PC1 SMS company structure changes (pCARS)

For a heads up guys, Ian Bell, Head of Slightly Mad Studios, has posted up on the Project CARS forum the following alert

"Company structure changes coming soon.
Hi all,

First of all, I'm sorry i can't go into details on specifics here as it's all extremely NDA but it's about 95% certain at this point that SMS will be changing company structure in the sense that we will become part of something bigger and better. This is generally 'a very good thing' and will most likely make it such that we will have all funding in place for pCARs and thus will most likely close off investment for members in the very near future.

The terms and conditions of pCARs will remain unchanged for everyone and you'll get all of the agreed benefits.

What is does mean though is that if you are considering upgrading your tool pack/membership level in the future it might be good to do this within the next 2-3 weeks.

None of the above is 100% certain but as I say, it's about 95%

Again, sorry I can't go into specifics but it's good for us, good for you and good for the project.

Cheers!
Ian Bell"
Source: WMD Forums
He has agreed this can be passed on so im "spreading the word"

Aslong as it's not EA then i would not worry and i very much doubt that Ian and co would venture near them again after having their hands tied last time round. pCARS is on the right road but has an awful long way to go, let's hope this new deal does not derail the project too much.

I think it has to do with this news from few weeks ago.​
-In line with its growth strategy on the entertainment products market, MyLoadBase N.V. is purchasing a majority stake (60 per cent) in Slightly Mad Studios Automotive GmbH, headquartered in Berlin. Slightly Mad Studios Automotive GmbH is a joint venture of Ian Bell (CEO of Slightly Mad Studios Ltd in London) and Michele Pes.​
What scares me more is that allot of members are upgrading before they close it in 2-3 weeks.​

This news doesn't thrill me with excitement. I worry the new majority share investors will start dictating the direction of development to attract a wider audience.

I'm fairly worried myself. I already tried to get a refund but I've had it for 22 days so they won't give me one. I was under the impression that we could back out at any point? I thought I was investing not purchasing a product.

Just post a thread stating you don't like the beta testing so far and ask when it's going to change from a Shift2 clone. You'll get your refund mate. They don't like it up em!;)

So then I guess it stops been a community built game,
No it doesn't. The current community will remain how it is with all the T&C that they signed for. There will just be a stop on new members joining.

I am glad I opted out and got a refund, this whole thing is too much of a soap opera and feels wrong now :( what a shame.
I guess it has more to do with your feelings/ideas/expectations/perceptions not being aligned with reality than with WMD being a soap opera. Everything is clear and out in the open in this project, and there is nothing to be misunderstood or hidden from the community.

Everything is clear and out in the open in this project, and there is nothing to be misunderstood or hidden from the community.

That is just completely wrong fella. It has never been clear and when it was nearly understandable, they changed the goalposts again for members. One minute it's going to be free to play, next it's not. Members were originally going to get the game free but they messed that up. The community are just acting as beta testers and actually paying to do so. The firm must be laughing all the way to the bank. Clever idea though.:rolleyes:

It was clear that certain things can change...

So then I guess it stops been a community built game, wasnt that the main promotion of the game though?

I am glad I opted out and got a refund, this whole thing is too much of a soap opera and feels wrong now :( what a shame.
- Game development is 50% drama and 50% people actually work on the game. From my (very) limited experience... (not counting pCars, where I'm no member)

- Eh not "community build" but I get your point. I hope they (SMS) will clear that up. In the end, you need a publisher anyway for a major (maybe not for small PSN/XBL downloads, I dunno) release on certain platforms (consoles) - so that would have been some kinda bigger investor anyway (if the new investor actually is a publisher we have yet to see though...)

No it doesn't. The current community will remain how it is with all the T&C that they signed for. There will just be a stop on new members joining.

So it is going from an (Open Community Project) to a (Closed Community Project) !!!! :D wouldnt that just be called a (Ltd Project) with privert members ?

I guess it has more to do with your feelings/ideas/expectations/perceptions not being aligned with reality than with WMD being a soap opera. Everything is clear and out in the open in this project, and there is nothing to be misunderstood or hidden from the community.

I wasnt going in with any real expectations, to be honest and clear with you, the reason I opted out was I just got sick and bored of beta testing things, It was that simple.
I wasnt angry or bitter, I didnt get banned or create any problems.
In fact I say good luck to you, I hope you do get to make what you want.
I just hope you dont burn too many bridges on the way.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back