So, AI cars in multiplayer are possible ?!?

Last night i joined a Transfagarasan server called Tandemland drift real traffic and to my surprise there were AI cars circulating on the road.. how is this even possible? Super cool! Any explanation?

Maybe the cars are implemented in the track? Like... Moving objects.
When hosting a server there is no possibility to add AI so it must be some trick!
Hmm the AI cars are listed in the lobby (I am sure I saw them in the list before entering the server, I did not check if they were also listed once into the server, but I guess they are too), they are collidable etc. In any case, it works. It could be nice to have that on other street tracks like LA Canyons etc. @Phoenix77 @Ben O'Bro do you guys have any idea on how it's done?

upload_2018-10-10_10-51-2.png

upload_2018-10-10_10-51-24.png

Direct link to join the server (works if you have CM):
https://acstuff.ru/s/q:race/online/join?ip=217.79.179.140&httpPort=8744

Last edited:
Almost as if the AI cars are on rails, they won't stop if you block their path, they will simply push you out the way and keep going, almost like the cars little kids can drive at amusement parks that are locked on the rails embedded in the ground. I also noticed the suspension is slammed on the AI cars, tyres clipping through the fenders at times.

Moving objects sounds about right, no AI involved, cars are locked on a rail a specific speed, they cant slow down, stop or speed up. Interesting non the less.

Last edited:
There's 2 ways I think... 1 is with actual AI and the other is with the Traffic tool from CSP (?)
But both need modified server files...
There is other serverfiles with extended options in a .cfg.. Set AI traffic to true and you can dedicate AI to fill slots... And assign cars and livery to them..
There are a couple of YT tutorials on how to go about setting it up...
I'm planning on trying this, but due to time constraints and it not being really straightforward I haven't actually done it myself yet.
AI is just normal AI, so it doesn't have the clipping and cars behaving like assets more as cars.. But it's really CPU intensive and you're taking up pit boxes. And with the CSP tool you can spawn up to 2000 cars and is way less CPU intensive, and you can still use all the pit boxes.. but they drive IN the road (wheels sink into the asphalt look). And another downside is that the fake "AI" traffic does not show in replays. They do have full collision.. So if you're not trying to record replays for edit, this does what it needs to. It introduces moving obstacles driving around.. Like, you know, traffic..
Recently it was updated that they do actually try to avoid hitting you. And they also added that "AI" traffic changes lanes...
I've been using the CSP traffic tool in single player.. That's why in single player CSP traffic tool only works in practice...
But both should be possible on a server.. Not at the same time but either/or.. Normal AI won't see CSP traffic, so that gets messy rather quickly...
Google "2REAL traffic assetto corsa" for an introduction to CSP traffic tool.
Google "running assetto corsa server with AI" for how to set up normal AI on a server
Both require quite some setting up, and 2Real traffic might cause you to be kicked on "normal" servers, because of a checksum mismatch, because it involves adding additional stuff to the trackfolder (additional lines zones and intersection info, you can set speed per zone, u-turns allowed per zone, intersection behavior etc etc).. There are tracks that already have all the lines and junctions laid out... (2REAL traffic track mods, Union Island, some parts of SRP for example) But if you have time and patience you could make all the lines, zones and intersections yourself too...

Last edited:
There's 2 ways I think... 1 is with actual AI and the other is with the Traffic tool from CSP (?)
But both need modified server files...
There is other serverfiles with extended options in a .cfg.. Set AI traffic to true and you can dedicate AI to fill slots... And assign cars and livery to them..
There are a couple of YT tutorials on how to go about setting it up...
I'm planning on trying this, but due to time constraints and it not being really straightforward I haven't actually done it myself yet.
AI is just normal AI, so it doesn't have the clipping and cars behaving like assets more as cars.. But it's really CPU intensive and you're taking up pit boxes. And with the CSP tool you can spawn up to 2000 cars and is way less CPU intensive, and you can still use all the pit boxes.. but they drive IN the road (wheels sink into the asphalt look). And another downside is that the fake "AI" traffic does not show in replays. They do have full collision.. So if you're not trying to record replays for edit, this does what it needs to. It introduces moving obstacles driving around.. Like, you know, traffic..
Recently it was updated that they do actually try to avoid hitting you. And they also added that "AI" traffic changes lanes...
I've been using the CSP traffic tool in single player.. That's why in single player CSP traffic tool only works in practice...
But both should be possible on a server.. Not at the same time but either/or.. Normal AI won't see CSP traffic, so that gets messy rather quickly...
Google "2REAL traffic assetto corsa" for an introduction to CSP traffic tool.
Google "running assetto corsa server with AI" for how to set up normal AI on a server
Both require quite some setting up, and 2Real traffic might cause you to be kicked on "normal" servers, because of a checksum mismatch, because it involves adding additional stuff to the trackfolder (additional lines zones and intersection info, you can set speed per zone, u-turns allowed per zone, intersection behavior etc etc).. There are tracks that already have all the lines and junctions laid out... (2REAL traffic track mods, Union Island, some parts of SRP for example) But if you have time and patience you could make all the lines, zones and intersections yourself too...
Hi, yes we are a few years after my initial post and now multiplayer servers with AI traffic are quite common, I recommend the ones with Shutoko, LA Canyons and Union Island. The cars seem to be a bit smarter than in the early days, as they slow down and stop if a car stops, sound the horn etc. Not perfect but still great. They have added a whole new dimension to AC road driving in multiplayer, really awesome stuff.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back