Sheeps must eat grass NOT fps

Now Im sheepedoff :mad: Track runs fine with some 150 FPS, added some bloody sheeps, just some 500 or so and now fps drops with 50%.
First I thought that is was caused because I've added on almost whole track transparent walls to avoid jumping out but when I removed all those walls, fps almost the same.

So it's not the transparent walls, cost me only 2 hours work...

Famous song: Too much sheeps will kill you?

I did killed some harmless sheeps, fps little better at some points but without sheeps no sheepvalley.
No colliding, shadows etc. just, only render.

Any solution ?

tia

Thanks for all so kind thinking with me, but I think it's not only my sheeps, I did change something wich I can't remember.
Besides that I'm just a learning noob trying to understand how to build a track.
Was just testing with a friend, and he didnt notice any fps problems, only 200 to 500 fps ...
At my system between 70 and 150 fps.

Sheep texture: cant find, just material, Rural Australia, sheep_01.jpg. 4 KB

Use lods ? I don't understand.

In case you want to test, try http://members.ziggo.nl/world/rFactor/tracks/SheepValley_B7.rar

And tell me whats the bottleneck.

@Mianiak: Ok I changed lod for all sheeps into 0 - 2000 (was 0-1000) , don't notice fps improvement.
@Kyle Puttifer: Yes I know how to change transparancy into alpha, tnx.
Do you mean this (SObject) fence?
fence001_as.jpg

Btw, I did elevate some terrain sections, can this be (also) the reason for lower fps?

Edit: Just did some tests, added hundrerds extra sheeps fps the same, it's NOT the sheeps.....

The LOD (out) 1000 means you will see the sheeps from 1000 meters, 2000 means 2000 meters- even if they are behind mountains. This means your machine will render all of your sheeps all the time. This is what drops down your framerate. I don't think you need it really :D

Yes, that fence, and there may have been another one, I can't remember.

I don't think the height of terrain matters at all, it matters what the polygon count is. The reason your sheep don't affect FPS is because it is 4 polys per sheep, and that is amazing. But if you have high-poly terrain, then that could also cause problems.

It's only half the job to create a nice-looking track - the other half is optimising the FPS, and making sure it still looks nice.

The LOD (out) 1000 means you will see the sheeps from 1000 meters, 2000 means 2000 meters- even if they are behind mountains. This means your machine will render all of your sheeps all the time. This is what drops down your framerate. I don't think you need it really :D

tnx, set lod out wrong, will try 500. But you're right it's not the sheeps.

Edit: tried lod out 200 no effect ;)

Yes, that fence, and there may have been another one, I can't remember.

I don't think the height of terrain matters at all, it matters what the polygon count is. The reason your sheep don't affect FPS is because it is 4 polys per sheep, and that is amazing. But if you have high-poly terrain, then that could also cause problems.

It's only half the job to create a nice-looking track - the other half is optimising the FPS, and making sure it still looks nice.

No, just flattend all elevated terrains, no effect on fps.
Removed all Piddy skidmarks, no effect on fps.
Removed all Great Britain (rbr) buildings, no effect on fps.
Sheeps 4 polys is good then ? are Alpha.

Ok next step I remove all walls and see whats happening.

Yes sir, you're right, creating is indeed easy, optimizing other story, grr

I think these sheeps could be even 2 polys. Try these files from attached zip. They are 128x128, no mipmaps, DTX3 - should be enough to look nice :) Original files are 86 kb, new - 17kb.
Replace the files into Australian xpack, remember to not use mipmaps for the materials (MIP=0) And set the material as "render normals up" and "double sided". And of course "use Alpha". If you don't know how to make an xpack, you can do it also in BTB. /Go to Edit Materials - there :)

Attachments

• sheeps.zip
    10.5 KB · Views: 139
I think these sheeps could be even 2 polys. Try these files from attached zip. They are 128x128, no mipmaps, DTX3 - should be enough to look nice :) Original files are 86 kb, new - 17kb.
Replace the files into Australian xpack, remember to not use mipmaps for the materials (MIP=0) And set the material as "render normals up" and "double sided". And of course "use Alpha". If you don't know how to make an xpack, you can do it also in BTB. /Go to Edit Materials - there :)

Tnx again m8, working on it, btw was watching your Kormoran Rally still dizy :) rf pacenotes plugin ?

Tnx m8, but in Xpack I can't add some materials must be 3ds, so I leave that empthy. So just textures, 2 sheeps dds, but then I can't change values like mip, double, alpha.
Saved the zipper, not possible with winzip but with winrar as zip copied to Xpacks.

So in btb I goto edit materials set all values and again and again I get the unhandled exception error.
Tried to be smart and changed the materials\objects\animals\sheep_01.xml: result, can't load my latetst project anymore. But you can change in that xml file all values like mip, double and alpha ;) Must be copied into projects ?

No worries, have another one saved ;)

Tnx m8, but in Xpack I can't add some materials must be 3ds, so I leave that empthy. So just textures, 2 sheeps dds, but then I can't change values like mip, double, alpha.

In XPack, Materials tab, have you tried the 'Add from Textures' button bottom left? That will copy the texture into the XPack and you will be able to change values like mip, double, alpha in the Materials tab.

In XPack, Materials tab, have you tried the 'Add from Textures' button bottom left? That will copy the texture into the XPack and you will be able to change values like mip, double, alpha in the Materials tab.

Yes sir ! missed that option, done now :cool:

Though, when saved with xpacker, in BTB Venue mats both sheeps double was again disabled , but now no unhandled exception when try to change.

Me very (sheep) happy now :D

:doublethumb: : 2sheep001_as.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back