S14 - General Discussion

hey guys,
sry you havent heard from me in quite a long time.
since my last update there actually happened quite a lot.
i finally have working internet again (most of the time at least) and that allows me to race.

but i am afraid i still wont race in the upcoming season in the league. main reason for that is the fact that rfactor 2 does not have rift support. i now own the rift for quite a few months and have played lfs, project cars, assetto corsa and lately iracing with it. at this point i cant go back to a single screen and race on it. its not as satisfying and feels wrong to go back to a monitor. although the device isnt as polished as it will be once it will be released this year and it has some major drawbacks in its current state like resolution and comfort, its still a completely different experience compared to a monitor.

it is possible to get rf2 working with some plugins and 3rd party software but its has some problems which doesnt make it a viable option for proper league and onlineracing in general. so as i am now spoiled for monitor racing i think i might not come back until rf2 adds official support.

"We will support Oculus Rift. We have done work on it, we're hoping to do it soon, but might not (waiting for consumer versions). This is the status." -Tim Wheatly ISI

i will still (just as i do now) log in here from time to time and follow the league and how things work out with the new platform. i personally think the move to rf2 is the right way to go.

in the meantime i will probably play some more iracing as that game gives me the opportunity to enjoy proper multiplayer racing without switching to a new league.

i hope you understand my reasoning, although it would be much easier to understand if you tried the rift yourself. if someone of you is in germany near frankfurt in the future and wants to try it out. i would be happy to show it to you. (beer included)

greetings
julius

Have you tried the plugin and oculus with rf2 Julius to see what its like ? It might be good enough now or not but there is a thread on isiforums about it.

I think oculus rift maybe the future of all gaming maybe even POV movies lol but think it will need to be dual 4k resolutions before it starts to look really great, mobile company's not far off 4k phones so hopefully future of oculus will be that or even higher. I'm hoping as I cannot live with jaggies lol

I just got new set of 144hz 24"s for simrig and a 4k 28" all with gsync pretty cool stuff, for smooth no lag no tearing etc, and have option of using 3d as well although I don't like 3d movies etc I think for true 3d I'll have to wait for oculus rift to do it.

Here are some of my ideas/thought for race format for next season with rF2 :
- qual between 5 and 10 minutes long. If I'm right, unless Race07, it does not end when the timer is at 00:00 but continues until the last driver passes the finish line, so there's virtually more time in comparison to Race07 with the same timer.
- race 60 minutes long. According to my tests, we can't drive 65 minutes race on tracks like Spa with a full tank and without refilling (I can last about 62 minutes sure, but definitely not 65)
- parc ferme so we don't loose time in making a qual specific setup. It'll spice the challenge when wet qual/dry race and vice versa, when we'll be ready for wet conditions
- not sure about formation lap, it requires some training, and maybe prevent us to make practice starts as we used to make, but it's fun. It can also be a replacement for the warm up..

What do you think?

Great post Nic and a good way to kick off the discussion for the new seasons settings.

1. The qualifying format, with rf2 we can have it set to anything we like really, we could have it 7 mins and finish when the timer hits 0 like r07, or we could have it like you say that people get to finish their laps regardless of time. I'm up for either way on this, If I really had to choose I'd go with 7 mins like r07 purely because its what everyone knows.

2. Thats a good point,I'd be fine with 60-62 minute races, we could always add the 3-5 mins somewhere else if really need be i.e qual or warmup.

3. Parc ferme is another good mention, I think if we use parc ferme and have a 7-10 mins open qual session then everyone gets more used to their race setup, which can only be a good thing.

4. formation lap needs to be looked into for like you say, if it compromises our 3 practise starts, if their possible at all, which i think they are as you can reorder the grid between sessions still? I myself do enjoy the formation lap but thinking of fuel levels an extra laps worth at each race when we might already be cutting it close to max capacity? We need to look into this.

I've got my mitts on a Rift DK2 also, though I've had to make compromises coming back to racing on a monitor. But to be honest, what helps is sketchy support in most other sims. Assetto Corsa for instance you lose all menus, so you can't load setups, add fuel, manage pit stops, etc. Which will probably be an inevitable DNF in a Presto race. And that's been like that for a long time now :p

In rF2 I've taken to racing from hood cameras in tin tops instead. The open top nature of the FR3.5 makes life in the cockpit cam easier though IMO. There's a thread on the ISI forums about 3rd party Rift solutions for rF2. But when I tried it I discovered it only works with the DK1. So the distortions are wrong for the DK2, and the entire world looks like it's twisting and bending as you drive. It's subtle, but that just makes it all the more nauseating. We really need official support for that. I don't understand ISI's stance on it. Get it sorted now, and you'll be as close as possible to full support on day 1.

