Samsung G9 Neo 49" 1000R Monitor 2021

Mr Latte

Premium
Details for the new 2021 Mini LED variant of last years G9 are appearing.
Teaser references July 29th

The primary benefits seem to be it will have a substantial increase in potential brightness and the number of dimming zones which should equate to offering much better HDR performance.

Rumours of RRP prices being £1600 /$1700
Id expect them possibly to be lower. considering the previous models being replaced did not differ that much when it moved from 1080p - 1440p.

More info and links to follow.

"In 2020, the Odyssey G9 gaming monitor generated a lot of buzz—this year, Samsung is leveling up the experience with a Quantum MiniLED display and premium gaming features. The 1000R screen curvature, combined with Quantum MiniLED display technology, gives gamers an experience unlike any other. The new G9 joins Samsung’s full lineup of curved and flat Odyssey gaming monitors."

1) Samsung Newsroom

Last edited:
iGN got to test out the monitor, not very technical report but available HERE

They mention ordering available July 29th for $2,499 with stocks expected in approx August. Samsung via their own website is to offer a deal with JBL headphones but this may be a regional or limited offer.

I do not believe this will sell that well if it releases at @£1800+ regardless of having twice the claimed brightness. We really need to see how well it performs with HDR content compared to TVs.

Includes
2x HDMI 2.1 inputs
1x Display Port
3 Additional buttons underneath display (likely quick access to screen profiles?)

Preset Buttons?

No longer 2x Display Port with a Single HDMI but but instead 2x HDMI 2.1 with a single Display Port

Last edited:
Videos above relate to this first REALLY detailed review I found HERE
Seems to be a winner based on what is already a superb monitor but perhaps most will wait for the price to drop a bit before considering?

Last edited:
This is tempting, except for the price, but right now we're living in a world in which all of the most desirable tech is both overpriced and unavailable anyway. :rolleyes:

I'm looking to get a new monitor, which is currently a 55" OLED (my living room wants it back). It's beautiful, but capped at 60 Hz.

One thought about it is that the G9 is 20% wider (in pixels, so not very much), but only 67% as tall (in pixels), with about 11% fewer pixels over-all. Just considering the size and resolution, it's not vastly different than say an LG 48" OLED.

I guess some would be excited by the curve, which in supported games might present the side-views on track a little better. However, my initial reaction is "this is a almost a single-purpose monitor, e.g. for driving+flying games, and generally worse than a (truly) flat panel at almost everything else."

So, ignoring all the many other differences (brightness, etc.), wouldn't something like a 48" or 55" OLED give you about the same horizontal field of view but better vertical field of view, while coming in a more conventional and versatile form-factor?

• Deleted member 197115

"this is a almost a single-purpose monitor, e.g. for driving+flying games, and generally worse than a (truly) flat panel at almost everything else."
Not almost, it is exactly single-purpose monitor meant to be permanently bolted to sim rig.
2020 LG OLED TVs can do 40-120hz VRR (FreeSync) over HDMI 2.1 with 3000 NVidia series cards.
And it works brilliantly with RTX 3080 and LG CX.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Deleted member 197115

I saw the commercial of this Samsung. they have some kind of zoom off to increase the FOV.
Do you happen to have a link, is it some distortion correction SW or FW. These ultrawide can definitely benefit from something like this as edges stretching on 3D content is a real problem.

• Deleted member 197115

With Samsung plans to abandon LCD by the end of 2021, it is probably the last monitor from them based on this technology.
Comparing to original G9 it's too little too late esp. considering steep price jump.

Something of this or better yet 21:9 format based on the new technologies (OLED or microLED) would be more interesting. Next year perhaps.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back