PC2 Project CARS 2 Released on Xbox One, PS4 and PC

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Project CARS 2.jpg

Highly anticipated racing simulation Project CARS 2 has been released today, marking the return of the best selling franchise to both console and PC systems.

Developed by Slightly Mad Studios and community backers from the world of sim racing, using the experience of professional race drivers the likes of former Top Gear Stig Ben Collins and sometime Renault Clio racer Nicolas Hamilton, Project CARS 2 looks set to be the most ambitious racing project yet from the British based development team.

Featuring over 180 cars and 60 locations on launch and benefitting from live track technology, advanced weather effects and class leading graphics, Project CARS 2 looks very likely to become yet another best selling release across all platforms following release today.

Unfortunately we have not been able to get access to an advanced copy of the game prior to launch, however in constant quest to bring you all the news and opinion from sim racing (haha, well actually because I cant resist a racing game) I will be purchasing testing this thing thoroughly tonight, with a view to writing up an article over the weekend with my first impressions.

About the Game
  • 180+ licensed cars from iconic manufacturers
  • Full 12K & VR Support
  • Tested and tuned by pro racing drivers
  • All-new motorsports (IndyCar, Oval Racing, Rallycross) join old favorites incl. GT3
  • LiveTrack 3.0: Dynamic surface & weather physics affect vehicle performance and handling in real-time
  • New loose surface racing (ice, dirt, mud)
  • Full 24-hour cycle featuring real-time atmospheric conditions and seasonal ambience
  • State-of-the art physics model
  • Revamped gamepad handling
  • Class-leading Esport capabilities

Project CARS 2 is available now for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

Project CARS 2 - 2.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 3.jpg
Project CARS 2 - 4.jpg

Check out the Project CARS 2 sub forum here at RaceDepartment to catch up with the latest news, engage in lively discussions with the community, download some mods and get yourself out on the track in online races for both PC and console.

Well it's here! What do you think? Win, Lose or Draw? Improvement over PC1? Serious rival for the main PC racers? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
It's crap

My wife is out so I'm watching the kids, so.have to wait till they are in bed and then I will probably be too tired to get it all setup!

Edit: lol to those venting this post, it is crap that I wanted to play buy otherwise could not!

I've given my review further in this thread, please read ;)

Last edited:
The best part of this game is I can turn the TV on to almost any type of racing, get in a mood, and then fire up PCars2 and re-create what I just saw. When testing, I actually did that - including torrential rain on that day's actual date to pick up the correct foliage - and showed it off to my son.

Plus with the IndyCar and PWC licenses, there are TWO official series in which I can race. Name the other sim where you have TWO licensed series. (And across disparate disciplines too.)

Wating for reviews from the simracing comunity.. :whistling:
I'll sum it up for you. Haters are going to hate it, lovers of it will find no faults, and the truth is probably somewhere in between: it'll be a worthy addition to a simracing library. It may not be the sim your league goes to each week, but you'll still probably end up firing it up once a week just to turn some laps at XXX track at XXX car in XXX weather conditions when the mood strikes you.

Plus with the IndyCar and PWC licenses, there are TWO official series in which I can race. Name the other sim where you have TWO licensed series. (And across disparate disciplines too.)
RaceRoom have more than that, and with more tracks used in real life by the said series
It's good to see series licensed, but they should really go for the tracks used in them and even some more. Having a track like Fontana to go with the Indycars online would blow everyone's mind :)

"Haters", when did this meaningless phrase begin? You know what I hate more than "haters", people who promote things far more than is deserved. Your posts sound like adverts for the sim, rather than your actual opinion.

I'll be cautious with PC2. The first one was all bells and whistles, but the driving experience was atrocious.

Yep.. When somebody uses the word "hater" his argument is automatically invalid.

Well, in terms of "haters", I hate Ian Bell. I'm sure I've made no secret of that in other posts. That aside, PCars 2 is quite a lot of fun so far and a significant step up.

