PC2 Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg

First day back in the office for many this morning, what better way to pass the time than have a good discussion about the new Project CARS game?

Now the dust is beginning to settle around the recent release of Project CARS 2, we thought it a good time to look deeper into the game, driven by our community, and share our findings and impressions from the heavily hyped new racing title from Slightly Mad Studios.

Do you have some useful tips for getting the most from the sim? Found a magic setting to really unlock the FFB? Got a trick up your sleeve that helps bring sharper graphics for little FPS trade off? Or do you simply want to share your most / least favourite car and track combinations?

So long as it remains on topic, respectful and mature, we want to know your thoughts!

Mondays be like...

Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg
Sim Discussion Monday - Project CARS 2.jpg

And now you are talking straight out if the PRC text book. If someone has driven a real car whether it be a golf mk3 or a Ferrari they will have an understanding of how a car works, that wheel thing in front of you turns the car, tyres for the most part grip on dry roads etc.
For me I've only ever driven FWD racing cars but I am the one playing the games so I know how it feels what gives the
Best feel IMO, I don't give a stuff about anyone else as I play it through me.
But yes no problem with any of the sims for me bar a few cars in each that are just broken IMO, they are even starting to give more realistic grip levels now... My point is simply why do I need PCars 2 when I gave PCars 1...anyone?
If I can be honest, every racing game it's just a game. Even AC. Sorry but true. Why? I drive tuned Focus St, with some like...280-290HP (I dont know now exactly, but it's for now no matter at all, how much is for now), and I have a son. 13 years old, karting maniac :) And I nevere ever give him a chance to drive with My Ford for now. Not beacouse he is too little or something. Actually is almost as I'am, sooo...177 maybe 179 (I'm182). I dont giv him drive ST beacouse I know my car, what power it produced on wheels and how good driver you must to be to drive with use more power as usual. And 280-290HP is enough to push throttle little too much and 2 or 5 sec. after be in a grave if You have no proper experience. In the same time my 13 year old boy take a Focus RS in AC, without ABS, TC and all that **** and drive like creazy on DOnnington, Mugello or Silverstone. If we drive together with my ST I give several times full power (2-3 gear and red line) and he is terrified in this short moment, how this car accelerate and reaches 150-180km/h (95-113mph), sooo. Than he take a 458 in AC and again drive like creazy on Monza...sooo...Thats all folks in "simulation" theme. To be more clear - My son for himself for now dont wanna drive my Ford, beacouse he know, it's impossible for him to have control on this level to not crash. But not in this great simulator like AC, pC, rFactor, GTR2 and others...No problem. Wheel, gamepad...no problem, can drive with full power.

Last edited:
If I can be honest, every racing game it's just a game. Even AC. Sorry but true. Why? I drive tuned Focus St, with some like...280-290HP (I dont know now exactly, but it's for now no matter at all, how much is for now), and I have a son. 13 years old, karting maniac :) And I nevere ever give him a chance to drive with My Ford for now. Not beacouse he is too little or something. Actually is almost as I'am, sooo...177 maybe 179 (I'm182). I dont giv him drive ST beacouse I know my car, what power it produced on wheels and how good driver you must to be to drive with use more power as usual. And 280-290HP is enough to push throttle little too much and 2 or 5 sec. after be in a grave if You have no proper experience. In the same time my 13 year old boy take a Focus RS in AC, without ABS, TC and all that **** and drive like creazy on DOnnington, Mugello or Silverstone. If we drive together with my ST I give several times full power (2-3 gear and red line) and he is terrified in this short moment, how this car accelerate and reaches 150-180km/h (95-113mph), sooo. Than he take a 458 in AC and again drive like creazy on Monza...sooo...Thats all folks in "simulation" theme. To be more clear - My son for himself for now dont wanna drive my Ford, beacouse he know, it's impossible for him to have control on this level to not crash. But not in this great simulator like AC, pC, rFactor, GTR2 and others...No problem. Wheel, gamepad...no problem, can drive with full power.

You are clueless, your <snip> ST has all sorts of driver AIDS and assistance so <snip> I was driving cars around fields at 10 and most joy riders on TV cop chase shows are under 16.<snip>

Last edited by a moderator:
To add I personally think PCars 1 is better as a package than PCars 2.

To be honest, the more interesting question is whether in the not too distant future a fully patched/mature/polished pC2 will surpass the currently fully patched/mature/polished pC1 on most fronts.

FWIW, my €0.02 is that pC2 will 'win' hands down once we get to that point. But we shall see as the Zen Master says. :)

• Deleted member 99238

To be honest, the more interesting question is whether in the not too distant future a fully patched/mature/polished pC2 will surpass the currently fully patched/mature/polished pC1 on most fronts.
:)
I'm playing them both now. PC2 is a separate new product that only remotely resembles the first part. Physics and FFB on a completely new level. I can confidently state that the FFB in PC2 at some points exceeds the AC and, given all the factors at the moment, this is the number one racing simulator for me. (I play on the PC on the wheel G27).

• Deleted member 99238

Michael Hornbuckle, you're probably from "simracer"?
Tell us about your long life and virtual experience.

Pcars 2 is my number 1 at the moment as well. Granted, I did not play the first one, but AC has the disconnecting bug in multiplayer which makes it unplayable for me and the features in Pcars2 are just so many more and this makes racing just better than in AC. AC might be the better driving simulator, but Pcars2 is the better racing simulator imo.

• Deleted member 99238

So many "real simracers" are afraid to admit the obvious things so as not to disgrace themselves before the same "real simracers".

FWIW, my €0.02 is that pC2 will 'win' hands down once we get to that point. But we shall see as the Zen Master says. :)

Yes but in your answer you are agreeing that right now PCars 1 is the better package.
I don't buy into this idea that PCars 2 is vastly different in physics to PCars 1, I mean I ended up raving about PCars 1 once i dialled in FFB, i was on xbox 1 and since switched to PC and i found that these PC only sims which i'd heard people use to to slate PCars 1 were actually not much different really, i mean i can drive a car in real life and have driven track days and and racing cars in test sessions (only ever raced karts) and most of these sims including PCars 1 you can relate normal driving to the game...thats good enough for me.
PCars 1 nd the xbox now are in the lounge and the wheel is connected to my PC in my man cave so i fired up PCars 1 the other day and used a controller and you know what actually once the FFB wheel is gone you can almost see the physics working at there best without the FFB muddying the waters.
So my real point is not to hate on PCars as i love PCars 1 (600 hours), but quite why at this point in time would i buy PCars 2?
Or are we now saying PCars 1 physics are totally wrong etc etc......?

(I must admit i even got Shift 2 on my 360 feeling good)

You are a fool....

1./ Yes but in your answer you are agreeing that right now PCars 1 is the better package.

2./ I don't buy into this idea that PCars 2 is vastly different in physics to PCars 1
(...)
Or are we now saying PCars 1 physics are totally wrong etc etc......?

1./ pC1 has received more polish than pC2, yes. Even so, I think pC2 is already better in some areas.

2./ The STM was improved for pC2. 2-layer brake heating was added for pC2. Damper model was upgraded for pC2. Driveline code (including differentials) was completely redone for pC2. Livetrack 3.0 was added. All cars from pC1 that are still there in pC2 were upgraded to take advantage of pC2 tech.

The driveline code in pC1 in particular was iffy from what I understand.

So yes, there were/are issues with pC1 where these subsystem issues lead to layering workaround on top of workaround in other systems to compensate for the underlying flaw (again, I'm not privvy to the code, so this is just what I've picked over time).

Maybe I'am a fool but You...I don know exact word to describe...But I think admins have maybe...Or say - what do You know abot this kids, parents ect.? Nothing...I know 5 year old kids who can and doo climbing better as I can. What this shows...Only your stupidity, nothing more.

But you said it was impossible for a kid to drive a car at 13 year old..... simply stupid, I've been driving cars since i was 10 for example.... you have been proved wrong, <snip> and move on... even if some people agreed with you, the videos are there for all to see <snip>

1./ pC1 has received more polish than pC2, yes. Even so, I think pC2 is already better in some areas.

2./ The STM was improved for pC2. 2-layer brake heating was added for pC2. Damper model was upgraded for pC2. Driveline code (including differentials) was completely redone for pC2. Livetrack 3.0 was added. All cars from pC1 that are still there in pC2 were upgraded to take advantage of pC2 tech.

The driveline code in pC1 in particular was iffy from what I understand.

So yes, there were/are issues with pC1 where these subsystem issues lead to layering workaround on top of workaround in other systems to compensate for the underlying flaw (again, I'm not privvy to the code, so this is just what I've picked over time).

So you are a WMD? Bit worrying that SMS didn't polish PCars 2 more then before release no?

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.