rFactor 2 summer sale

How this game compared to AC? I really want to buy this game before the AC AI Update for because of offline AI racing. But after the AC update, I'm thinking if I should buy rF2 even on sale. I know rF2 AI is one of the best, but the graphics is surely behind AC in all aspects. I just need more inputs if i should buy rF2 or not. TIA!

• Deleted member 130869

How this game compared to AC? I really want to buy this game before the AC AI Update for because of offline AI racing. But after the AC update, I'm thinking if I should buy rF2 even on sale. I know rF2 AI is one of the best, but the graphics is surely behind AC in all aspects. I just need more inputs if i should buy rF2 or not. TIA!

That's been brought up many times. Best thing to do is try the demo extensively then try the full game with mods for about 1h45m, and then decide if you want a refund or not. Asking for game comparisons on the game's subforum will lead to a vast amount of subjective and biased opinion. The only thing I will say is to buy the game for its current state, not for supposed potential (that goes for nearly all games).

I got back to simracing after an almost decade long break on the following route: first AC, then R3E, and finally rFactor2. Now after 2 years I have clocked the most hours in rF2, it is my goto sim especially in club/league racing but also for more serious - real life imitating - offline racing. But I still enjoy AC (trackdays on Nordschleife on public servers is just fun, some of the cars simply nail it for me driving-wise), the two sims are just perfectly complementing each other. Honestly, if you have a tiny bit of love for race sims, you cannot go wrong with this reduced price. With the DX11 update, be prepared for some glitches, but my impression is that this sim is on a good track. Also, see my more detailed Steam review with vid here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/D_Moriarty/recommended/365960/

I know rF2 AI is one of the best, but the graphics is surely behind AC in all aspects.

Have you been looking at the DX11 Beta screenshots? I feel rF2 in DX11 is a notch better than AC visually (except most cockpits) without the overly plastic-look of pCARS. Trackside environment is definitely richer in rF2. On the other hand, fps in DX11 rF2 is nowhere close to AC; if you aren't getting 120+ fps in AC, you'll likely be struggling in rF2 DX11 to maintain 60 fps.

Have you been looking at the DX11 Beta screenshots? I feel rF2 in DX11 is a notch better than AC visually (except most cockpits) without the overly plastic-look of pCARS. Trackside environment is definitely richer in rF2. On the other hand, fps in DX11 rF2 is nowhere close to AC; if you aren't getting 120+ fps in AC, you'll likely be struggling in rF2 DX11 to maintain 60 fps.

Well, I already bought it after I post from the thread because of the sale price. Now i have to tweak it for my liking. I think im playing on dx9, coz of the video quality. Any tips? Btw, i dont think my 1050ti will have a problem with the video performance on rF2.

• Deleted member 130869

I'm sorry but visually rF2 is still far behind. Some cars are fine and hold up, even in cockpit view, but overall and especially tracks there is a lack of quality artistry (including dev content) and it's behind the other major titles. It's not something Dx11 can change. Here's the thing though: It's still $15.99. That's not a big investment at all, most of us spent 3-5.5 times that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please don't use screen shots as a reference. I feel like we all have learned this lesson by now. I've got both AC and RF2. It's not a close comparison on visuals....it's even worse if you take into account VR. That said, RF2 is worth $16 to me. The handling model is interesting and it might be a good investment if they keep developing it.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back