ridiculous adverts

Discussion in 'Site Feedback & Support' started by Chris Kennedy, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Chris Kennedy

Chris Kennedy

Ratings:
    +430
    I'm happy to disable adblock to support this site, the auto playing video add that sometimes aren't even muted are pretty annoying, but this is ridiculous, I expect this from a torrent site but surely you can get your ads from a less malicious source
    Screenshot_2015-01-30-22-14-57.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  2. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,405
    Totally agree, will check out where this comes from! Thanks for the headsup, ill keep you posted.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Betta Lines

Betta Lines

Ratings:
    +27
    I have a slightly different comment about ads - the ones that contain video on this site appear to severely slow down my browser (Firefox). If I leave this forum open in a tab, soon enough everything else starts to chug. YouTube videos, iPlayer, etc. It doesn't happen every time, but I'm sure it is always this site causing the slow-down (i.e. when it does happen, I close this tab and everything is smooth again).

4. Andrew

Andrew
    Out of my mind! Back in five minutes. Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +2,963
    I had the same. What helped was: go to plugins, and stop the flashplayer to be loaded everytime you start Firefox.

5. Betta Lines

Betta Lines

Ratings:
    +27
    Doesn't that stop the ads from playing altogether?

6. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,405
    @Chris Kennedy just checking in to see if this message has returned? Seems that even google as has issues with advertisers as you aren't the only one reporting this. Google product forums have a sticky about re-directs. Pretty shameful if you ask me.

7. mr_belowski

mr_belowski

Ratings:
    +70
    Getting equally scummy adverts today - something shouting about winning a prize (primark, apparently). Incredibly intrusive, can't get rid of it easily, makes the site dodgy

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. dud

dud
    Premium

Ratings:
    +66
    Flash should probably be uninstalled anyway for security reasons. Is there any legitimate website left using Flash?

If you want to see the ads uninstalling Flash won't affect it. You'll just get a none-Flash ad instead.

9. RMR1

RMR1
    Rainer Maria Rosemaier Premium

Ratings:
    +142
  10. Willy Wale

Willy Wale

Ratings:
    +30
    My phone browser is now automatically jumping down to the annoying autoplay ads. Even when I scroll away it jumps back to the ad.

11. Willy Wale

Willy Wale

Ratings:
    +30
    And another one.
    Screenshot_20180212-220556.png

12. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,405
    How about now @Willy Wale ? We have switched providers and ads should be a lot more targeted to our motorsport, simracing and car niche.

13. Willy Wale

Willy Wale

Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks for the action I'll give it a day or so. See what happens.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Willy Wale

Willy Wale

Ratings:
    +30
    More than a day or so, but pleased to report no malicious adverts encountered since your change.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ears

ears
    Premium

Ratings:
    +270
    Well, I thought I was the only one getting a bit bored of sim racing, but I guess that's not the case, if this ad is specifically targeted at motorsport, simracing and car niche.

ad1.jpg

And, well, this says a lot about the marketing companies' assessment of the fans of motorsport, simracing and car niche if they feel this is appropriate for fans / users of the genre.
    ad2.jpg

• Haha Haha x 2
  16. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,405
    No network will give you 100% targeted ads @ears . But please take into account that most networks serve ads based on your own search results on the web and your preferences set in your google cookie https://adssettings.google.com/

I have been seeing tons and tons of cool looking automotive ads this week, audi, kia, landrover and such.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ears

ears
    Premium

Ratings:
    +270
    You should join premium. I heard they don't see the ads at all!

18. Andy_J

Andy_J
    PC Veteran Gamer and Biker.

Ratings:
    +3,413
    That is true. For some I suppose. I don't see or get any adverts at all on Racedepartment.
    ps, any luck with the Asian dating site mate? I might give it a go myself. ;):D:whistling:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    • Haha Haha x 2
  19. protonv5

protonv5

Ratings:
    +102
    Uh, site is completely wrecked with ads now. Soooo, uh, bye

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. Andy_J

Andy_J
    PC Veteran Gamer and Biker.

Ratings: