SimLabs GT1 build log (includes NLV3 motion platform mounting)

It starts.....

5 weeks ago I decided to pull the trigger on a chassis upgrade after building an 'Anthony Room' extension on the bottom level of my house. I ordered a SimLabs GT1 80 / 20 cockpit after hearing so many good things about this type of material for sim racing cockpits.

It arrived this afternoon.

20180501_140453.jpg

After 50kg's worth of aluminium made its way from the Netherlands to Australia, it still had an hour drive home from work before we could get started.

My games room:

20180501_162232.jpg

Cleaning up whatever was in the way in the yet to be completed move-in, I made room to begin the build. Half the components of my new build are yet to arrive. As some may know, I also decided that nowhere near enough money was spend on the chassis and decided to upgrade to an OSW direct drive wheel, HE Pro Pedals and handbrake. 2 Buttkicker Mini LFE's will also replace my 4 Aura Bass Shakers used on the previous build. As you can see I was quite eager to try them and 5 weeks is a long wait for anything in sim racing. They are screwed to an old table and I've been running them while driving with a game pad sitting at my PC, in-between them.

It's highly NOT recommended to try and drive with a game pad, FYI.....

20180501_162245.jpg

Getting on to crack open the boxes now.

20180501_170401.jpg

Everything was pretty well packed and nothing seems to be damaged. @Mascot was right about the lack of instructions.... None whatsoever. Just knowing what the parts are for would have been enough, but I assume that they all go together a particular way and you would know if a part was wrong as long as you follow a logical build structure. One slightly disappointing thing was that I received the standard, cheaper Fanatec shifter mount (one I originally had in the cart) but I ordered the more expensive, round looking one. I am sure I can make it work. If I get the extra parts that I requested, I'll be happy. Who knows, I may not even need it and just use it as a Buttkicker mount for the rear....

Time to get started.

20180501_174441.jpg

Bottom frame loosely together to allow for adjustments before I tighten down and pull everything into square. Nice of SimLabs to include the rubber feet of the P1 in my GT1 build. On their site it states you get plastic feet which in the pictures do look slightly higher and obviously a different material to the rubber included in the P1. I appreciate that. I do have some rubber isolation coming for the seat and pedals and planned on using the left overs for the feet. Well they aren't here yet and as @Mascot pointed out, put the feet on before you get too far into the build. I have to change pedals soon anyway and will sort all of the above ground stuff out later. Much easier to get to than turning the chassis upside down once the monitors are on..... ;)

A side note. I was worried how much room this chassis would take behind my desk chair here (my PC is to the left of the chassis in the photo). It's footprint is actually pretty good as you can see. You can measure all you like before hand but nothing is like actually having the item in the place where it's going to be sitting. I think I'll be OK.

20180501_180912.jpg
20180501_180906.jpg

A quick look at how the V3 platform fits inside the seat mounting frame. The gap either side of the bottom frame is actually not too bad. Spacers might have worked and allowed me to drop into the frame a bit better than what I have planned. I do have an idea though, and will try that once I get some food into me and continue the build. You can see the absolutely shocking drill out I had to do on the rear of the top frame of the platform to accommodate the seat slider and H frame on the old chassis. These are both gone now and the build will be much better for it. The lower I can get this platform the more options I have when choosing a seating position. I've always wanted to have my feet high and stuck out way in front to simulate being in an open wheeler. Hopefully this chassis and what I have planned for the V3 mount will allow this.

Having fun so far :)

20180501_200935.jpg
20180501_204156.jpg

So, the original (above) brackets I had in mind were a little too long. The platform barely sits above the carpet. Which is great for seating position but not so great for the fan underneath. So, I had some others lying around I was intending on using for Buttkicker mounts, that I don't think I will need. They also look HEAPS stronger, and will also bring the platform up enough for me to be comfortable with ventilation. Very similar to the single piece @Mascot had fabricated but not as nice :)

Mounting platform now.

20180501_212855.jpg

So the second bracket option is a no go as well. The bolt heads hit up against the profile because of the different drop in the bracket. I've conceded that for tonight, at least, I am reverting back to plan A and taking it from there. I want to get most of this together tonight and if I spend any longer perfecting the V3 mount I may well have no time for anything else. The V3 does sit a fair bit higher this way, but it's something I can come back to later on without too much fuss, I'd say. With it in front of me I have a much better chance of knowing what will work best.

Last edited:
I think I am nearly done accounting for everything. So I definitely know what's missing, from both the proper order as well as what I asked for after the fact. I can mount the seat now with the 2 side monitor mounts, just to get a better look at what it's going to end up like. I don't need the triples now anyway and may not use them at all in the end. I will definitely hit Darko up before I get to sleep and see what he can do.

