Starting a wheel build. Tips/Suggestions?

Hey guys,

I have decided to build a wheel from scratch. It will be based on this year's MP4/25 steering wheel:
AML1023_1.jpg

(apologies for the big picture)

The couple of sticking points/questions before I start in mid/late October are:

1. What kind of wood is best (if it is the best material-bare in mind composites are difficult and expensive)? Theoretically, it should be as light as possible, but also strong enough to take the force feedback of a G27, having been scalloped to accept an SLI-PRO and buttons etc.
  2. How would I best go about making the handles? Suede/Alcantara? Rubber/silicone? Leather?
  3. The USB wire from the SLI-PRO, how is this best managed? Is it possible to route it through the wheel body itself? If not, how should I work it?
  4. How easy is it to modify the paddles on the G27? If it is difficult, how hard would it be to make paddle shifters on the wheel?
  5. On the above note, I am very keen on clutch paddles. Does anyone have some kind of tutorial on making them work reasonably well with potentiometers?
Cheers guys-it's a big project, and I look forward to sharing it with you all.

Apologies from the double post, but the wheel part of this has, unfortunately, been placed in the 'this is the wrong time to do this' bin.

You may have noted that this has been very, very slow in getting started, and when I got started with ordering etc., it basically went stagnant. Basically, my current commitments of work, year 11 and 12 (form 5 and 6 for you Brian), the related exams, the fact that my grandparents are at that age where it's not really a pleasant state to be around, the fact that I'm going to be in a temporary house for 12 months while the house that we are currently in is destroyed due to significant structural issues and a new one rebuilt, has basically made the most significant part of this project (the steering wheel) physically and mentally impractical for myself, and those who would be helping me on my side.

I will likely build a button box with what I have, with a Red Bull style dash interface. I will likely source a wheel from the guy that built Brian's wheel plate. These are relatively simple, and quite a lot easier.

In saying this, I would like to thank all of the guys here, and especially Brian, for the help they have provided me with so far. Without you guys, this wouldn't have even started. Keep it up guys, your helpfulness has absolutely no limits.

And Brian, if you could provide me with a cost estimate for a wheel from the guy who made your plate, and even his email, that would really be awesome.

Cheers guys, I may see you on track.

Upvote 0
I will likely source a wheel from the guy that built Brian's wheel plate.

Brians makes all his own stuff, so likely the wheel plate you have seen is what Brian has made :)

So sorry to hear about all the reasons why you cant continue your build.

Think positively in that this is the kind of project that can be restarted in a year or two`s time and by then you should have the time and mental state to get it all done as fast as you would hope.

Wishing you all the best Tom :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back