Should a physics model be final at the point of release?

In my short time of enjoying sim racing one thing that I’ve noticed cropping up repeatedly is that the developers often make many, shall we say, improvements to the physics model during the supported lifetime of the game.

This has certainly been the case with AC, PC2, GTS, F1, DR2, and now ACC is going through this cycle. Sometimes this is for playability reasons a’la GTS and F1, but mostly it appears to be a general desire on the part of the devs to bring the most realistic driving experience to their product.

In many ways I guess we should be happy about that, well, at least happy about the devs who are striving for realism. And I’m also happy about it… mostly.

There are nevertheless issues with such an approach.

With sims that use worldwide leaderboards it can leave times on there that are to all intents and purposes unobtainable with a newer version of the physics, unless the devs are prepared to do a reset.

Also if you’re heavily invested in setups it can mean a lot of work down the drain. One person over on the AC forums said a few hundred hours of work were lost after ACC introduced body-flex.

And for those of us, like me, that make use of minimal changes, it can go to needing to drive the same car on the same track in a completely different style overnight.

From my own personal point of view I half think that all physics engine changes should be done in the beta, public beta and early access versions. As soon as the sim is officially released then the physics engine should be locked down and set in stone, unless there is a glaring problem with it. That way everybody has a consistent baseline. Anything you can do today will be repeatable 2 years down the line.

Then again I welcome all the physics improvements that occur during the supported lifetime of the product.

So, I guess I’m on the fence. Where do you stand?

I'm happy to accept a 'WIP' physics model (e.g. Assetto Corsa) as long as it does get improved.

I would not be willing to accept sub-par physics with the promise of improvements that either never materialise, or that will appear in the game's sequel (e.g. pCars1).

I am not in favor of any sim that considered as a WIP, or other wise acknowledging that it is in Beta. If I am going to be testing something I want to know that going in. I expect that the product is the best it can be at time of release. Having said that I welcome, and expect continuous improvements over the life of the product.
What I don't like is the constant releases of a product, 2019, 2020,2021 etc.. I prefer the R3E or iRacing approach as all the content, with very few exceptions, are updated and available over the years.
The price to pay is leaderboards may be cleared, setups lost and the learning curve of the update. I am a perennial mid pack racer that doesn't use a whole lot of time setting up a car as I find the default more than adequate for my ability so this effects me less than others, but I do appreciate the feeling of time lost for those that do.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back