Upvote 0
This is very disappointing to hear Anton. I had a similar experience with missing pieces when I ordered my triple monitor mount two years ago. Hopefully Sim Lab can sort it for you quickly. Will be nervously waiting for my GT1 now.

Upvote 0
Morning guys,

Yeah it's been a bit of a let down, but Darko got back to me at 11.30pm (his time) and assured me he would get everything in the post once he gets back to work. I really can't fault his urgency and responsiveness, he has been nothing but helpful and accommodating throughout the entire process. I appreciate that. I am listing things that happen in the build as they actually are (no sugar coating) as people have a right to know what to expect when they receive their goods should they decide to follow people who have bought from SimLab. I have no doubt that throughout the very busy period (hopefully ongoing) they have experienced it's been a mad rush to get everyone's order fulfilled. Clearly, mistakes can happen when you're under the pump.

I have faith that he will get it sorted and am looking forward to completing the build. I will get back from work as quick as possible to continue the build process. Hopefully my OSW is not too far away. I might have to cheekily mount the V2.5 for a little while before it's sold to just get a feel for what it's like in there. Please everyone concerned with maybe purchasing from SimLab, don't take my experience as gospel and assume that all orders are like this. I will update with future developments over the week once the rest of it gets here and assess the situation regarding the buying experience from them as well as the overall impressions of the chassis.

For now, I am going to try an alternate seat mount before work and hopefully I'll be able to source some parts for it on the way home should this work.

Upvote 0
Morning guys,

Yeah it's been a bit of a let down, but Darko got back to me at 11.30pm (his time) and assured me he would get everything in the post once he gets back to work. I really can't fault his urgency and responsiveness, he has been nothing but helpful and accommodating throughout the entire process. I appreciate that. I am listing things that happen in the build as they actually are (no sugar coating) as people have a right to know what to expect when they receive their goods should they decide to follow people who have bought from SimLab. I have no doubt that throughout the very busy period (hopefully ongoing) they have experienced it's been a mad rush to get everyone's order fulfilled. Clearly, mistakes can happen when you're under the pump.

I have faith that he will get it sorted and am looking forward to completing the build. I will get back from work as quick as possible to continue the build process. Hopefully my OSW is not too far away. I might have to cheekily mount the V2.5 for a little while before it's sold to just get a feel for what it's like in there. Please everyone concerned with maybe purchasing from SimLab, don't take my experience as gospel and assume that all orders are like this. I will update with future developments over the week once the rest of it gets here and assess the situation regarding the buying experience from them as well as the overall impressions of the chassis.

For now, I am going to try an alternate seat mount before work and hopefully I'll be able to source some parts for it on the way home should this work.
I get emails at all times of the day and night too - those boys never seem to stop..!
I think they might be victims of their own success at the moment, and struggling a little to cope with demand. It must be costing them a fortune in extra time and postage sorting these incorrect orders out.

@Neil Farren if I was you I'd ask Darko to confirm back to you what your order is (especially if it's nonstandard in any way) before it's dispatched. Better safe than sorry..!

Upvote 0
@Mascot Hey dude, will update the build thread in a sec. Check out what I've done. Need to eat and feed the dogs for the time being, so check it out and I'll hopefully be mounting the seat in an hour or so. Nearly there. I've spent ages on this. I think you will appreciate it.

Thanks for the link but I think I am OK now!

Upvote 0
20180502_171744.jpg

So I went to the hardware store after work and sourced some things that I was missing / were wrong and ended up looking for some brackets. Ideally I wanted one long piece but they came too thick and I ended up settling on these.

Drilled some holes to match the pattern of the V3, and this is what I ended up with.

20180502_181859.jpg
20180502_181908.jpg

Not too bad. I need to cut one in half and put it one on each side of the front, but the clearance is perfect and it looks pretty clean, too. I think it's much nicer than the above frame method. I do want to get as close to the ground as possible, because the seat is going to be required to sit off of the V3 mounting plate.

20180502_091524.jpg

I am trying to get some shorter profile (20mm?) to see if I can cut this gap down a little, as I still need to insert the rubber isolation pads I picked up also. I am going to test if these actually do make a difference with the buttkickers because where I am going to have to mount it to the seat, might not be beneficial to have them on. Just another 10mm higher for not a lot of gain.

Mounting the seat after dinner....

20180502_210340.jpg

Here you can see the rubber pads I have used to (try to) isolate the seat from the rest of the chassis. My seat has been a real pain in the ass to mount without the slider and the H frame from the other cockpit giving it some wiggle room underneath. I have had to add two more washers above the pad to JUST give enough clearance for the underside of the bucket to clear the profile and line up with the seat holes. I was worried I'd strip the thread on them but I had a light clutch setting on the drill so they should be OK.

20180502_210353.jpg

This now is how I am going to leave the seat, I think. I am not going to mess with smaller profile, and now with the platform sitting nearly on the ground thanks to the alternative mount, I am about as low as I could hope to get. My L brackets don't all sit completely hard up on the seat mount, which I am a little worried about and may look into later on.

For now, I can start to clean up, mount a monitor and maybe some hardware for a quick spin....

So I've been in touch with Darko at SimLabs and he has been super super helpful in sorting out what has happened with my order. In the very busy period they have had, they have needed to quickly expand their workforce to meet the demand. Clearly this is a good thing, but this also tends to create more problems with things that should normally be run of the mill activity. He is organizing all the missing parts that were meant to be here ASAP, and hopefully within 7 days I can finish mounting the monitors and brace the shifter mounting arm as I originally intended. Will get some hardware on now and then a few pics of it nearly done.

20180503_011832.jpg

20180503_011846.jpg

A few final pics for today with some hardware installed. Just for something to do, as the pedals will be removed as soon as the HE Pro's get here. Notice how high I am able to sit the pedal deck , the heel rest is almost in line with the seat of the chair. When I sit in that, my legs are completely stretched out, flat, and I am still right up to the wheel deck. I could never achieve that with the GT2 Ultimate. I tried to change positions of the pedal deck, seat slider, recline, everything, to see if I could emulate lying in an F1 car. Couldn't do it.

This is awesome, and a big reason why I chose the GT1 over the P1, the different pedal deck construction and design. This also means you can basically put the pedals wherever you want, higher lower, varying inclines, in heaps, out heaps. There is a tonne of movement, which is great because I don't want to have to touch the V3 once I get it where I want it in relation to the steering wheel.

There is also a makeshift Buttkicker mount, just to see how it sat. I should be getting a SimLab's one which should be a lot thicker. This is really the only place I can put it now. I am wondering if where I have it makes the isolation pads useless. It doesn't really matter anyway, as I need them to boost the height of the seat, so they will be staying there.

With a bit of luck my OSW will be here before the weekend, and I can drown another afternoon/evening into setting that up! Still no takers for my old gear, might have to try eBay and see if we can get it moving...

Updates tomorrow :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@AntoN_CheZ looking good mate! Did you get a chance to drive it yet? That pedal deck looks way more adjustable than the one on the P1 - I now see what those extra rounded brackets are for that Darko sent me and what I thought might be for mounting the NLV3. I'm at the extreme of my mounting position for the pedals on the P1 but luckily they are perfectly positioned. Even if they weren't I'm sure it'd be pretty simple to adapt them with 80/20 - I love this stuff..!

What seat is that? It looks really nice. I too wanted a recliner rather than a moulded bucket for the extra ergonomic adjustment and I do all my gaming in the cockpit so also like the option to recline back into a lazier position for joypad games. I got a Sparco R333 but kind of wish I'd bought one with a hard back like yours so that transducers could be mounted directly to it (mine's got a 'soft' back).

Upvote 0
Loving these build logs. Give me a great insight into what I need to do myself this weekend.
It's great fun building with 80/20 - you should have a blast (assuming everything you ordered turns up... :p). It's very rewarding watching it all come together, and equally rewarding being able to tweak it all to perfectly suit your personal ergonomics.

Ref my R333 seat, I just remembered that the cover zips off, so there's probably a way to hard mount transducers to the seat back frame with a little careful thought. I'm probably worrying about nothing but I'm not entirely at ease with mounting my Buttkicker to the NLV3 bracket as it throws a lot of the vibration directly into the NLV3. Now I'm sure that thing is bomb-proof and internal fixings and components are designed to cope with vibrations, but I can't help thinking that something might shake loose if the BK is really going monkey-poo. I think isolating the seat on rubber bushings like @AntoN_CheZ is doing and hard-mounting the BK (or transducers) directly to the seat itself has to be the way to go, doesn't it? I shall have fun investigating.

Upvote 0
Loving these build logs. Give me a great insight into what I need to do myself this weekend.

The log has been as much fun as the build itself. I am still not finished but today might be a slower one in updates as I am expecting my OSW tomorrow (hopefully) and then the HE Pro Pedals and Handbrake early next week. I am tossing up whether to unbox my CSW just to take it for a quick spin but am most likely going to sit tight and wait for my new stuff to arrive. The CSW is listed for sale and I don't really want to touch it. Not fair for a potential buyer as it's brand spanking new. But yeah the build has been awesome and having a little crew here cheering me on has been really cool. I will definitely get stuck back into my other V3 settings thread once I am up and running, and making adjustments to my previous recommendations, should I feel I can improve the experience with new profiles. Thank you all for joining in the fun :)

@Mascot The seat is a Bride replica. I can't remember exactly what model it is, but there were a few to choose from, and I made sure that I got one with the things that were important to me. To be honest I am not clued in that much when it comes to seats but I knew that I wanted the stock one on the old cockpit GONE and ended up finding this for a decent price, compared to some others. I think I got it from JustJap website. Obviously buying a seat closer to home is beneficial as some won't even send it if you are located too far away. Shipping is just murder.

