So I just bought an Oculus Rift S...

EdL

Naked and Afraid
So I just bought an Oculus Rift S and ... was I expecting too much?

I've been testing for an hour and my initial impression is the visuals are soft, fuzzy and give the feeling of blurred vision.

I have AA on 3x and super-sampling at 1.5x. Any higher and my Vega64 drops frames.

To be honest, unless I have some settings wrong, I'm pretty let down by the experience. :(

edit: perhaps I've been spoilt by my Ultrawide which is not only high rez but high pixel density. The difference between the screen and VR is like watching a television from the 80s!

Well, in fairness to VR - it's made me 0.5s faster and more consistent already... and I've only had it a few hours.

I'll persevere.

I've got a Valve Index on order too, hopefully that's a bit better (heard it's crisper and better FOV).
One of the things you'll find in VR, is that the straights seem to appear much, much shorter.
The Kemmel straight at Spa feels really long when you use a monitor. On the Rift or WMR headset, it goes by rather quickly.
You do have a much better perception of where you need to place the car.
I'd advise anybody running VR to make certain the virtual cockpit lines up visually with the actual seating position.
I usually will lift the headset and re-center several times prior to taking to the track.
That can make a world of difference as well.
Glad you are starting to enjoy the experience.
It is a lot of fun once you dial it in

Reactions: EdL
Upvote 0
I usually will lift the headset and re-center several times prior to taking to the track.

There is centering the HMD and then there is moving your position within the cockpit. The first time I'm in a car, I typically have to adjust where I am in the cockpit using the Fore/Aft and Up/Down controls after centering the HMD. Once I've set my position in the car the software packages tend to remember that so that I only need to recenter myself from that point forward.

Upvote 0
Does the 'S' have an IPD adjuster like the CV1?

no ; https://www.windowscentral.com/can-you-adjust-ipd-oculus-rift-s

It does indeed have IPD and I have tweaked it

No it does not, the S does not have the manual IPD adjustment we have on the CV1. Not sure what you think you have "tweaked", but you might want to re-visit that one.:rolleyes:

(Please @EdL do not forget to mark my post as funny, as you always do, that is how I know you have read it):whistling:

Upvote 0
There is centering the HMD and then there is moving your position within the cockpit. The first time I'm in a car, I typically have to adjust where I am in the cockpit using the Fore/Aft and Up/Down controls after centering the HMD. Once I've set my position in the car the software packages tend to remember that so that I only need to recenter myself from that point forward.
What I mean is that I first center my virtual world insde the headset and then center that to my monitor and seated position.

Upvote 0
no ; https://www.windowscentral.com/can-you-adjust-ipd-oculus-rift-s

No it does not, the S does not have the manual IPD adjustment we have on the CV1. Not sure what you think you have "tweaked", but you might want to re-visit that one.:rolleyes:

(Please @EdL do not forget to mark my post as funny, as you always do, that is how I know you have read it):whistling:

IPD adjustment was 'tweaked' in the APP. I never stated it was a physical tweak. So you might want to revisit your attitude, you little keyboard warrior.

Treat others as you expect to be treated yourself. Aka if you can't act civil don't comment.

Upvote 0
Technology is still about 20 years away,all the Valve Index’s will be worth 50 dollars then.

I will be too old by then to enjoy vr but atm it is too blurry to even waste money on.

Gpus are ridiculously overpriced especially Nvidia,plus simracing is a casual hobby for me,I am a drummer ,one cymbal costs a few hundred these days.

The World is very sad and depressing now with products getting more expensive.

Our family in the 70’s used to sit watching a 20 inch colour tv and be happy.

The World today is getting more narcissist and intellectual racist by the year where the smart and rich get everything and the poor end up living on the streets.

God has not helped at all,he is in bed with satan atm.

Upvote 0
In this case a misunderstanding over semantics.

Read all of his comments on this thread. They're condescending, especially on such a subjective matter, and not just towards me.

Is that how he talks to people in reality? I doubt it...

Anyway, water under the bridge.

Upvote 0
Technology is still about 20 years away,all the Valve Index’s will be worth 50 dollars then.

I will be too old by then to enjoy vr but atm it is too blurry to even waste money on.

Gpus are ridiculously overpriced especially Nvidia,plus simracing is a casual hobby for me,I am a drummer ,one cymbal costs a few hundred these days.

The World is very sad and depressing now with products getting more expensive.

Our family in the 70’s used to sit watching a 20 inch colour tv and be happy.

The World today is getting more narcissist and intellectual racist by the year where the smart and rich get everything and the poor end up living on the streets.

God has not helped at all,he is in bed with satan atm.

Blimey, that's quite the post.

I used to play drums and I hear you on the cymbals, but Zildjian sound so good!

Technology has made the world a smaller place, and has increased demand and output particularly consumerism. Because of that, people are impatient and less focused. In most cases access to 'things' is nearly instant, whereas in the past you had to wait - this goes for physical, digital and information goods/products.

