AC Rookies: Mazda MX5 Cup (Live Stream) @ Highlands Short - Friday 21 April 2017

Assetto Corsa Racing Club event
Awesome racing guys, I wasn't last for once :D hopefully I can tame that car one day, I seem to spin out very easily, Yohann I wish I'd let you past sooner, it's so helpful having a fast person to follow :D

Well that was surprisingly good fun guys, nice one!

Had a great (and actually rather clean) race to finish in P4, with some great fights and driving with plenty of people. Really really enjoyed it, but never want to race that track again :roflmao:

Oh and the TeamSpeak chat was hilarious! Love it :)

Guys, don't forget next time round we at Zandvooort so get yourself signed up nice and quickly for some good racing fun :) http://www.racedepartment.com/threa...ort-friday-28-april-2017.134911/#post-2458874

Cheers everyone, great evening !

Sorry for being a bit of grumpy git but I really feel the Rookie Race is missing the point. I asked to be on server 2 hoping for more company with less highly skilled and competetive drivers. I was moved up to S1 without notice and not moved back even when I asked.
What am I suppose to learn and have fun with when the server is 10 really skilled and very fast drivers, next 10 are almost as skilled and fast leaving the reminding 2-4 drivers just trying to survive... That is, me watching the mirror trying to get out of the way for the first 20 drivers. I did pit at one point almost leaving for what was I suppose to do out there other than be in the way?

If this is aimed for the rookies you are missing the target by a huge margin, as I stated before and also during the race; I see no reason to pit really skilled drivers in the same race as unskilled, I can't believe they enjoy trying to avoid backmarkers all the time.

On the plus side: the chat was way better this time, thank you

Well, define rookie. Until last week, I hadn't driven a car using the clutch and h-shifter for any length of time before and saw the rookie events as a good place to learn and practice driving with other people in a more relaxed setting than the normal club events. I did the 500 event and gained heaps of confidence using the h-shifter, so I signed up for this MX-5 race to try what I had learned in a faster car. It has helped me immensely with my confidence and competency in such a car which, even though I drive a proper manual IRL, I previously seriously struggled with in a sim.

Really, I think the track was....not the best for a rookie event. Too short, which meant as soon as gaps developed we all started tripping over eachother. Quali was a bit of a nightmare too, with it being nigh impossible to find free space to run a lap.

In the end, we are all there to learn different things from each other. Having good raw pace shouldn't exclude people (I don't even know how I did so well, answers on a postcard) because while they may appear faster and in control, they may be lacking confidence or ability in an area that isn't immediately apparent, like my previous total lack of confidence using the h-shifter. I still can't fathom how to heel and toe, though...

Yep, maybe it is a good ideea to do some sorting. But this will be very hard to acomplish on admin side. Maybe if the server 2 will be "at request". One the other side, Zandvoort it is a "little" longer and clearly much easier to let frontrunner to pass.
The race in server 2 was great. Some good fights, a lot of place changes and of course some mistakes. And I heard A LOT of "thank you" during the race.

Well, define rookie. Until last week, I hadn't driven a car using the clutch and h-shifter for any length of time before and saw the rookie events as a good place to learn and practice driving with other people in a more relaxed setting than the normal club events. I did the 500 event and gained heaps of confidence using the h-shifter, so I signed up for this MX-5 race to try what I had learned in a faster car. It has helped me immensely with my confidence and competency in such a car which, even though I drive a proper manual IRL, I previously seriously struggled with in a sim.

In the end, we are all there to learn different things from each other. Having good raw pace shouldn't exclude people (I don't even know how I did so well, answers on a postcard) because while they may appear faster and in control, they may be lacking confidence or ability in an area that isn't immediately apparent, like my previous total lack of confidence using the h-shifter. I still can't fathom how to heel and toe, though...

Good for you Scott, I really mean it. What defines a rookie you ask, that is a very good question. In my opinion, which is my very own personal, a rookie is someone who do not have the skills that a veteran person has.
This can have several reasons and I do not make the assumption that I know them all or indeed, is in all things correct.
Seldom have a rookie remotely the same time invested in what ever they are into, which is often forgotten. by those who do.
I rediscovered racing just before new year after fifteen years of absence and I signed up to RD to help me with getting my skill up and having fun whole doing so. For most part I enjoyed every thing I signed up for except lately in the rookie races and also I must admit, a change in attitude in not a small part of the community (I will come to this later).

Just a few a thoughts about rookie and improving;
Skill takes time and practice best achieved with even to a certain amount higher skilled opponents.
While filling the the grid almost to the full with veteran players is not ideal with regard with my comment above.
The "certain amount higher" shouldn't be a steep mounting climb while trying not to fall to your death.
Rookie races should be perfect the rookie, no pressure, veterans who know how to take corners not loosing exit speed, oversee your limitations, not being elitist and frowning upon the rookie. Unfortunately it's flawed; the pressure from veterans is there to get out of the way and if not an overtake will be done whether the rookie can handle it or not, squeezed into the wall or even nudged out of the way.

