Season 8 Race 9 - Barcelona Setup Thread

I'll start this one early because from my experience, Barcelona is the most setup sensitive track in the calendar.. I'll ask a setup this early so i can do my practices early. Last race proved that when i didn't do it in the first week, i suddenly found no time to do setup and early practice sessions. Then closer to race, i had half an hour, hour here and there to do race stints but with no preliminary steps, that was not possible... If Nicolai has a setup from previous seasons, that would be the best but Reik and others can post theirs too, i've learned enough from you that i can modify them easily. to fit to my "style".. :)

I failed to post my setup for last race and that was a mistake from me. My problem was that I thought my setup was lacking serious pace, that it simply was not competitive. But it was very easy to drive, and I more or less had the same pace as the mid-field, so the lesson learned for me is that there is never a reason not to post my setup.

I will have a look at my setup's later tonight and hopefully post somthing :) Anyone have any ideas about wings (very roughly)?

Guys, I'm sorry for directing you to my old setup from last year, because I tested it yesterday evening and found out that it's not good anymore. Very tricky to drive, much over steering, just not fitting my style anymore.

As a basis for my new setup I took the one from the last event at Bahrain and changed some things. Now it feels comfortable and I could reach my old PB within two qualy sessions on the practice server.

Wings are 7/35 but you could also do well with lower wings. Still not sure which wing setting to use in the race though. Maybe it depends on the forecast.

Attachments

• Reik-07Barca-2012-F1-ac.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 299
Not getting great lap times but the car feels good. I used Nicolais setup which again felt really good for me, not so safe than before but the track is different, the bumbs and off-cambers make it interesting (without those, Barcelona would be really boring, now it's a good challlenge). Only thing i have to take care is when there's quick changes in directions, the rear may snap off. Hard to trust in opposite lock corrections. I got some of it off by decreasing caster so steering input don't affect so much in to balance.

I just finished couple of race stints using Reik 2012 Q setup for race and the car felt great for the whole stint so nothing needed to be adjusted except for maybe adding couple of clicks to the rear wing" depending on the person's driving style " to stabilize the rear but by doing that the front left tends to go down to 53 % on softs and 13 laps ..

This track is hungry for rubber :mad:

I can say i am ready for the race on wednesday , thx a lot to Reik and everyone who posted his setup here ;)

of topic : I watched few days ago a Norwegian movie called "Headhunters " I did download it from the internet with no English subtitle , i could understand most of it but had to guess some of the rest :D , a fantastic movie thriller that one must see... well done guys up there :thumbsup:

Here's my current hotlap, not a perfect lap and i can go couple of tenths faster. It's done with the Nicolai setup as a base, there was really no time difference between that and Valerios setup but i felt more consistent with the stiffer setup this time... Feel free to point out where i could do better, that's why i posted this... I finally got the sound issue sorted with fraps so i can start to post these more often. It's superimposed with telemetry data (G-force lateral, brake pedal, steering, throttle and G-Force longitudinal) One thing is already prevalent; the replay in game is not accurate enough to really see driver inputs.. just look at how the steering wheel stays the same in cockpit while the actual steering input can do quite radical movements...

edit: damn, the telemetry is a bit out of sync.. Vegas is not so good with syncing (or i'm not good enough to use it), i usually see it in youtube is it's correct or not.. The preview is so laggy in my machine that it's a hit&miss operation... The error is tiny, video is still useable.

Here is my best lap, 1:17:405, done with the setup at the bottom of this post.

Feel free to point out where i could do better, that's why i posted this...
It looks like a very nice, tidy and controlled lap, but in some places you are a bit late/soft on the throttle out of the corners. I think you'll find that the more laps you do with the same setup, the more you will "attack each corner". I have done roughly 100 laps the last week where my lap time slowly have gone down from 1:19:xxx and to the lap in the video which is my new PB 9 thousends of a second faster than last year :)

It would be cool to see the gear and speed on your lap, so one easier can analyse the lap. If your setup is based on mine, our laps should be relative comparable (similar gearing etc)

Attachments

• s8 q2.svm
    2.5 KB · Views: 302
It fits, i felt safe on the exits :O_o: .. Turn 3 isn't like i want it to be in the video, today i concentrated on moving to outside sooner, it helps reliving the pressure from that heavily used left front. I'll do more laps and post the next video with gear and speed instead of g-forces. And just for mention, that's not my usual cockpit camera movement, it's only for replays. I don't use the visible steering wheel and the camera doesn't move so much..

I've done only ~50 laps so far and that video lap was taken ~20 laps in, but i haven't made any qualy runs after that, only heavy load and soft or medium compounds. Track is familiar to me, i've done a lot of laps here with Formula Masters and tinroofers.

Kennett, you can still gain a lots of time by changing at least one thing in your driving.

Always make sure that your turn-in point (the point where you initiate turning in to the corner) to the corners is as close to the outside of the track as possible. You must do this to be able to make the radius of your driving line as large as possible (to be able to carry more speed through the corners). Doing this would have helped you a lot in corners 1 and 5 (2nd gear left-hander) in your hotlap. Especially in the 5th corner you will gain a lot, as your turn-in point was almost in the middle of the track. There are other corners though where your turn-in point is perfectly placed at the really outside of the track. So doing this in every corner (corners close to each other sometimes make an exception!) and on every lap of the race will make you a faster driver.

Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea