Rig recommendations for racing and flight sim

Hi guys,

Recent lurker and first time poster here. I’m in Australia and am progressing through my private pilot licence at the moment. I am using Xplane and PilotEdge for radio comms and instrument awareness. Also a long time gamer who absolutely loves racing titles.

I discovered the forum when looking at setups for race/flight sims. I am looking at building up a rig that would be able to handle both racing and flight sims.

Does anyone use their rig for race and flight? It doesn’t seem to be a topic that is covered a lot, so figured I would ask the question.

Obviously the depth or degree of movement is not as critical for racing titles, but for flight that additional depth on actuators is going to be very beneficial.

I was considering a ProSimu 1000 with 3/4 DOF as they have a decent amount of depth on the actuators. There may be much better solutions though that I have not considered.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

That looks good for a flight sim, but for racing it looks a little over the top!

Over the top or just wiggly and without enough support for solid brakes and a DD motor. There is no way a system like that could support premium controls.

I think there is a reason that there are so many people using 4 DOF systems right now with 1.5 - 3" of travel. Most serious car racing sim systems require a very rigid frame and have some weight on them.

Upvote 0
@Tronicgr_6DOF I did want to add that I think what you have achieved is remarkable.

Creating inexpensive control boards that allow people to use Open Source software to controller a wide variety relatively inexpensive actuators is a big deal.

A decade ago systems like many that you shared in this thread would only be possible for extremely expensive simulators used by airlines, the military and other well funded companies.

Sure I might feel that I would need a 3-4 foot deep pit in my basement or the space to build a deck around one to make it more convenient, but the fact remains this is very cool stuff.

@pt-actuator your actuators look like great building blocks to help people build their dream motion systems.

I just want both of you to know I appreciate your efforts.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it would do wonders for my resale value... LOL!

It seems like there are a lot of passionate people working on these systems, so I'm sure you will continue to make progress that will be fun to watch.

https://www.google.com/search?q=low...XepZ7QCQ&bih=627&biw=375#imgrc=35AT6RqZoRF28M
search

You can lower the profile by enlarge the coverage area. I bet your resale value would be higher if this baby is in your basement,,,,lol

Upvote 0

Latest News

What would be the ideal raceday for you to join our Club Races?

• Monday

Votes: 35 15.2%
  • Tuesday

Votes: 28 12.2%
  • Wednesday

Votes: 31 13.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 30 13.0%
  • Friday

Votes: 79 34.3%
  • Saturday

Votes: 132 57.4%