About being elitist, I know its not meant to be and for most part it isn't but there was not to long ago one said in TS: "Why is there such a difference in laptimes? Oh it's a rookie!?"
I know he did not intend to be degrading but the comment was and it surely didn't do me any favors trying to nail a time not to be ashamed of. Especially as this was a rookie race with a good hour left of the event left, think how the rest of that hour felt. Words hurt and you never really grow out of it, sadly.

There is a constant pressure from the faster drivers to get out of the way, there is no real meaning denying that. They can with their skill take tighter and faster corners than most rookies can, a rookie know that, I know that... Trying to to avoid being in the way makes me try to much and I make mistakes that not only effects myself but everyone else. So trying to please gets counter productive, there is no good outcome for the rookie being put under pressure; either he's a dick for not moving when you come or and idiot who can't handle the car and f-ng up your race. Or both.
Give the rookies more room and larger margine of error, your already faster so there is no doubt you will pass.

So there is some things that I think should justify the servers more divided, for the fun for all of us.

I noticed that I cannot access the paddock and since I am a premium member I can only assume that I am under review for one or more incidients yesterday. I have no problem with constructive critisism or being reviewed and my flaws and wrongdoings out in the open, on the contrary; knowing what went wrong is a way to improve and learn to do right.
I felt the entire race yesterday was an incident from start to finish, from manouvering through the crash in the first to the third bends to the end. Whatever problem I caused I apologise, I never intentionally cause and incidient. If you said something in TS, I missed it. If you wrote in the in-game chat I missed it, I dont have that window open. I have not recieved a PM from anyone who wants to discuss an incident either.
As i haven't saved my replays so far I cannot rewind to see the race from different angles afterwards.

Last edited:
Hello guys,
I shall say that yesterday I had fun until the start of the race.
This is what happened after 5 minutes.

After that I had not anymore willing to race but I continued to honour the event.
I do not blame anyone, just the fate but it really frustrating. and for the first time I was really pissed off with myself.
This happen in every race and I don't now where is my part of error and how can I avoid it.

I have just a question: who of us is driving slower when we see a yellow flag?
See you next time!
:laugh:

@Lars Rystedt im sorry I missed your request to be moved back to server 2 :redface:
Just to let you know both server were full off overtakes by the sounds of it, i know from my own experience it was a bit scary at times.
Some of the drivers on server 2 were not patient at all in trying to get by the slower drivers. (me being on of them.)
there is a way to overtake a car maybe they need to learn this, not just flashing their lights(which you are not supposed to do anyway). Where i am supposed to go, you have to pull out and initiate a overtake then i can oblige by lifting of the gas to help you by. trying to dive bomb me into a corners is not the way!!
Lars I will ask in the staff section as to why you can access the Paddock, but they is nothing pending as far as a race incident that i can see in your name. :) and even that would not stop you being able to view the paddock. You have to be premium that's all, which you are.
you do have to be logged in RD to view that section though.

@Footwork84
I agree with you, when a yellow flag pops on your screen that means no overtaking and caution must be used,
this is something we must all work on and obay in the whole of RD.
I myself lifted for a incident only to be overtaken by a guy who did not lift or hold position. and he drove straight into the accident himself.
Now as for what you could do better. ( i know hindsight or someone saying do this or that can seem harsh its not meant to)
There was a car on your inside, you can see this in the device used on screen, you have to be more aware of who is around you when going into a corner or bend. you must give room for a car on the inside, you made a mistake its not the end of the world.
after the spin you got your car turned around,ok, but then you need to check and look in the mirrors before setting of again. Your wheel was not centered and you moved into the racing line at a slow speed, more accidents, if anything you should of moved to the right not left.. please don't think i am having a go at you im not. just trying to give advice from a staff prospective. Now the guys racing should also of lifted a little also. So if they did not they are also at fault,

This track was always going to be tricky, many spins and crashed were caused by guys driving to fast and crashing, drivers need to slow down, putting in one fast lap may work but you have to be able to drive laps consistently,I often finish higher up the board than my times would represent due to driving this way.

Any track can be driven if drivers drive it accordingly, what some forget about is that in a race you can't drive it the same as if you where on your own hot lapping. Having a car in front of you makes it so much trickier. harder to see you breaking points harder to see the view in front so slow it down a bit. don't sit right on the guy bumper in front of you. give him a bit of room which also gives you a bit of room.. errors will always happen that's racing, but this is club racing, fun should be foremost not the position..

Thank you @Rupe Wilson for your perspective.
As I said I don't blame anybody except myself, as my purpose was to have fun all together instead of screaming through the blue flags!
Of course, if my little contribute can help the community I am happy for it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back