Show your car

I'm in love with my BMW M3
2018-bmw-m3-cs-1545077615.jpg

Bank of America closing time

Last edited:
Dang, looking at this thread, I've had to Google if "dying of jealousy" is really a thing or just a figure of speech! If it were really a thing, well, I'd be dead right now!

For fun cars, I've had both a '95 Miata and a '15 FR-S. I am too damn tall to track the Miata without modifications, but I was lucky enough to get the FR-S on the track and had a blast.

I wouldn't rule out another "fun car" again someday, but for the foreseeable future I'll be putting all my energy (and money) into this - a 1967 Beach Mk5c Formula Vee:
IMG_20200822_110652473.jpg

I think you can count at least 4 different shades of blue on this car...paint is on my wishlist, but I'm still recovering from the initial start up costs!

I run it with a great local vintage racing club and it's every bit as much fun as it looks. Formula Vee might be slow and, yes, even a little homely, but the fun factor is off the charts. Open wheel racing on a shoestring budget. Although vintage racing here in the States is very laid back compared to what goes on over in Europe, I get to share the track with some really, really talented and accomplished drivers. Very humbling...and so much fun I can't believe it's legal! :p

For fun cars, I've had both a '95 Miata and a '15 FR-S. I am too damn tall to track the Miata without modifications, but I was lucky enough to get the FR-S on the track and had a blast.
How tall are you? I'm right at 6'.

IMG_20200322_154631.jpg

I'm actually a hair higher in the car with Sparco Sprints than I was with foam-ectomy stock seat. I've only been talked to about my height by tech once, and they just said I was right on the line, let me drive anyway.

But I feel like if I go anywhere other than my usual track I'll need to find a hardtop first.

How tall are you? I'm right at 6'.

View attachment 429795

I'm actually a hair higher in the car with Sparco Sprints than I was with foam-ectomy stock seat. I've only been talked to about my height by tech once, and they just said I was right on the line, let me drive anyway.

But I feel like if I go anywhere other than my usual track I'll need to find a hardtop first.
Hey Arthur! I think we used to both hang around Sim HQ Motorsports, right?

I'm about 6'2" with a longish torso, so I'm way over the rollbar. My understanding of the fix is, to be safe/sturdy, they cut out the floor and then install a sub-frame that your seat can mount to. I don't think it's rocket science, but it goes well beyond my skills!

I'm sure you're better informed than I am, but what I recall for lower budget options:
- "foamectomy" - cutting open the stock seat and cutting out the butt foam.
- Getting a lower profile racing seat that attaches to the stock rails (which looks like what you might have been able to get away with)
- Removing the stock rails, cut out some metal, and attach a racing seat more or less directly to the floor.

My understanding is the third option is really not very safe, but I think it's done. I saw an in-cockpit track day video a while back - it wasn't a Miata, but was obviously a heavily modified road car with aftermarket seats. They had a semi-serious off track excursion and, in the jostling, the driver's seat came loose from the floor. Who knows what the root cause was but the moral is the same no matter what - you want your seat securely fastened to the car!

Hey Arthur! I think we used to both hang around Sim HQ Motorsports, right?

I'm about 6'2" with a longish torso, so I'm way over the rollbar. My understanding of the fix is, to be safe/sturdy, they cut out the floor and then install a sub-frame that your seat can mount to. I don't think it's rocket science, but it goes well beyond my skills!

I'm sure you're better informed than I am, but what I recall for lower budget options:
- "foamectomy" - cutting open the stock seat and cutting out the butt foam.
- Getting a lower profile racing seat that attaches to the stock rails (which looks like what you might have been able to get away with)
- Removing the stock rails, cut out some metal, and attach a racing seat more or less directly to the floor.

My understanding is the third option is really not very safe, but I think it's done. I saw an in-cockpit track day video a while back - it wasn't a Miata, but was obviously a heavily modified road car with aftermarket seats. They had a semi-serious off track excursion and, in the jostling, the driver's seat came loose from the floor. Who knows what the root cause was but the moral is the same no matter what - you want your seat securely fastened to the car!

Yeah that was me over there. :)

I've got the seats mounted to some PCI single-piece floor mounts. And I've got the seats as low as they'll possibly go.
onePieceSeatMounts-456x337.jpg

Depending on your rollbar situation, I would guess, at 6'2" you'd need to cut the floorpan, get custom mounts to make it work. I really should do the same. But just doing some HPDE stuff several times a year. Not too worried about it. I'm not a particularly aggressive driver.

Yeah that was me over there. :)

I've got the seats mounted to some PCI single-piece floor mounts. And I've got the seats as low as they'll possibly go.
onePieceSeatMounts-456x337.jpg

Depending on your rollbar situation, I would guess, at 6'2" you'd need to cut the floorpan, get custom mounts to make it work. I really should do the same. But just doing some HPDE stuff several times a year. Not too worried about it. I'm not a particularly aggressive driver.

I think your setup looks great. Really nice seat mounts, it's amazing how much clever engineering goes on in the Miata world. Those PCI's appear to attach to the factory mount points AND let you get a seat dropped in super low - perfect!

The problem people my height (and above!) get into is cutting away some of the body metal and end up bolting more or less to the floor. Under any kind of halfway serious load, your seat might as well not even be attached at all (hopefully in those cases they've at least taken their belt setup seriously!!! :confused:)

@maxilogan Nice long exposure shots, love them!

Thanks @DrRob , if I remember correctly they were about 30 to 40 s exposure each, except for the first one (which anyway was useful to understand how much of a time I needed) being about 10 s, here it is:

DSC_5050.jpg

Unfortunately, focusing in such a dim light and without anyone to help, resulted in the photos not being as crisp as I would have liked them to be, even using some DOF calculation. However, I am overall satisfied of the results!

DSC_5067.jpg

Last edited:
Few of my previous cars, up to my current :) The R32 was unfortunately stolen, otherwise it'd still be with me today :( Factory 5 speed Type M GTS25, had the original tape deck, factory sunroof, I had a Type-M front bumper with working Active Spoiler to go on it, the HICAS still worked and it even still had its original exhaust and airbox. Only mods were an Apex'i panel filter, Project Mu rotors, Acre pads and the 17x8/9 Nismo LMGT2 wheels.

Skylines.jpg

My Minis, Clubman 1000 and Cooper S, fun but the most unreliable cars i've ever owned, by far :roflmao: The Mark 1 in the corner was a flatmates

Clubman.jpg

ClubmanandCooperS.jpg

Removed the stripes and changed the wheels, much nicer. Plates were also changed after the rear fell off... Go the double sided tape...

CooperS.jpg

That was traded in on something a lot more reliable, a 2JZ Altezza Gita.

Altezza.jpg

That was eventually sold as i'd just bought myself another motorbike and a little Mazda Famila to do the grocery run in, as it was just too expensive to run around town. The aforementioned motorcycle nearly took my life last september after hitting black ice on the way to work, breaking my neck in two places, my back (after hitting a concrete lamp post) and shattering my wrist. Luckily im still 100% functional, but I definitely needed something more practical and comfortable than the Mazda, automatic was a bonus too with my buggered wrist, enter my current car, an RB1 Odyssey. K24A and plenty of creature comforts, tonnes of space for the mountain bike too :D

Odyssey.jpg

9 years since last post from me here :p
Time to update with my current lineup of cars :)

2000 Nissan Almera GTI Rallycar

1992 Toyota Camry 3.0 V6 Manual - Project car

2003 Hyundai Terracan

2001 Opel Astra 2,2 Bertone "Bertony" - track car owned together with
@Ole Marius Myrvold and @Roy Magnes :)

2021 Update!

Still own the same cars as the last post, but the rallycar has changed colors! :D
148248356_2824519924430501_6166723361047034559_o.jpg

And i acquired this beauty! :)
2004 Volvo V70 D5
115883927_10163801688510534_5328747076475875590_o.jpg

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%