Definitely not the future of all video games. Some existing games don't adapt well to it. But definitely the future of sim racing. And it'll be a good future. :)

It reminds me a lot of the switch from 2D to 3D games in the early 90s. There was a period when people were still figuring out how to make fun 3D games. Some would have never worked before like Doom, some stopped being fun like Lemmings 3D, and some changed significantly to adapt like Mario. And we're pretty much in the same place with VR; figuring out what works and what doesn't. Sim racing most definitely works though once the UI's properly adapted.

Interesting points. I feel a bit lost - what is the meaning of parc ferme? Is the ~60 min limit for only one pitstop or none at all? Are we aiming for a pure F1 rule of no fuling allowed?

parc ferme is when qualifying setup is locked, i think in full parc ferme rules only fuel and 1 or 2 other options are allowed to be changed after the qual session, if we used full parc ferme then it forces people to use a race setup with qualifying fuel, it would hopefully help everyone be more used to driving the car with 1 setup as apposed to swapping around and making pure qualifying setups.

the race limit i'll let someone with better understanding of tyres explain, how many stops would we need during 60 mins on the least tyre wearing track, if its 1 or 2 then perfect, if its 1 then good, if its 0 then not so, i think if we try match r07 in that for high wear tracks it could be 1-2 stops, for low wear, 1 stop at least, i think if we managed to complete race distances with no refueling and no stops then we need to look at how long races are or the tyre multiplyer, we'lll get to that though.

for now could dino, nic or anyone explain the tyre wear and how it will affect pit stops in a 60 mins race, we want roughly the same where a mix of strategies could be best.

Does anyone else feel like Rfactor2 is like dancing on ice? I am all over the place and the more I practice the worse it gets. Best I have managed round Melbourne is 1:46 and that was after around 90 laps practice. If this continues I will not be joining season 14. I just don't enjoy it.

Does anyone else feel like Rfactor2 is like dancing on ice? I am all over the place and the more I practice the worse it gets. Best I have managed round Melbourne is 1:46 and that was after around 90 laps practice. If this continues I will not be joining season 14. I just don't enjoy it.
Bob, i felt like that at first. I'm sure its just about settings, %brake %throttle, downforce package, or anything else that, unfortunatly, needs to be done right for getting a good feeling of the game.

I know how you feel, i just don't know where you miss adjustment, but once you'll get it right, you'll find the grip and lap times will go down.

Have you followed David's links for setting up your stuff? http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/prestogp-rfactor-2-guide-rf2-explained.95492/

Took me a bit of time but now i can feel the car.

for now could dino, nic or anyone explain the tyre wear and how it will affect pit stops in a 60 mins race, we want roughly the same where a mix of strategies could be best.

First thing regardless of wear and similar stuff. Everythig regarding refueling shoudn't be there in the FR mod, which also leads to it beeing bugged in many ways if you do it.
There even is now the +0litres setting activated in the default setup which ensures that you don't get filled up when doing a pitstop. That was a workaround on the FR 2010 version to not get fueled up when stopping, now it's even in the default setup instead of fixing the bug :laugh:.
For example: If you set a refueling stop and need to do another pitstop in the race (an unsheduled repair stop for example) you get double screwed by also getting fueled up again.
I hope we simply forget about refueling here, I certainly will :)

Regarding tirewear: On some of the tracks I did 45min races now, 60mins without pitstops would have maybe worked too, but it is certainly stretching the tires to or over the max on some tracks, depending on which track. You're standing for about 8 seconds for new tires btw.
I remember some tracks were I hadn't have much left anymore after 45min too. It would be nice to have something where some tiresaving could also get you something in return; everything I drove on the last 2 or so years was push and forget.

60min is pretty much the maximum on race-length indeed. Silverstone for example was good for something like 60min + 1 lap if I remember correctly.

edit: Ah yes, I hope we have atleast a 10min q session.

Last edited:

Latest News

What would make you race in our Club events

• Special events

Votes: 62 29.7%
  • More leagues

Votes: 40 19.1%
  • Prizes

Votes: 43 20.6%
  • Trophies

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • Forum trophies