SEASON 11 Race 5 ABU DHABI INCIDENT REPORT

Incident with Alberto on lap 7 (i think). Pushed really hard to keep up, tried to pressure him for a mistake. But it was i who fumbled. No excuses, two lockups, panic and third one was too much on the twisty section. Speed difference wasn't much but the angle was something that i just knew he would spin and i would then ram him again. Was pretty helpless trying to stay above lockup and slow down as much as i could but the damage was done. He spun, i t-boned him off track.. I had driven myself in a corner where there no options left, no room to swerve myself in to a wall, only thing that i could do was damage limitations. I really didn't think of walls and me, just tried to get us both with out suspension or aero damage. I didn't suffer anything, did you Alberto?

I'm very very sorry, i should've backed down after second close call.

I need to drive more on the limits, even if it means more qualy practice and short stints mixed with longer stints.. First real incident in a long long time and i know exactly what i did wrong.. I can only apologize.

That was within a hair of sending me to DNF, Kennett, but fortunately it was only suspension damage and not so bad that I could not go on.

I was following somebody later in exactly the same place and I realized how quick the car gets dragged in there, very very easy to have an accident until you realize it feels like a sweeping turn but it can be as dangerous as the sharps at the end of the straights.

However, I had some great laps chasing you, what a pain you are! :p Every hard braking (so early!) I was juggling to not smash into your car, and then monster traction and no way to keep up to overtake.

I would very much like to see you and some or the other un-alien drivers more in the servers, I always end up training with people that is 2s/lap faster, and we do lack heaps of wheel to wheel training as a result.

I believe I did not have any other incident during race. Some little bumping in heavy braking areas, maybe.

In qualy, I was in my second lap, improving 1s my time, and I was punted by Anthony in the very last turn. A bit more of patience, please, with only one turn left and being so much in green i did not feel to let way, and how much extra time can be to stick behind me for just one turn? Of course it ruined both our laps, and the worse is that I got distracted trying to just cross to pits and I almost totaled Valerio Valter (sorry, sorry, sorry).

Last edited:
That was within a hair of sending me to DNF, Kennett, but fortunately it was only suspension damage and not so bad that I could not go on.

I was following somebody later in exactly the same place and I realized how quick the car gets dragged in there, very very easy to have an accident until you realize it feels like a sweeping turn but it can be as dangerous as the sharps at the end of the straights.

However, I had some great laps chasing you, what a pain you are! :p Every hard braking (so early!) I was juggling to not smash into your car, and then monster traction and no way to keep up to overtake.

I would very much like to see you and some or the other un-alien drivers more in the servers, I always end up training with people that is 2s/lap faster, and we do lack heaps of wheel to wheel training as a result.

Man, i'm really sorry you got damage too. It is dangerous corner to follow.

My suspicions was right, too light on the brakes. The brake distances seemed overly long.

Good idea of getting people from back of the grid doing laps together. It should increase the amount of laps cars are closer to each other, with guys that are that 2-3 seconds (or more) faster the "lesson" is maybe 4 corners long.

at the time i didnt think we'd made contact but knew that something had happened to make dino go into a half spin so made the decision instantly that id wait and let him get back in front of me, ended up costing me positions to reik and tim too :(

im still in two minds about this incident though, in high speed from my replay it looks like i win the corner and dino couldve left a bit more space instead of turning in at that point, from the slow mo vids its clear i drift slightly from the inside kerb and dino is coming back towards me too, as you'll see in the vids theres no contact but a fresh air shot, its unfortunate but i think this was more a racing incident where both of us couldve done more to avoid it theres about another car width either side of both of us so we deffo couldve gave each other more space.

No incident to report.

Dino, what do you think of what David did? You said you thought you left enough room, what about David? Do you think
a) he should have stayed behind you (not gone for the inside)?
b) the same as he did but an even tighter corner (leaving more room)?

I've looked at the replay many times, and I cannot see what David should have done differently. In my view this could only have been avoided with greater safety margins (leaving more room for each other) primerily from Dino (or by David not trying the pass in the first place).

Having said all this I think you were unlucky. As Reik sais, I think this would have gone well 4 out of 5 times.

It's worth a mention that he did not touch me in his replay but in mine he did and that there was obviously a sync/lag issue there.
At some point I have to turn in to this corner to make it in a somewhat normal way without just letting him past in a situation in which I was still slightly in front.
The only car I did conciously leave room for a car + lag-space was Tim in this race as his car was constantly jumping around, but there usually is no need for that for David's car.

But again, there would have been no touch without the lag issue.

i didnt want to mention that dreaded sync issue, its also worth noting if you look at tim in my replay, he was totally fine last night, no lag or jumpy car, id purposely restarted all my equipment before the race after dino noticing me lagging last practise starts at monza, its just one of those things, the replay is always going to show more of what both of us could do to avoid it, at high speed though the decisions are made in split second, only thing id maybe do diffrent in this situation is drive on and not lose positions, i was in two minds at the time about waiting or continueing, i had no report of a contact through ffb but i saw dino in my mirror and had to make that decision, theres no bad feelings or anything and i deffo take equal portion of responsibility so all is good from my side :)

During my hotlap a car crossed the track from left just after last corner. I almost hit the poor man on the right side, we would have both died on the spot. Because of this fearless guy I had a moving chicane added to my lap. Bad luck, wasn't it?

No other incident to whine about.

Oh, that was you then, I thought it was Valerio (blue cars). I'm very sorry for this, I had just been sent out off track on my fast lap, saw the pit entry in front of me... and was not thinking clear at all.

Just a couple of minor things:whistling:

TS522, Vincenzo went for a pass into T8/9, I tried to hold the outside to be inside for the second apex, I dropped back a little and just clipped Vinny's rear wheel causing him to slide and have to correct, I backed off the gas to allow him to continue ahead, Peter passed me in the process, Sorry Vinny

TS2848, I tried to and (I believe) fairly passed Anthony into T11 but there appeared to be some wheel to wheel contact on my replay, not sure how it looked from Anthony's POV

That's about it really

In qualy, I was in my second lap, improving 1s my time, and I was punted by Anthony in the very last turn. A bit more of patience, please, with only one turn left and being so much in green i did not feel to let way, and how much extra time can be to stick behind me for just one turn? Of course it ruined both our laps, and the worse is that I got distracted trying to just cross to pits and I almost totaled Valerio (sorry, sorry, sorry).

My apology Alberto for putting you and myself in that situation, I definitely did not mean to ruin your or my lap and I believe I had enough patience to stick to the qualy rules and stay behind you for 2 laps even though I felt I was faster than you but unfortunately we met there before the last turn and my lap was in green as well and I thought we both could make the last turn side by side without any problem but I realised very late when u start turning in , that the final turn best be taken tight and only one car will be through , so I jumped on the brakes to avoid hitting you and my car went sideways touching your car who was already going sideways somehow, ( my mistake in that situation).

I guess it will be in your favour to not be the 6th car in line to leave the pits as you did this time , you could have waited a bit until the other guys who match your speed are out , i was behind you when i left the pits but I thought your red car was Vince and it was too late to abandon my lap and start again when I realised that it was you , I tried to leave way enough gap to you but unfortunately it did not work..

Last edited:
Just a couple of minor things:whistling:

TS2848, I tried to and (I believe) fairly passed Anthony into T11 but there appeared to be some wheel to wheel contact on my replay, not sure how it looked from Anthony's POV
your pass was clean Jim, we had some wheel contact there but it was small sync issue there who caused the little push , the same thing happened when Nicolai passed me right after the long strait .

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back