The AI is crap though. Those cars in front of you can't go around a corner and just stop in a line behind each other and/or crash, but when behind you, they brake way too late and take you out.

I had a quick online, 4 lap race in Bathurst last night though where it snowed near the start and then we had 2 laps of drying track and it was actually amazing to watch a puddle that had formed on the final turn decrease in size each time I went by.

Long Beach and Daytona are both great additions, but I do have a strong dislike for the braking markers in Daytona's bus stop (ie - there are none).

Graphics are nice. User Interface has been improved compared to PC1. Setting up your wheel and FFB is much easier, which is a huge plus because in PC1 I simply couldn't get my wheel to work properly.
Driving feeling is a bit hit and miss. Some car/track combos are really good, others just feel 'dead'.
VR has some issues where the view keeps flickering and moving around.

Overall I'd say it's definitely an improvement compared to PC1. 7/10

D

Deleted member 205301

• Deleted member 205301

....well, I'm not disapointed, cause, finaly, this game is exactly what I excpected it to be : "same, with minor improvements....eventualy not as good as we hoped..."
graphics are still a bit better, menu is...well, i don't care about menu : it's usefull for console gamers...
Physics are PCars's ones...I mean on some cars it's ok, on others it's "strange"...
Is the game better than the PC1 ? Yes
Is the game a "new" game ? No
Am I stupid to bought it ? ....well.....still thinking about....I'd say : no.
Am I disapointed ? well....thinking again....I'd say : no, cause I knew this game won't be "the great game they tried to be", so i take it for what it is, a fun game, with good graphics (I don't use VR)...
Is it a "sim" ? ahah off course NO !
Is the AI better ? ...well...maybe...not particularly, so : No
Why they call it PC2 instead of "PC1 update" ? : $$$$$$$$$$$
Is it better than AC ? no
Is it better than iracing ? no
Is it better than AMS ? no
is it better than R3E ? no
Is it better than something ? yes: PC1 ;)
@++
PS : Don't think I hate it, it's a cool game, I'll play hours on this one, but I'm still waiting for a "next gen sim" (I uses to think that since the RF2 beta release, every "sim" had been more about graphics, and less about realistic physics, it started with AC, and continues with PC1...even iracing, my favorite title, become easier and easier every year...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Only had time to setup triple screen, configured by wheel/pedals/shifter (TH TX, T3PA, TH8A), and take a couple cars out on a couple tracks for testing. Wow, what an improvement over pCARS 1 - FFB feels great, cars handled fine, it looked good and ran very well at 5870x1080. I own all of the sims, this in my mind is on the same level (or very close). Perfect, no, but none are, each of my sims has strengths and weaknesses. Will be a nice addition to my library.
Only issue I found was with setting up triple screens (doesn't use NVidia surround) when I'm actually using 4 screens - I had to disconnect my primary (3440x1440) so I could configure my 3 cockpit screens (3 x 1920x1080). Not sure it was necessary but it didn't seem to allow config until I did. I also haven't tried to run again now that I've reconnected my primary. I have to hand it to SMS, pretty slick package (interface) - a ton of content and options. Again, I've heard of some AI problems etc. but I remember AC AI early on, I'll give them time to update/bug fix.

As usual, it's getting hate just for simply existing...
WTF

I'd imagine it's getting criticised by those who paid out a lot of money for the sh*t show that was Project Cars 1 (me included). PC2 sounds a bit better, but no.....it doesn't sound like it has improved enough. We all know it looked fantastic, but it drove like a turd

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

...and in the same week that Assetto Corsa launched the amazing Ferrari DLC. SMS can go f... themselves.

D

Deleted member 99238

• Deleted member 99238

Read esteemed responses and made such conclusions for myself:
1. FFB seriously improved
2. The graphics in the game became terrible.
I probably have enough of the first part.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 89 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 123 26.3%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 80 17.1%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 9.0%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 46 9.9%
  • €3001-5000