rF2 S397 GT3 @ Spa-Francorchamps - Fri 27 Nov 2020

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
.....what about me?!

I was about to answer you, then my phone rang! :)

Don't seem to be able to keep it together at raidillon, but too hard to pass up, please sign me up!

My first race on rf2...I was able to log on to the practice server successfully. However, are there any other first timer tips I need to be aware of to race smoothly this friday? (eg not knowing to press a certain button to go on to next session, not knowing there is a pit limiter, etc etc) Anything you guys can think of would be great!

Cheers

You don't need to press any buttons to go to next session or anything. However, when the server moves from Warm Up to Race. You have 1 minute to press "race" to get on to the grid. If you don't press race within than minute, you will start from pit-lane, waiting for the red light to turn green on pit exit. It's not like some other games where the timer runs down and then puts you on the grid. Here you need to press "race" to join the grid.
We will also do a formation lap and a rolling start. We have turned off the Safety Car (as that can cause some issues). So the polesitter will dictate the speed on the formation lap. That tends to be a bit faster than the Safety Car, but should not be done too fast. After all, it's to get us in to formation.
Also. Do not pass anyone before the start/finish line.

When you start in practice/qual/warm up sessions, you need to turn on the pit-limiter manually (and then turn it off again when you pass the pit exit line), even though you drive from the garage, the pit-limiter is not automagically on.
While soft tyres and fuel, like Jan said, will last a race. If you for some reason should need a pit-stop. You again need to manually turn on and off the limiter when entering and exiting. However, opposed to e.g AC:C, here in rF2 you can turn the limiter on when in a gear higher than 1st. You can also shift gears etc. in the pit-lane without the speed limiter disengaging :)

If you for some reason get a drive through or stop and go in practice/qual/warm-up (like, if you forget your speed limiter). This will not carry on to the race session. Also, if you get it in qualifying. You don't need to serve it. You will get counting laptimes, even if you have a penalty looming over your head.

Other than that, I tend to give a reminder on stuff (like the formation lap, and caution in to T1 etc.) in the warm-up session. If anything happens, it's an advantage being on Discord. We have waited (restarted warm-up session) in some situations when people have had a game crash and told me on Discord. However, if a driver is not on Discord, or not saying anything while being on Discord. I will consider "left the game" as a "oh, something happened and I have to leave, bye!" Not as a "game crashed, please wait 2 min".

We will in 99.99% of the cases not restart a race due to a start incident either. If something happens, the damage should be set low enough that you can just keep on racing, and it's better to file an incident report post-race :)

Usually the only reason to restart is if something happens with the rolling start (like in our Nürburgring GP race, we suddenly never got the green flag). Then we restart with a standing start.

Any specific questions? Bring'em on!

And of course, you are in the race!! :)

I was about to answer you, then my phone rang! :)

You don't need to press any buttons to go to next session or anything. However, when the server moves from Warm Up to Race. You have 1 minute to press "race" to get on to the grid. If you don't press race within than minute, you will start from pit-lane, waiting for the red light to turn green on pit exit. It's not like some other games where the timer runs down and then puts you on the grid. Here you need to press "race" to join the grid.
We will also do a formation lap and a rolling start. We have turned off the Safety Car (as that can cause some issues). So the polesitter will dictate the speed on the formation lap. That tends to be a bit faster than the Safety Car, but should not be done too fast. After all, it's to get us in to formation.
Also. Do not pass anyone before the start/finish line.

When you start in practice/qual/warm up sessions, you need to turn on the pit-limiter manually (and then turn it off again when you pass the pit exit line), even though you drive from the garage, the pit-limiter is not automagically on.
While soft tyres and fuel, like Jan said, will last a race. If you for some reason should need a pit-stop. You again need to manually turn on and off the limiter when entering and exiting. However, opposed to e.g AC:C, here in rF2 you can turn the limiter on when in a gear higher than 1st. You can also shift gears etc. in the pit-lane without the speed limiter disengaging :)

If you for some reason get a drive through or stop and go in practice/qual/warm-up (like, if you forget your speed limiter). This will not carry on to the race session. Also, if you get it in qualifying. You don't need to serve it. You will get counting laptimes, even if you have a penalty looming over your head.

Other than that, I tend to give a reminder on stuff (like the formation lap, and caution in to T1 etc.) in the warm-up session. If anything happens, it's an advantage being on Discord. We have waited (restarted warm-up session) in some situations when people have had a game crash and told me on Discord. However, if a driver is not on Discord, or not saying anything while being on Discord. I will consider "left the game" as a "oh, something happened and I have to leave, bye!" Not as a "game crashed, please wait 2 min".

We will in 99.99% of the cases not restart a race due to a start incident either. If something happens, the damage should be set low enough that you can just keep on racing, and it's better to file an incident report post-race :)

Usually the only reason to restart is if something happens with the rolling start (like in our Nürburgring GP race, we suddenly never got the green flag). Then we restart with a standing start.