Has stuff got more expensive? Inflation adjusted - no. It's more the case technology has given us more stuff to buy, to see and to do. We're flooded with stuff!

It can feel overwhelming at times.

As for god, well... I think he stopped taking calls a long time ago.

Upvote 0
In VR, I can see my brake marker, turn in point, apex point and then eyes on exit. While I wouldn't mind more distance clarity, I've never felt like it's been an issue for consistency in driving.

Maybe for learning new tracks distance clarity would help as you can try to guesstimate the corner coming up but once you know the track after a few laps, my eyes never drift that far.

Of course, I'd be all for getting 4x clarity. Who wouldn't want improvements in tech after all? VR is moving along quickly as a whole though.

I think there's certainly room for ultrawide/tripples/VR given people's preference and use cases.

Upvote 0
Not trying to get too far off topic, but he did have a point about wealth and power accumulation. There are many books on this subject, but the bottom line is that the middle class is being automated away forcing many into lower paying service positions. Meanwhile the consolidation of wealth, intellect and power has been very steady. Rather than marrying the girl or guy next door, young intelligent people meet their intellectual peers in college or professional circles after graduation. They in turn have a higher household income, their children tend to be more intelligent and get to go to the best schools and have every opportunity provided to them. Their success is all but assured. Our society is becoming more stratified. People a few rungs down the ladder have fewer opportunities and their peers have less resources. They don't live near, go to school with or have contact with people who are at different economic levels.

In hobbies like sim racing you have a cross section of First World society represented. As a result you do get a bunch of people debating purchases and complaining about waiting for the next toy. Seeing this can be frustrating to people who are unable to buy every new toy as it is released.

@smasha is just conveying a different perspective of our conversations here.

@EdL is also correct that the technological advances are improving the price per feature. If you look at the power of smart phones and the fact that a person can have in their pocket a Video Camera, Camera, TV, communication device, and a powerful computer attached to the Internet capable of real time language translation, and many other things in a device most of us now take for granted.

Upvote 0
Exactly @RCHeliguy and yet in some parts of the world, they don't even have fresh water to drink. Whereas we do. I can go to my utility room and get crushed ice for my drink, my food gets delivered to my door and someone cleans my clothes and house.

I never take that for granted, ever. I often feel guilty until I consider that I've worked hard for my wealth, really hard. Flat out with no holidays for over a decade, taking risks every day, 6 or 7-days a week. But even so I appreciate that what I can casually spend on 'toys' is simply unattainable for others.

It does make open discussion (on or offline) tricky sometimes because everyone is in a different situation. I wanted to try VR so I just bought a headset because I can... and then I'm here being negative about it. :redface: That I can see would aggravate some people. I certainly wasn't doing it on purpose or to bait a response, I was trying to be constructive and discuss the merits/the decision to purchase.

I also find it slightly ironic we've got on to the subject of life, liberty and being human, in a topic to discuss a virtual reality. :D

Upvote 0
In the 1970's sim racing didn't exist and real racing was expensive. Now you can pick up a used PC and/or console and a used wheel and almost anyone can afford to experience the thrill of racing.

In the 1970's I would be blind and my wife dead at our current ages (just due to the difference in medical tech).

As for unhappiness... I don't know but my guess would be information overload. People are constantly online comparing themselves and their lives to the best of everyone/everything. In the 1970's I probably would have just cobbled together something from the local Radio Shack and been ecstatic LOL. Seriously though, I'm grateful to be living in this era of DIY motion sim racing.

Upvote 0
I had a nightmare tonight in the RD club race.

It was fine during practice... then went weird in qualy. Then worse in the race, I had to stop.

When turning my head left or right, my vision would raise or lower, going back to centre was then off. I was high, low, left or right of centre. Worsening with each corner. I kept hitting reset to centre but it simply didn't fix the issue.

Upvote 0
Did you have a light on in your room? The inside out tracking needs some light to work correctly. I had something similar during a longish race with no light on where as the evening got darker the tracking played up.

Reactions: EdL
Upvote 0
Did you have a light on in your room? The inside out tracking needs some light to work correctly. I had something similar during a longish race with no light on where as the evening got darker the tracking played up.

Thanks, I only had my desk lamp on. I'll try with more lights and see if it improves.

Upvote 0
It was a light issue!

But even so I'm not sure I'm sold.

The screen door and low resolution is really distracting. The distance is just stars of pixels, it's a) impossible to see and b) really off-putting. :-(

I have tried with SS set at 2x and AA at max, but it's a VR hardware limitation. I think the next step of VR headsets should be good enough, but right now for me, I'm just not sold. I so wanted to love this!

I will order the HP and Valve Index to test as they both have higher resolutions.

Upvote 0

Latest News

What does easier access mean to you?

• Free access

Votes: 98 72.1%
  • Better structured events

Votes: 36 26.5%
  • Better structured forum

Votes: 25 18.4%
  • Standard game content

Votes: 26 19.1%
  • No 3pa registration pages