Starforce and Windows 8

Sonat Ozturk

Sector3 Studios
Just two things in case anyone is having problems.

- The demo is using StarForce file protection system, exactly the same as in R3E. If you are having problems due to SF, please turn off any dvd emulator or similar 3rd party software you have running.

- Windows 8 Users: You might get a warning;

Windows Protected your PC
Windows SmartScreen prevented an unrecognized app from starting. Running this app might put your PC at risk.

Publisher: SimBin Studios AB
App: DTM_Experience_Demo_Setup.exe

- Please click more and then click Run Anyway.

I can confirm that there is no risk whatsoever. The warning is due to the demo being a downloaded software and not having enough reputation within the Windows 8 App system. Once enough demo's have been downloaded this warning will disappear.

Last edited:
the starforce that is on isnt like the starforce of old ; this isnt installed in the classic way it just checks that certain things arent running/happening ... treat it more as a punkbuster style app

Seems even better than the errorbuster and no having any annoying process stationing in my process every day.
I think new starforce >>>>>>Andromeda>>>>extra dimension>>>>>:poop:punkbuster

It's not a "myth" Bram ... there's no other explanation of what happened to my DVD drive that I bought to play Silent Hunter III .. and with the number of people it happened to, it is WELL beyond mere myth. There's a reason companies stopped using Starforce and why Starforce themselves changed their software. Their PR machine is what has turned this Truth into an alleged myth. Starforce was VERY aggressive against anything that could be even remotely construed to be a "piracy" tool, including hardware disc-burners and virtual drives. Not only did it destroy many many peoples' disc-burners, it also pooched many more peoples' OSes .. but at least a mere total re-install fixed that one.
Why are you so defensive of Starforce? There's plenty of better options available. DRM/anti-cheat tools are just fine by me, but not anything as aggressive as the history of Starforce.

PLENTY of people had their hardware destroyed (DVD burners specifically) due to Starforce. Look it up. ..
And yes, software CAN destroy hardware. Don't be silly Justin.
PROVING in a court that Starforce was at fault is certainly pretty difficult. However, the number of people it happened too is FAR beyond mere coincidence. The fact remains that after the hubbub, loads of companies dropped Starforce, AND Starforce changed their software .. while, of course, denying everything.
EDIT: Okay, looked it up again ... Starforce USED TO install "hidden" device drivers, and this is what led to problems. It would put optical drives into PIO mode, which would lead to instability and ultimately device damage.
NOW they no longer install device drivers. While this is certainly better, I still stand against Starforce.

Last edited:
The StarForce we're using is not the "old" draconian version of Starforce. Our version is running on a basic user-application basis and it does not install any drivers.

I admit StarForce has/had a bad reputation due to their old versions but that's not what we're using.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.