I am not sure about mounting anything directly onto the back of the seat. It's sort of rounded and screwing into it might demolish it. If you used something like Dayton Pucks or similar, something small and light, you could velcro them on with adhesive velcro strips. It should hold them. No screwing that way. You could also re position them if you felt they were annoying in a particular spot without tearing up your seat. With my Mini LFE mounting on the rear, I am not sure I am going to be able to directly mount it to the seat. I have an idea, but I'll need to remove the seat again and I don't really want to unless something else forces me to. I have a couple of options, just weighing up what to do at the moment. I am getting a couple of bonus BK mounts courtesy of Darko which is AWESOME so this will replace the home brew one I cut up yesterday. I just want to run some tests tonight to see how it feels where it is. It's in one of the pictures above. Leaving it where it is might negate the isolation but I might get @Mr Latte to chime in on that and give me his opinion.

Also, another side note. I have the HE shifter mounted and was wondering if any other owners notice a slight binding of the mechanism while upshifting (that is, pulling the lever as opposed to pushing). It makes a little rubbing noise, you can hear something binding inside if you move the lever slowly. The faster you pull it, the less it happens, but it seems a little off. I have sent them an email just explaining what I can feel and whether this is something that happens to all of them. I am a little disappointed the way it is, to be honest. It's the OCD in me but I expected a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over the Fanatec CSS sequential mode and this has slightly soured it.

Upvote 0
Also, another side note. I have the HE shifter mounted and was wondering if any other owners notice a slight binding of the mechanism while upshifting (that is, pulling the lever as opposed to pushing). It makes a little rubbing noise, you can hear something binding inside if you move the lever slowly. The faster you pull it, the less it happens, but it seems a little off. I have sent them an email just explaining what I can feel and whether this is something that happens to all of them. I am a little disappointed the way it is, to be honest. It's the OCD in me but I expected a SIGNIFICANT upgrade over the Fanatec CSS sequential mode and this has slightly soured it.

With my HE shifter you can feel and hear a slight creak and feel a light binding resistance at the beginning of the motion only when you move the lever very slowly in either direction. It's perfectly fine shifting at normal speed or quickly.

Upvote 0
Hmm yeah sounds exactly the same as what I am experiencing. There is no way to adjust the tension of the HE shifter is there? Just wondering if I've done something when removing and replacing the side bolts to attach the mount.

Upvote 0
Hmm yeah sounds exactly the same as what I am experiencing. There is no way to adjust the tension of the HE shifter is there? Just wondering if I've done something when removing and replacing the side bolts to attach the mount.

I think it's just the mechanism, nothing you have done. Watch Barry Rowlands YouTube review as he takes this shifter apart and it is possible to adjust the tension. Those plastic caps reveal the ball bearing spring tension screws. A spanner and flat head screwdriver is all you need. Maybe it just needs a light tweak to the tension in your unit. It's not a problem for me, I can only observe this characteristic by operating the shifter abnormally slow.

Upvote 0
Will do, thanks Jezza :) I've watched so much of Barry since I tore down the old cockpit, withdrawals... Not long to go now.

Also has anyone got experience with an Ultrawide monitor? What size, res? I am thinking of ditching the triples and running VR everything except for those that don't support, and just running a single screen, larger than the 27 inch ones I have now. Even a 4K 40" would be awesome as I can run that easily and it cuts down on the space the screens stick out in the room. My room is only just under 3m wide, so space is a precious commodity and in terms of my layout, the screens will be super in the way compared to a single, even if it's bigger.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0
I run an x34 Predator Ultrawide on my Obutto Rig, and it's quite perfect. For my second monitor, I have a 27" mounted vertically beside it for web page viewing.

I'll never go back to a 16:9 after 21:9.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your input. I am having a look now. I don't want to spend a fortune because it really should just be a backup for things that don't use VR. Debating just mounting a 40" LED panel and not using the rest of the triples mount that I am waiting for parts for. I bought a 49" 4K Toshiba panel for like $700 AUD and it's sweet as for what it is. Too big for mounting but a 40" should work, especially with 80 20. A single 27" mounted just looks sad.... See the above pics (I think I have one with the monitor mounted).

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.1%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.2%
  • Prizes

Votes: 44 20.7%
  • Trophies

Votes: 26 12.2%
  • Forum trophies