Sitting behind the AI......

Keith Gregg

CAUTION - SLOW VEHICLE
...is a recipe for disaster every time...no matter how hard I try I just cant understand their braking logic.
I am trying to race the 90's Touring cars on the highlands Long so it's quite up close and personal racing but it's just unplayable with the current AI..they stamp hard on the brakes when most sane people would be stamping hard on the throttle and make mad swerves for no reason, making the whole race pointless as you don't dare get anywhere near the car in front to get ready for the overtake or you have to take the totally wrong line so that you are not behind the car in front but to the side so that when he (and he will) stamps on the brakes for no apparent reason, you can go sailing past safely.
The whole experience is just not enjoyable which is a shame because these 90's cars are excellent fun to drive.
Is Automobilista any better?
Cheers

Hi,
well I am 100% on your side!
But there is hope and the end of the horizon (is there an english saying for that? :) ).
New update notes are sounding promising and there is this mod:
http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/faster-ai-for-all-tracks.14758/
It's not really what we want, but at least the AI get's as fast as we are...

Update Notes:
  • [...]Alongside the new DLC pack will come the version 1.14 game update which looks set to contain a number of new and improved features. As a little teaser Kunos have revealed some of the following changes will be included in the new build release:
  • Added wind algorithm
  • Added AI Aggression selection
  • More AI differences within a single lap to generate more battles
  • Added AI wing setup variations
  • New AI algorithms for understeer detection and downshifting
  • Improved Downshift Protection
  • Updated Steam statistic reader to synchronize steam achievement[...]

I actually use the AI to learn brake points and corner speeds, as lapping a track alone is boring and following 1 100% AI car is more fun, I always get surprised that corners can take more speed than I think they can. So far I have not noticed it, I only noticed that based on their brake lights they don't always brake in a straight line, they brake while already turned in, yet, the weight shift back somehow does not cause them to oversteer and spin out?

My main issue is that the AI never seems to make a mistake like spinning out or going to the gravel trap, so if you do you almost surely lose.

I actually use the AI to learn brake points and corner speeds, as lapping a track alone is boring and following 1 100% AI car is more fun, I always get surprised that corners can take more speed than I think they can.
Just be aware that they have a tendency to brake at places a real driver would never brake.

So far I have not noticed it, I only noticed that based on their brake lights they don't always brake in a straight line, they brake while already turned in, yet, the weight shift back somehow does not cause them to oversteer and spin out?

They run with stability control on. Stefano toyed with the idea of having moments where SC was temporarily disabled which would allow them to make mistakes and spin but I think it was a bit unpredictable so it has not yet been added.

My main issue is that the AI never seems to make a mistake like spinning out or going to the gravel trap, so if you do you almost surely lose.

According to Stefano that should be changing with tomorrow's update, he specifically mentioned an instance where he came around a corner and saw two cars broken down on the side of the track.

I usually see one or 2 spin out mostly on the first lap when they are bunched up on a tight bend...the second chicane at monza springs to mind...also I have seen them try to overtake or get the line approaching a bend and they will brake too late and go farming.
What I do now for practice is to start in last place and let them sort themselves out for a lap or two before starting to push a bit...they seem to race better when they are not so bunched.

I find the AI seems to brake in the middle of the corner rather than before it. Coming into the same corner I'll brake earlier and they don't seem to brake at all. Then they somehow manage to slow down on the apex and I run into the back of them because I'm basically accelerating at that point. It does often seem like they can do impossible braking maneuvers.

I don't pay any attention to where the AI brake other than to know where to avoid them, I don't think it's possible for me to make my car do the same thing as them.

Aye...after a few laps you start learn where they are likely to hit the brakes...one good thing I guess is that it teaches you to pay more attention to what is going on ahead of the car that is in front of you...kinda like a game of chess where you have to think several moves ahead not just the next move lol.

I think R3E has the best AI at the moment. They crash, go off track and pass each other all the time. They are a tad over aggressive, but if you treat them like a human player you will have no issues.

I'm hopeful tomorrow's release is an improvement, but we'll have to wait and see.

I've only had one session with the new AI...90's Touring around the Highlands Long road against 15 AI using CM to set minimum skill 90% maximum 100% and it was more like a game of pinball (with multi-ball) than a race lol but definately more fun :) ... it took me 3 attempts just to get around the first lap without being involved in a major pile up.

I haven't downloaded the update yet (it was too late in this time zone), but I read that if you use CM you cannot set the new value, which is AI aggressiveness. Not sure if it stays at 0 or at 100%. In any case probably better not to use CM until it includes the new thing. Maybe choosing a lower aggressiveness may help dealing with the pinball thing. I'll try myself this evening..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back