Tracks Some advices for creating trees for Assetto Corsa mod track?

reading this: https://assettocorsamods.net/threads/setting-up-trees.162/
the y-trees are meant like this (exploded, ignore sloppy drawing):
1602767960335.png

Last edited:
This site has two good packs of free and high quality tree textures.
Thanks a lot, got these already downloaded. The textures aren't the problem here, it's my inability to create a project in Blender for RTB's Xpacker that is the problem. But a great share indeed :inlove:

idk if its any good but did you look at xpack section?

it has a tree pack too, preview: https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/trees-xpack.96236/post-3276231

mostly for BTB, but take a look about xpacks here, especially comment from "SquidCap":
Hey, it's me again! I don't know what am I doing wrong. I did convert these to RTB and they work as they are. As soon as I touch one of their textures I can't load them into RTB (it crashes on entering) or even put them into Xpacker. Strange :(

Oh c'mon, you did that? That's sweet. Too bad you didn't post it here. [..] About learning Blender, yes, basics are easy to learn but if you check any of these tutorials, they aren't as basic as it seems.

Look, in Blender, what I did and where I got lost;

I deleted the cube that you get at the start. I created a plane (my first question that I didn't have the answer to was, how big should the plane be?) I created a plane number two, and number three. To be able to create a Y-tree, I got to a conclusion there should be 120 degrees angle between the planes. Somehow managed to do that. But what then? Do I make these three planes a single object? Or not? I saw some posts regarding shading that say I should split the planes in half, so I did that.
Hm, yeah, sometimes tutorials are like "just give it a Scatter modifier, adjust settings, and done!" whereas usually there is a lot more involved.
The three planes you made can be joined into one object. Select them all in Object mode and hit "CTRL+J" (or in the menu, Object > Join). Now it's one object. You need to give the vertices some UV coordinates. Go into Edit mode, select the polygons ("A" will select all polygons), right click > UV Unwrap > Unwrap. Depending on your mesh (if your vertices are joined for instance) you can get either good or bad results. It's usually easier to make one plane, UV map it, then copy and rotate to get the full Y-tree. Go to the tab "UV Editing" and it will bring up a new screen with the UV map. At the top you can select what background image you want to view (this has no affect on what texture is being used. That's all handled by giving the object a material, assigning the polygons to that material if they aren't already, and assigning a texture to that material. Took me a while to figure out how that worked exactly, let me know if you need to know), and select and move the vertices to the right location.
1602824899599.png

Following Lilski's advice on better tree lighting, that cut can be made quite easily. In Edit mode, press "2" to go into Edge selection and select all vertical edges (if you draw the rectangle from right to left, everything that crosses its path will be selected (only if it's not occluded, best to enable XRay (Alt+Z or the icon on the top right of the viewport with the partly dashed line squares)). Draw it from left to right and only anything that is fully inside it will be selected. Much like many other programmes, such as SU). Then go to Edge > Subdivide, and you'll have a new cut right through the middle. If you want to move that up and down without affecting the texture, select the newly created edges or vertices and press "G" "G" to 'edge slide' them.

That's one tree done. If you're using RTB to scatter them around the track, then that's all. If you want to use Blender, oh boy you're gonna have a fun time :rolleyes: It's really powerful, but not very intuitive.
And then the naming convention is another thing.
If you're willing to go down that route, I could make some kind of tutorial on very basic level.

The other thing. I did create a couple of textures in PS and exported them as PNG and as DDS texture, just to try many different ways. Which DDS format should I use is also the question? People say DX5, but where in the export does it say DX5?
DXT3 and DXT5 are similar, just that their alpha channel is handled differently. From my understanding, if you need soft transparency, DXT5 [edit: thanks Stereo] is the way to go (for clouds or smoke), whereas if you need harder transparency (like on a fence or on a tree with leafs) you're better off using DXT3.
RGBA or ABRG might be the notation of your country? All those letters stand for are Red, Green, Blue, Alpha, the four channels it exports.
PNG's or JPG's are highly unrecommended. It might work fine on some more modern machines, but especially old GPU's will suffer a lot, usually resulting in massive stutters.

Last edited:
Oh yes, sorry, here's a tree :p (remove the .txt)

And about the size of the planes.. It all depends. Depends on how big your actual trees must be, depends on the size of texture (are they 1:1 aspect ratio, or 1:4 for thin tall trees?). I'd say make it 10 m high, then scaling to whatever you need is easy. Trees can be 8 m but they can also be 30. If you have unfiltered height data, trees will show up and it makes scaling very easy.

Attachments

• blender tree.blend.txt
    583.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
DXT3 and DXT5 are similar, just that their alpha channel is handled differently. From my understanding, if you need soft transparency, DXT3 is the way to go (for clouds or smoke), whereas if you need harder transparency (like on a fence or on a tree with leafs) you're better off using DXT5.
Other way around, DXT5 has better alpha for soft transitions, so trees should use DXT3 and probably alphatest materials.

Last edited:
You guys are great! Thank you very much for the help. I unfortunately had to reinstall Windows and after a couple of days of struggle, somehow managed to get everything up and running. What I wanted to say is, I can finally try what you guys posted in previous posts.

Hey guys, I wanted to jump in and ask something because I'm also having basic issues with trees.
I've figured out how to model a Y tree (ChicAnne I can go into detail because after some trial and error, I can do it relatively quickly), but the problem is that the lighting is all screwed up in the ksEditor and game. I'm very much in the rough draft stage but here's my problem.
TreeIssue1.jpg

It's like it's casting a completely black shadow on itself. It looks fine in blender, but not in the engine. I tried LilSki's advice and subdivided in half top to bottom, but then it turned out like this:
TreeIssue2.jpg

I'm wondering if the issue is because I did not explode it. All I did was duplicate the faces and flip the normals on the duplicated faces. It seems kinda weird doing that because these trees are each like 30 triangles now.
I also thought maybe it was doing that because the bottom was sticking through the ground, so I tried floating it above ground but it still does it.

I fixed it, I'll explain the process for anyone lost like I was.
STEP 1: Make trees like this, be confused
TreeSolved2.jpgTreeSolved1.jpg
Notice that the original object was literally a y-shape with all polys connected. What I did was duplicate the faces (shift D) and flip their normals, which looked fine in blender but did this in engine.
STEP 2: Do a 'story-book explode'
TreeSolved4.jpg
It doesn't have to be geometrically precise. But this will leave a crease of air running down the middle of your tree, as in the first example.TreeSolved3.jpg
STEP 3: I decided to try putting the inner vertices in the same position (NOT MERGED) to eliminate the crease, which resulted in the second tree.
STEP 4: I decided to also try smushing the outer vertices together so that the tree doesn't have this weird effect where the dead-on section would be invisible (third tree above).
Step 3 and then 4:
TreeSolved5.jpgTreeSolved6.jpg

Now I just need to find a new tree texture because the alpha channel on this one is awful.

Last edited:
Yeah that's what I meant with not merging vertices. You can do Shift+D and flip the faces just fine, as long as you don't (auto)merge the vertices :)

(or make one V shape and Shift+D + rotate 120 deg - or any other way)

Hey! Please use this thread if needed and ask for help here, be my guest. I just came here to say I finally made it. I use RTB and this is my only option for now. Today I got the first tree working in that program. Big thanks to everybody that helped!!! Toxiciron, I'm glad you made yours work too.

Attachments

• Tree success 1.png
    Tree success 1.png
    565.5 KB · Views: 209

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back