rFactor 2 track technology notes released

BTB can still be used to design the track but it does require a 3ds Max to finalize it.. The amount of new features are quite impressive, i've been waiting for dynamic content. Also the billboarding makes a "comeback", don't understand why it wasn't used before. The new texture maps are going to be a pain in the behind but sounds very promising. And the fact that tracks aren't anymore detailed enough for the physics engine gives nice future promises that tracks can get even more autenthic when processing power increases across the field. It is quite the opposite now. Just thinking about quadrupling or even octupling the road mesh tris makes me salivate...

Though I work for RBR, I'm collecting experiences how to make tracks in BTB to use them (and convert) in Max. It's because BTB is great as first phase - making good road and terrain mesh with much smaller efforts than in Max from the scratch. Then how to map everything in Max without troubles and quite easily. This way I probably never forget BTB for it's easy track building.
If anybody is interested, I can share with my solutions.

Ok, I will make some BTB example and describe the process that everybody can practice. I mean - I try soon :)
I don't know exactly if rF2 needs Max 2010 for any special reasons - I use mostly Max 2009 (regular, not Design version). For Max 2009 there are some special tools that I need - one of them is PolyBoost (works with Max up to 2009). But I can use Max 2010 as well.
You need 3dSimed of course too. Photoshop will be also nice addition ;)

PS. BTB System Lock ;) I hope it works as usual!

You can use GMT importer script with 3DS Max, it is one way of getting your project to Max without using 3Dsimed.

Fourth post has a link:
http://www.nogripracing.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43397

Lol it took one hour to import my Pyhäranta track. I would not even want to think how much Cannonball would take...
pyharanta.jpg

Is it possible to convert rf1 btb track for rf2 without using max or other 3d editing program? I've been making a track in btb for a while now and my goal has been to release it for rf2. I don't have 3dmax and I have absolutely no idea where to start or is it even possible? Are the files btb makes for rf1 even compatible with rf2?

Is it possible to convert rf1 btb track for rf2 without using max or other 3d editing program? I've been making a track in btb for a while now and my goal has been to release it for rf2. I don't have 3dmax and I have absolutely no idea where to start or is it even possible? Are the files btb makes for rf1 even compatible with rf2?

I havent yet found a way to convert. What it seems is that you would need to assign new rFactor2 shaders and convert GMT's to new version.

There is quite task waiting for those using GMT importer. All the basic shaders what rF1 (BTB also) uses are more or less changed in rF2. It means that once you imported your GMT's to Max, you need to change every shader to corresponding new one BY HAND. There are no shortcuts as far as I know. My unfinished Pyhäranta track had 137 different materials. But I gotta get new BTB licence and see where I can reduce that stuff before I attempt to any conversions.

I hope that the SCN file BTB generates is still compatible with rF2, because I have no glue how to create one... You really don't want to type in 10 000 lines of GMT references.

AFAIK the conversion should work like this: (I haven't yet tried actually)

1. You make your track from start to finish with BTB
2. Export it
3. Using GMT importer, bring all the exported GMT's to Max
4. Adjust shaders using new gMotor materials. You can also change textures if you want.
5. Using proper settings, export the GMT's with GMT converter
6. Replace BTB export GMT's with these new ones, and it *should* work
7. Make required track text file adjustments
*AIW should be rF2 compatible, but I don't have knowledge of this)
*Note that rF2 uses new hard coded dynamic sky, so it is probably safe to remove sky.gmt and stuff related to that

I don't have idea how things like lights, starting lights and etc work after direct conversion, but it is left to see. I could try to make small test track and see how everything works. With my computer, it took one hour to import 400 000 poly track to 3DS Max 9. The GMT importer script is not the fastest possible.

I asked Dave Noonan for the chance to have a direct porting from BTB (at the exporting stage) to rF2, but he said NO.
But he also said we'll have a new software that give us the chance to "translate" tracks from rF1 to rF2: he is already working on it!

these are his sentences:
I do intend to support rFactor 2 however, it may not be in 3DSimED but in something new...

I cannot tell until I see how different it is and what the time scales are for the full release.

Cheers!

Dave N.

and the second one related to the chance of direct interaction with BTB:

I really doubt I will be able to do anything with the BTB output but I might include a direct converter for rf1 to rf2.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back