rfactor 2 steering settings

hi all. I've been playing rfactor a lot this last week as I joined the pc club!

i also have rfactor 2 which i'm looking forward to getting into...but i'm not happy with my steerings settings.
I may have mentioned before (can't remember if it was on this forum) that the open wheeler noses do not make precise turning movements in small increments - rather they turn in larger increments thant rfactor.

i would like to try again to see if it is the game or my settings.
I rund a CSR wheel. I wonder if anyone else with a csr (on any other wheel might still be useful) could post:
their wheel SEN settings, their in game steering settings for any of the open wheelers (please state which one).

e.g. sensitivity, steering rotation and in garage, steering lock.

obviously, only post if you feel your settings make the game feel great for you.

p.s. please also post throttle and brake senstivity. sorry to ask so much but i'd like to get the most out of the game. i still have no idea when full release is expected but i'm guessing...1 year minimum?

Now that are a lot of questions in 1 post :)

In terms of settings.
Rotating settings are personal. Do you want it to be as realistic as possible, then you are forced to change those settings for each type of car you are driving ( Formula 1 has other rotations then the Clio's for instance).

Personaly, I have a little turning (360 degrees). Just because I like that. I use that for all the cars I drive. Sensitivity is at 100% for me.
Steering lock is a different thing. Thats a setup setting. So, I change that per circuit. Some tracks I prefer a higher setting (20 - 25), some tracks I use only 15. I just go around the track, and try to see what kind of corners there are exactly. Then I check if my rotation makes me comfortable on the track, and adjust if needed.

Braking I have around 60% sensitivity I believe. This helps me not to block the wheels to much. Throttle is 100%. Clutch is changed as well, but again, thats a very personal setting.

If you ask me personally, I do not see rfactor2 go gold before feb 2013. It can imo be easily half 2013, judged by the development speed, and number of issues still aroung. Also, there are still functionalities missing, for which I suspect that they haven't been fully made yet. So all in all, I think that will take some time before it goes gold.

I hope this info helps a bit :) Just try some different settings, to see what matches your driving style the best.

thank you marco, i really appreciate that. i want it to be as realistic as possible. in rfactor, i think it's the best physiqcs i've come across. i even got the ffb great at just the right resistance. however, rfactor 2 doesn't feel as good. people generally seem happier with it but i have to say, for me it's not quite right. i don't want to learn that style and them have them change it..which is a bit frustrating as it looks visually very good.
i will try again.
thanks!

thank you marco, i really appreciate that. i want it to be as realistic as possible. in rfactor, i think it's the best physiqcs i've come across. i even got the ffb great at just the right resistance. however, rfactor 2 doesn't feel as good. people generally seem happier with it but i have to say, for me it's not quite right. i don't want to learn that style and them have them change it..which is a bit frustrating as it looks visually very good.
i will try again.
thanks!

At this stage rF1 is miles ahead of rF2, both in terms of physics and controller setup, and various other features. I will get a refund if it doesn't really improve within the next 6 weeks or so, because then I'd rather get F1 2012, if that's any good.

Also, WRT the controller settings, has anyone else noticed the input lag being noticable, as opposed to none in rF1? This is a real frustration for me.

Well in terms of realism, then you need to constantly change settings.
A quote from F1 technology by Jamer Allen about a F1 race on Monaco. :
Monaco is a unique circuit and calls for some particular details in the technical preparation of the cars, which you will not find anywhere else.
The main one is the steering lock, which needs to be 21 degrees in order to get round the Loews hairpin. Normally an F1 car has a steering lock of 17 degrees.
It is possible to run a standard steering lock and still make the turn, but engineers tell me that it is around 3/10ths of a second slower, so everybody runs the extended steering range.
So, steering lock is set at each specific track.
Another quote, this time from the Setup Guide Ramon van Rijn made:
Racedepartment Setup Guide said:
A good rule is:
  • If you only steering at 50% in the sharpest turn -> Decrease your steering lock
  • If steering reaches end stop of your wheel in the sharpest turn -> Increase steering lock
  • About 90% steering in the sharpest turn will be good for most drivers.

In terms of rotating degrees:
carfactsguide.jpg

Found this image online somewhere. Can't remember where it was. Perhaps this can help a bit :)

i must just thank everyone. altho i had a go on rfactor 2 earlier and was pretty bad at it, i finally got decent steering and realised that part of the problem was : a) i didn't have setup right for my style b)i didn't appreciate how nervous the car IS MEANT TO BE at high speeds...i.e.nose getting twitch, more difficult to control etc. it really requires smooth, controlled driving. the clio's, megans etc feel great and easy to control and the ffb is better now on the setting i have. i can actually feel the road with the throttle and brake. apologies to ISI!

Indeed, it has became harder to set the car up, in a way that it suits you. Although I understand a lot will say the game became worse, it's actually us that has become worse :). The game is more realistic, and more demanding from us, as drivers.

Good to hear you found the settings you like! Now a lot of practise, and I am sure you will be on your pace quick enough!

Have fun.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back