rFactor 2 PC Set up

Hi guys. I'm getting a new laptop for rFactor 2, and I was wondering what processor I should get. Is a I-3, I-5, or I-7 processor good for rF2 and online racing? Also, is a seperate Graphic/Video card neccesary?
Thanks;
Kol

It's hard to say exactly what hardware will be required by rF2 because, as we keep saying, it is not a finished game yet. Half of the graphical features are unfinished or not even implemented yet, so I doubt even ISI could give you definite required specs at this point. The long and short of it is that if you want to build a rig specifically for rF2 then you should wait for the final release in a few months time.

The only thing I can say is that a dedicated graphics card will very likely be necessary. Onboard cards generally suck for gaming of any kind.

I agree with Ross here. There is no standard at the moment.

In terms of the seperate card, both card and internal memory define the quality of the graphics. With a combo card, you use a part of the internal memory as video memory. Best for performance is to keep them seperated.

If it IS a setup just for rf2, I would strongely suggest a desktop instead of laptop. More options in tweaking, more easy to compile with seperate parts, and in most cases cheaper to buy :) Offcourse, there can be other reasons as well why you want a laptop, but I generaly like a desktop over a laptop gaming wise.

Hi guys. I'm getting a new laptop for rFactor 2, and I was wondering what processor I should get. Is a I-3, I-5, or I-7 processor good for rF2 and online racing? Also, is a seperate Graphic/Video card neccesary?
Thanks;
Kol

Hi Kol,
I use my desktop for 3d Gaming but when I am on the go, I enjoy all the games at 60 fps on my lappy.
I own a qosmio x775 branded laptop with the following specs:
i7 2630 , 6 gb ram, 3 gb nvidia GTX 560m (OC'd to 570m) 1 TB 7200 rpm sata HDD

And my framerates in rFactor 2 and settings are:

Resolution: 1600x900 (native)
Anti Aliasing: Level 1
Settings: All Maxed out (Highest possible) I cannot enable HDR because it does not work and the game crashes to desktop.
Framerate 58.2 and up all the time. I was getting only 35-40 fps in early builds. But the optimizations in the last build (except for HDR!) made it perfect.

I think above configuration will do the trick for you. And ,fortunately, you do not pay millions to get a lappy like mine.

I hope it helps...

P.S. Integrated card performance is next to nothing. I have Nvidia optimus which includes an onboard intel and at the lowest settings, I get 12 fps and it feels like Test Drive 2 if you know what I mean.

You don't need a core i7 for gaming. Get a core i5, even an i3 may be good enough if you turn down the options. But for a little more, go for the i5 (rf2 can't take advantage of the extra cores the i7 gives you). I have read that others have had good results with a high end AMD CPU also, but I have no personal experience. My core i5 2500k runs rF2 like a champ.

You will need a separate video card. I am running a 460GTX which is probably the lowest end card you can run and still run with high settings. It really depends on your budget. I've seen 460's out there for cheap but they are out of production and hard to find. a 570 would be great too. If you have enough in the budget, a 580 or a 680/670 will be fantastic.

It's true that the game will change but it should only get better since ISI is working on performance and the video drivers will catch up once rF2 is finished- we have no where to go but up.

I use a AMD. Quad core 3 Ghz, running @ 3,5 Ghz. Have extra cooling installed though
Sort of specs:

CPU AMD Quad @ 3.5 Ghz (OC)
Motherboard: MSI880GM
Memory: 12Gb DDR3
Video: ATI HD6670 1Gb GDDR5

Works for me. I run the game at max settings, and still get around 30 fps on the heavy tracks with full grids. Thats good enough for me, as I know the game will improve on that part when all is implemented.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back