Any specific questions? Bring'em on!

And of course, you are in the race!! :)

Thanks mate, this was EXACTLY what I was looking for....should be a sticky in the forums!

That's a lot of info I hope it works out! You mentioned damage................there's damage? I normally race on the AC club races, and that doesnt exist :rolleyes:. Should I expect full flag rules, damage and mech failures? It's like I suddenly turned up the realism setting...to Real.

Cheers!

Thanks mate, this was EXACTLY what I was looking for....should be a sticky in the forums!

That's a lot of info I hope it works out! You mentioned damage................there's damage? I normally race on the AC club races, and that doesnt exist :rolleyes:. Should I expect full flag rules, damage and mech failures? It's like I suddenly turned up the realism setting...to Real.

Cheers!

It's a bit of info, but in reality: Remember to activate and deactivate speed limiter. Most importantly, remember that you need to press race to actually race. The rest will go automagically for you. Unless you qualify 1st or 2nd the formation lap is pretty much "follow the guy ahead". You'll also have a big text-box in the middle of your screen saying "Fomation Lap. Stay behind *name* in left/right lane" :)

You should respect yellow and blue flags. You won't get penalized for not doing it. But you should. If you cause an accident in yellows, and someone reports it. It's just an additional negative. In GT3 races you should follow the "F1" blue flag rules, by letting the ones lapping you by. If you participate in our LMP&GT multiclass then it's slightly different due to the multiclass aspect (if you enter one of those races, I'll explain then!).

Damage is set to very low (possibly a bit too low, but it's a club race after all). Unless you run the engine way to hot (so it smokes) or put the car in 1st instead of 6th, you shouldn't have mech.failures :) I don't think you'll be able to damage you car to the point of it becoming undrivable either :)

It's like I suddenly turned up the realism setting...to Real.
In my first rF2 club race I destroyed my engine due to revving too high during a pit stop.. Oil Temp went too high.
Next race I couldn't leave the pits. I shut off my engine somehow and had no button assigned to start it back up.. That hurt a lot!

Then the next race was super awesome, multiclass. I was in the faster lmp2 and had to dodge quite a lot of GTEs that were battling. Had to serve 2 drive through's and a stop&go for track limits haha.

But it's very nice to have all this stuff! :)

This is great info guys, thanks for helping out a noob! I'll make sure to get my buttons assigned. Although I have experienced a couple times during practice where my wheel just kind of disconnects....I really hope it doesn't happen Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to battle a bit in the back and not drive a lonely race in P30! See you

This is great info guys, thanks for helping out a noob! I'll make sure to get my buttons assigned. Although I have experienced a couple times during practice where my wheel just kind of disconnects....I really hope it doesn't happen Friday. Hopefully I'll be able to battle a bit in the back and not drive a lonely race in P30! See you
Does it only happen in rF2 or all sims?
There are a few things to set in the json files like ffb being a separate cpu thread, reset ffb (that's a button), maybe some more to find if it's only happening in rF2!

Does it only happen in rF2 or all sims?
There are a few things to set in the json files like ffb being a separate cpu thread, reset ffb (that's a button), maybe some more to find if it's only happening in rF2!
Oh goodness ...I did not know these exist. And yes, it happens ONLY in rF2!

And yes, I have had the ffb fail as well now that you mention it....also had the wheel discon/reconnect, causing me to suddenly be in neutral at 200kph...please tell me I'm not the only one!

If you could point me towards a guide of some sort to make my experience better that would be great!

There should be some sort of sticky post with this goldmine of info, for all those unlucky few who didn't know otherwise! :thumbsup:

I guess the main issue is to identify what might be an issue for people.

I've been using rF1 and rF2 since 2005... so for me everything is logical and how it should be. I just wrote down what I remembered being the differences from my 2 ACC races and rF2. And also remembered that once a new club-racer didn't press "race" :)

hi, can someone help I have trouble connecting to the server I get the error message "Package Not Available"? I have all the right packages? .. Please help :)

hi, can someone help I have trouble connecting to the server I get the error message "Package Not Available"? I have all the right packages? .. Please help :)

Then you are missing one or more DLC's.
Most likely this is either Spa or the Ferrari. While you get 12 GT3 cars in the GT3 Pack, you also need to buy the Ferrari, which isn't included in the GT3 Pack.

Yeah I didn't that once too.. Luckily Daiman convinced everyone to do a restart for me :whistling:

Well, I was doing my (so far) last AC:C race, endurance at Paul Ricard, we were fighting for podium in the Am-class. Was going to pit, slowed down, put on the speed limiter, and went on the throttle. Speeding like a madman! 30 sec S&G.
I didn't know the limiter didn't activate when in 2nd gear... Also didn't know it disengaged if I changed gear. Oups.
Luckily, in the end it wasn't me that threw away the podium :ninja:

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea