SEASON 18 RACE 3 - MALAYSIA - RACE REPORTS -

Quali I did my pb not so often happen and when is Im happy:D

Race 1 a big fun and intense race :thumbsup:

Race2 nice race until lap 6/7 then no more tires, in race 1 I did 12laps and no pit in race 2 after 9 laps Im on 6% FL tire:O_o: so 2 pits and no chance for a good position but finish the race and in penultimate lap my time lap was near near my pb maybe Peter on my back and I dont want lapping so push push Vale you are on fresh tires:D

Congrats Winners and all us
thanks to the organizers;)

at next track guys

I managed to be in time for Race 2, but I was not alone in the room, so I got distracted often. I lost my concentration 2 times. The first time I went off and lost some possitions and got some flatspots. The second time I hit the barriers so I got suspension damage, not fixed after pit.

Hopefully I`ll have a better time next races.

Race 1
Start was ok, lost a position which I could regain in lap 1. In lap 3 turn 4 I I took the inside and managed to pass Vidimari and also F Valle who went wide. Valle took P3 away from me few corners later, because I went a little too wide.
Managed to get P3 back by getting a good exit in the last turn and also having DRS on the straight, so it was an easy pass. In lap 8 Daniele Vidimari passed me in T1 on the outside (nice move).
David went past me in the last turn on Lap 9, I overcooked my tires trying to follow Daniele Vidimari too close.
Kyran, who spun out the lap before tried to get past me on the last lap in T9, we were side by side and crashed in T11. I tried to take the corner really tight, but my tires were just not doing it.
Ended in P8 in the end.

Race 2

Started in P8, Nicolas in front of me got away slow managed to pass him and also survive the crash resulting from his slow start and some sandwiching. By T2 I was in P5. Braked slightly early for T4 , which Valerio and Kyran took by chance and passed me left and right. :barefoot:
In T9 4 cars in front of me went wide :p and I passed 3 of them on the inside. So by the end of Lap 1 I was in P4. I stuck to Mario Marquez and when he overtook April on the start finish straight on the left side, I passed April on the right and out braked him, P2. :rolleyes:
In Lap 13 Mario passed me and I pitted in lap 14. Left the pits in P10, once everyone served his pit stop I was in P5. After trying to catch David, my tires were overheating and Mario went past me in Lap 27. P5 in the end.

Overall this race was very good for me, except for the incident in the last lap in the first race.
It was a nice feeling to be driving behind David and actually catching up to him. :cool:
Suzuka here we come. :)

Last edited:
Not so fast in qualifying but both races have been very funny in my side, race 2 was intense on track and in pitlane. I think i had more downforce then the others, this could be why my tires were good, so my laps were consistent :)

Here a little video with my personal highlights (***** mouse cursor :roflmao:)

Looking forward to Suzuka, i love the track but i'm sure it will be tricky!

I had far less practice time for this race than previously, and yet again I managed to set off on entirely the wrong setup choice. I was told that I should be using the high downforce kit, which helped, but seriously, I am just not up to speed with setting up a formula car yet, so I'm still miles off the pace.

I know you like to share setups but a lot of the satisfaction I get from simracing is from working on them myself. However - and this is a BIG "however" - it meant that I was facing an entire race by myself in race 1, and a longer race by myself in race 2 (once everyone had passed me). This did not please me. More on that in a minute.

So yes, after I managed to run wide, spin, and let everyone past early on in race 2, I realised that, for several reasons, my heart was not in the effort and I could not take another 20 laps alone, chasing nothing. So I pulled into the pits and left the race. I'm sorry about that but I wasn't getting any enjoyment.

So there's a problem. I have a lot to learn in the detail of setting up a winged formula car, but am not enjoying the effort required. I think I am particularly thrown by the existence of the Low, Medium, and High downforce kits. If you pick the wrong one, you are driving with one hand behind your back. Even WITH the right one, there are options in there whose magic I am only beginning to understand. Interesting, but not fun yet.

So, as a one-off for the next race, I will probably accept somebody else's setup and see just how far off the pace I really am. Then I can decide whether to save you all the effort of having to negotiate my car and just resign from the league. If I'm getting no pleasure, and you aren't even noticing me being at the event, it would make sense.

Good idea on you trying one of the posted setups, if it helps direct you to what makes these cars work then you can use it as a base to find your own balance, some of our setups have been made over a few seasons so they are pretty decent.

Also downforce packages, you will find that 90% of tracks use high downforce package, the exceptions are Monza (low) Russia (medium) Spa (Medium), but some will still use hdf at Spa (like me)

Qualy: My personal best time and 3rd position on the grid :)

Race 1: Good start and fight with @David Turnbull for 1st in the first corner. I tried the outside line :ninja: but it didn't work. After that I served my Drive Through in the 2nd lap and finished the race in 9th.

Race 2: This was an intense race. Starting from the back of the pack I found myself in 3rd position at the end of the first lap. After that I had great duels with @April Dillon and @jego. I extended the pit stop up to lap 18 but now seeing that after the race it wasn't the most optimal strategy as I lost track position with the cars that did the undercut and I rejoined in 6th. For the last 10 laps it was Hammertime :sneaky: (not exempt on mistakes on my side). I could recover 2 positions and almost finished 3rd after a last turn side by side with @David Turnbull.

Overall a huge improvent compared to Singapore. Really looking forward to race on my favorite racetrack next week :D

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back