for the info about LINUX, glad it's a viable alternative.

But yeah, I'm used to it now and windows 11 fixes a lot of this stuff but also introduces a new, reduced context menu, which could be nice but isn't configurable.
View attachment 664657

I can't stand any extras in Explorer, all I need is the drive letters.
No quick access, onedrive, network or anything else.
w10 01.jpg

Same as start menu, nothing but CP dropdown, shutdown and restart.
I don't use "all programs" either, it's blank as is metro.
Everything else is right click context.
w10 03.jpg

Last edited:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play