Schumacher Signs With Ferrari Junior Driver Programme

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Mick Schumacher Joins Ferrari.jpg

Mick Schumacher has been confirmed as an official Ferrari 'Young Driver' for 2019, continuing the legendary Schumacher legacy in Formula One racing.

Joining the squad where his father secured five of his record seven World Championship victories during the 2000's, Schumacher Jr. has today confirmed his appointment to the Ferrari Junior Driver programme from 2019 - working with the Scuderia alongside his Formula Two commitments with the Prema Powerteam team.

Schumacher joins the FDA alongside fellow young drivers Callum Ilott, Marcus Armstrong, Robert Schwartzman, Enzo Fittipaldi, Gianluca Petecof and son of fellow former Ferrari Grand Prix Jean Alesi, Giuliano Alesi.

Understandably Schumacher was delighted to take this important step in his career:

“I am very happy to have reached an agreement with Ferrari and the fact that my future in car racing is in red, becoming part of the Ferrari Driver Academy and so also of the Ferrari family.”

“This is another step in the right direction and I will only be able to benefit from the immense expertise that is there. Surely I will do everything to be able to learn everything that can help me to achieve and my dream: to race in Formula 1.”

“It is more than obvious that Ferrari has a huge place in my heart since I was born and in that of our family, I am also happy on a personal level for this opportunity. I would also like to thank my family, friends and partners who have supported and helped me get to this point,” added the 2019 Prema Powerteam Formula Two driver.
Schumacher joins the development programme at Ferrari following championship success in the FIA Formula Three series last season.

For more from the world of Formula One, head over to the RaceDepartment Formula One sub forum and join in with fellow fans of the top level of open wheel motorsport.

Like what we do at RaceDepartment? Follow us on Social Media!

Happy as I am for him, Fittipaldi and Alesi, I still have to wonder about all the young talent who are being overlooked because they don't have a famous surname.
The FIA and motorsport in general, does not seem to be too responsive to building new series to attract unknown talent.
Hopefully this will change in the not-to-distant future.

Well said. I agree. It's one thing to try to measure up to the greats of the past, which everyone wants to do. But as far as I know, apples fall near or far from trees but talent isn't necessarily genetic. Having said that, I'm a huge fan of Schumacher and knowing how proud his father must be about this news is something that makes me happy.

Motorsport was never about being fair to young talents, it's always been about money and you name

Only things like GT Academy are changing rules a bit, which is why I really like them for , more fair chance they provide

apex11

@Simberia
Well said. I agree. It's one thing to try to measure up to the greats of the past, which everyone wants to do. But as far as I know, apples fall near or far from trees but talent isn't necessarily genetic. Having said that, I'm a huge fan of Schumacher and knowing how proud his father must be about this news is something that makes me happy.

I doubt his Dad has a clue who he is let alone what he is racing...

Why do "unknowns" deserve a spot ahead of the current European F3 Champion
Would he have ever got the spot without it ?

Everyone's his doctor, how do you know he is not hearing and feeling

One patients story........
Terrifyingly, I was aware of everything going on around me. I could see and hear the doctors and nurses busying themselves and filling in charts. I heard them say I was showing no signs of consciousness and that I was brain dead.

This is what it must feel like to be buried alive only worse, because I could see life carrying on around me and had no way of being part of it. I wanted to scream.

protonv5

@Simberia
Happy as I am for him, Fittipaldi and Alesi, I still have to wonder about all the young talent who are being overlooked because they don't have a famous surname.
The FIA and motorsport in general, does not seem to be too responsive to building new series to attract unknown talent.
Hopefully this will change in the not-to-distant future.
It won't. The whole world is pay-to-play. Unfortunately. Having said that, nothing at all against him. I love Michael, Ralf and it's more than likely that Mick will have talent as well. It seems to run in motorsport families.

I'm not generally keen on seeing people get a drive just because of their name, but to be completely fair, Mick has actually produced some great results so far. I wish him well, and I will actually look forward to seeing this Schumacher on the F1 grid.
But more than that, one day, I hope we'll see Michael watching him from the pits.

I'm not generally keen on seeing people get a drive just because of their name, but to be completely fair, Mick has actually produced some great results so far. I wish him well, and I will actually look forward to seeing this Schumacher on the F1 grid.
But more than that, one day, I hope we'll see Michael watching him from the pits.

2009-2019 FB challenge of Michael Schumacher smiling again.

The only reason I can see that this social media "challenge" might have some importance to me.

I doubt his Dad has a clue who he is let alone what he is racing...
No one knows what Michael's condition is. He could have symptoms ranging from having lost motor control or sensory input to being locked in. It's somewhat presumptuous and insensitive to assume he's brain dead. But nerves grow back very slowly and the human brain is a remarkable thing. Whatever his condition, I hope he's continuing the fight and looking forward to a brighter future.

I'm not generally keen on seeing people get a drive just because of their name, but to be completely fair, Mick has actually produced some great results so far.
It would be very difficult not to get caught up in the fact he's the son of the great Schumacher. Just the name alone is worth it's weight in marketing gold. It could be seen as a blessing or a curse, being the son of means he get's doors opened to him for free that simply aren't even accessible to others no matter how much talent they have. But at the same time, the expectations on him are massive, the challenge to match he's father, never mind better him are seemingly insurmountable. He'll probably be expected to win back all those records Hamilton took for the Schumacher name by many fans. That's going to be borderline impossible.

He was born with a huge advantage over everyone else, that's true, he was probably in a go kart from a very early age, getting advice from the best drivers in the world. Even if he only made half arsed attempts to race he'd likely be better than 50% of the drivers on the planet just because of his upbringing. The bottom line is he's likely been working really hard to be a professional driver since he was a young child. He's had every opportunity given to him which is a lot of pressure to put on a young man. But it looks to me like he's put in the work.

It would be daft to not to put this man on track though, he's the perfect storm of name and talent. He's name would make people watch whatever series he takes part it. Maybe not fair on all the other drivers working so hard to compete but it's a fact. Some people just get a better start in life, that's often what parents work their whole life to achieve for their kids. It's not he's fault he's the son of Schumacher the great, if he can race well that's all that matters in the end.

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 91 19.1%
  • €151-500

Votes: 127 26.6%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 81 17.0%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 42 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 48 10.1%
  • €3001-5000