Shaders Patch Preview 114, thoughts?

Been running AC with Shaders Patch Preview 114 and testing out the new features, particularly those in Extra FX. Mixed I'd say.

SSLR - Enhances reflection mapping. Looks pretty, big FPS killer on tracks like LA Canyons.
Motion Blur - Same really, looks pretty, but on detail heavy tracks the FPS goes down.
SSAO - Have been getting some screen tear on tracks like Barcelona on the night setting and LA Canyons. This might be the cause. Wasn't in 74 and didn't get it then. Will try disabling it in a bit.

Other than that everything else is really good, on less resource heavy things the FPS even went up a tad and loading times are quicker. Once I locate the cause of that tearing I think we'll be cooking with gas.

Of course, these are just my experiences, yours may be different. Let me know.

Last edited:
By the way, my FXAA is turned off because I use JBX Settings and Reshade. Something I can highly recommend. Their PPfilter for GBW works just as well with Sol.
I used Reshade before, but in the end the highest possible performance is to throw away all additional post processing and upscaler/downscaler. Finally with CSP 114 i have now a setup to reach my monitors 144 Hz even with 24 AI. IMO Esp. in the range from 60 to 120 HZ the most boost in immersion is done.

I did test 112 and 114, but I've reverted back to 49, main reasons being the always-on wet track reflections, and Sol 1.1.1 bugs out. I'm not sure why, but my time/weather settings of 18:30/Scattered Clouds seems to revert to blue sky. I am a VR (Vive) user as well, and the performance hit was quite significant, but once I realised that I could not remove the track reflections I stopped tinkering with settings and reverted back to 49. Sol behaves normally once I revert back to 49.
Amazing that CSP is at build 114. The amount of work being put in crazy. Much appreciation to everyone involved in the Shaders Patch, and Sol.

edit: sorry, got my version numbers wrong

Last edited:
I used Reshade before, but in the end the highest possible performance is to throw away all additional post processing and upscaler/downscaler. Finally with CSP 114 i have now a setup to reach my monitors 144 Hz even with 24 AI. IMO Esp. in the range from 60 to 120 HZ the most boost in immersion is done.

I like the SMAA in JBX Settings. I didn't realise quite what that DSR did, but turned it off when I did. I guess each of us has a particular setup that works for them and mine works for me. You must have a nice monitor if it has a 144hz refresh, which connection do you use for that?

Yeah, I was using that, but I borked it somehow. I unplugged the cable to try the HDMI, unplugged that and when I plugged the DisplayPort cable back in again, I got no picture whatsoever. The monitor was set to the correct input as well, the screen was completely black and it didn't say no signal. I threw out the only other cable I had, as I'd had the issue before and it was better with the other cable and the current one was fine till I unplugged it. I'm not sure if the cable or port is what is knackered.

Still, I get less tearing when I use the HDMI and I bought a really nice cable for it

Check this out!

The jittering and tearing that I was experiencing with VSync off was NOT due to it being off! It was caused by the Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames setting in NVidia Control panel! By default if is set to 1, I set it to 'Use the 3D application setting' and the jitter and tearing are gone and my frame rates are unlimited!!

4G9KqnC.jpg

Having an FX processor had NOTHING to do with it!

I never got the same thing twice with adaptive, it was either smooth or jittery as hell and you never knew which you were going to get. Sadly, a trip round LAC proved that having VSync on was actually better. With it off there was an effect akin to strobing and it was really distracting. A smooth 60fps is preferable to a jittery higher rate that would do my head in. It is nice to know, for those that can make better use of it, that the pre-rendered frames setting can make a difference. I've left that alone.

• Deleted member 197115

What you want is:
1) Turn Vsync off in AC
2) Set it to adaptive in Nvidia CPL
3) Set maximum prerendered frames (not VR) this one, to 1 to minimize lag. (Note: on some systems it can cause performance issues, so test)
upload_2019-5-17_9-54-36.png

Bugger, realised my mistake, the setting you point to there was set to Use 3D application setting. I'm still sure, however, that I never got the same performance twice with it set to adaptive. On one run the FPS would be all over the place and it was jittery and on the next it would be smooth. I'll give it a go though....

Hmm,

With VSync set to adaptive and those set to 1, some laggy parts of track were better. On a Barclelona City track on a night setting there was some screen tear, but, I didn't have to turn the Extra FX off in CSP. The frame rate is pretty much capped at 60fps like it was with VSync set to On. I'm guessing that's what I should have expected, isn't it!?

Ok, looks like the killer combo is VSync adaptive, Max pre-rendered at 1 and VR Max pre-rendered to Use the 3D application setting. That seems to me to be where everything is smoothest without any need to turn the ExtraFX off. Thanks for your help on this one Andrew!

Last edited:
  • Deleted member 197115

Hmm,

With VSync set to adaptive and those set to 1, some laggy parts of track were better. On a Barclelona City track on a night setting there was some screen tear, but, I didn't have to turn the Extra FX off in CSP. The frame rate is pretty much capped at 60fps like it was with VSync set to On. I'm guessing that's what I should have expected, isn't it!?
Yes, regular VSync chop framerate in half when dropping under monitor refresh rate, adaptive just caps what is over and doesn't do anything if you fall under, that prevents choppiness when you have small occasional dips under 60 fps.
Guess we derailed the thread quite a bit.

Not really, as effectively running the new features in CSP114 does depend on having things set up just right, so we haven't wasted anybody's time. Besides, it's my thread anyway, LOL! I couldn't have run the ExtraFX on that Barcelona track without your NVidia CP settings.

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.4%
  • More leagues

Votes: 41 19.4%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.4%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.4%
  • Forum trophies

Votes: 14 6.6%