Sauber signs Gutierrez and Frijns. Kobayashi out.

OverTake.gg

Administrator
Staff
Esteban-Gutierrez-720x540.jpg

As expected, Esteban Gutierrez will race for Sauber next season, replacing McLaren bound Sergio Pérez in the team alongside recent signing Nico Hulkenberg.

The signing means Kamui Kobayashi has failed in his bid to find the funding necessary to retain his seat in his native Japan.

"This is the start of the real challenge to succeed at the pinnacle of motor sport,” said Gutierrez. “Nico Hulkenberg will be a good reference point for me and will push me to adapt quickly to F1 competition so we can develop the car together.’

Sauber team principal Monisha Kaltenborn added: "Esteban has great talent and now he's ready to take the leap. We are in no doubt that we have a strong driver pairing in place for the 2013 season."

Commenting on Kobayashi’s exit in Friday afternoon’s official FIA press conference Kaltenborn said: “To take up a new driver is always a strategic decision where many factors play a role. Kamui has been with us for the last three years. He’s a very good driver, he is an excellent team player and actually a very fine human being so it’s tough to take such a decision.

“I think if a driver deserves to be in Formula One he’s definitely one of them and I hope he can get support from Japanese companies – because Japan is an important market for Formula One – and stay in the sport,” she concluded.

As well as elevating Gutierrez to a race seat Sauber also announced that 2012 Formula Renault 3.5 champion Robin Frijns will become the team’s test driver.

Source: FIA
View the Post on the Blog

I'm extremely sadden by the news that Kamui will probably be out of a drive for 2013.

He's the only reason why I follow Sauber and well, there's really no point in me continuing support for them next year. I hope this move works for Sauber and doesn't blow up in their face, shame to see money rather then talent play a big factor in F1 nowadays. Worked on the development of the car for the past 3 years where it's now a real competitive car then gets the book, seems harsh.

Hmm Gutierrez and Perez are in F1, two Mexicans, I have a hunch Bernie will run to get the Mexican Grand Prix on the calendar ASAP! Maybe even before New Jersey xD

Devastating for Kobayashi, but another indictment of F1 - talent means less than funding, as it always has of course.

I'd like to think that maybe Toyota could set Kamui up with a nice wee summer job...? He'd stand an excellent chance of becoming a national hero should the cards fall in his direction

Devastating for Kobayashi, but another indictment of F1 - talent means less than funding, as it always has of course.

I'd like to think that maybe Toyota could set Kamui up with a nice wee summer job...? He'd stand an excellent chance of becoming a national hero should the cards fall in his direction
nico, perez and gutierrez have a lot of talent. just try to find out their accomplishments before judging young mexican drivers-

kamui is good, but he is older than the 2 mexicans and nico-

money helped too. but they are not like narin kartikeyan or pedro

dont get confussed

Nah, it's all about the money, especially as Sauber are hard pressed for funding at the moment. Real shame that we're even having to discuss drivers paying for seats, because to my mind that is contrary to the entire premise of racing.

Good luck to Kobayashi, he deserves better.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back