rFactor 2 Open Beta (pre-release discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Wheatley said:
What is the pricing structure for rF2?
In the USA, rF2 will sell for $43.99. This will allow unlimited access to single player and mod development mode. It will also include one year access to an online account. Additional one year access to the online account can be purchased for $12.99.

Why not simply raise the initial purchase price?
That wouldn’t be fair to those wanting to use only the single player or mod development mode.

What exactly are online services?
Users will be given online accounts from which they can access multiplayer races. This should reduce the number of anonymous race entries and in turn hopefully reduce the number of passworded servers.

The service will identify when updates are available and allow for automatic downloads.

The service provides a way to generate and maintain unique Mod/Package ID’s. This should help reduce the mismatch problem found in the current version of rFactor and also help reduce/eradicate version confusion for the end user.

Additional features such as online statistics are also planned.

What will I be able to do if I don't use online services?
You will be able to run single player, run Mod Mode, and manually find and install any mods or updates.

What is this open beta I have been hearing about?
We plan to release an early content-limited version for mod makers to provide feedback on the system. It will be an open beta, meaning anyone can participate. People wishing to take part will be required to make a full purchase (see pricing info above). We are planning to give those who take part in the open beta 18 months of online access with that purchase rather than the 12 months which will come with purchase after the open beta.

Will you offer refunds during or after the open beta?
If you believe you became a part of the rFactor 2 community too early we can arrange one.

Source

Originally I said I would be willing to pay $100 for rFactor 2 if it was a good enough step up from rF1. If the game is supported for 5 years before the next one comes out, it holds my budget. $40 for the game and $13 a year for 5 years hit that $100 pretty much on the nose. If it is as good as rF1 was for it's time, $20 a year for this sim is a steal.

After reading some comments on the interwebs I conclude that there are a growing number of people in the sim racing community with whom I never want to have a beer in a bar. I think I will be dehydrated by all the cheapness at the end of the evening :)

So does it mean now we'll have to pay ISI yearly in order to play online? With their servers or even with our own dedicated servers, already paid with bandwidth included? Apart from keeping the same price for the game when it's 5 years-old, like rFactor is... Well, maybe for one year it will be worth. Then there is CARS, GTR3, Race07 and its thousand packs and mods... Btw, no, I'm not an iRacing fan, on its "leasing" model of use. Hope ISI double checks the way to do business. It has always been a game worth buying (I used to buy licenses and give them as gifts to close friends.. 6 or 7, not much either), but... whatever.

I kind of see Senad's point and the possible knock on affects.

Multiplayer is locked until each person pays 10 euro's per year to be able to race online, if you race in a league online, the dedicated server hosting company would also have to pay what ever fee they will be charged for each game they host. Those cost's will then be passed on to leagues hiring the dedicated servers.

So you would pay 10 euro's to ISI a year plus the extra for the dedicated server. What if the online services head the same way as the RACECAST service, here one momment, gone the next so you could in theory end up with rFactor 2 with no multiplayer capability even after you pay the 10 euros per year.

Also what happens if the online/matchmaker service goes down? Currently if the matchmaker goes down, you can still enter IP address's of the host. If the new system requires the online service to be active for it to unlock multipler capabilities or match make, then you could be screwed.

OK, had some more thoughts.

The online service is supposed to eradicate the mismatches and include an automatic update of a mods latest version, so ISI are making money on this service, but technically making money from the mod making groups. Or will the modding groups have to pay ISI so that their mod can be used online via ISI's pay to play service. In that case would the modding group who made the mod be able to get any royaleties ?

(I know, cant spell)

OK, had some more thoughts.

The online service is supposed to eradicate the mismatches and include an automatic update of a mods latest version, so ISI are making money on this service, but technically making money from the mod making groups. Or will the modding groups have to pay ISI so that their mod can be used online via ISI's pay to play service. In that case would the modding group who made the mod be able to get any royaleties ?

(I know, cant spell)

Why should the modders receive any "royalties"? Game Stock car has proven that you can charge a hefty price for a mod and I'm sure that title will start a new trend as far as mods go. I think this is a good idea that ISI is doing by charging a VERY modest fee for online matchmaking. I hope they also offer some licensed DLC in the future. To me this means rF2 is going to be a title that will last years just as the first one has. Awesome news and a much cheaper alternative to iracing if you're looking for online racing.

I hope they include some great cars like BMW M3/M5 or Ferrari and Porsche 911, Nordschleife-Track and modern ENB-graphics, otherwise the game is already dead on release.

Why do some people write "xbox"???

I hope nobody plays a great racing-sim-game on the outdated consoles with all its disadvantages (poor graphics and quality, NO MODS POSSIBLE! etc.)

I really don't think that $44 for the game, and $13 a year is bad at all to be honest. The people that think it should all be free are going to be stuck playing single player games on the ol TV at home. I'm not trying to pick a fight or anything but the days of sims such as IL2 where Oleg and 1C put out patch after patch for years while putting out an expansion every so ofter are GONE. Roleplaying games, First Person Shooters, Racing games, Flight Sims, and any other type of game you can think of are all doing the same thing now. Although it is now called DLC, downloadable content which you have to pay for. With the state of the worlds economy there are no companies that can afford to do what Oleg did with IL2 any longer. Heck most games for the PC dont even come out at the stores in a box now due to cost and all of the crap they have to go through. I wont even get into piracy that most game dev's have to face.So even though I'm a 100% content owner of iRacing I will probably checkout RF2 as well. I mean heck you can't even go out for a night on the town with the family for as much as they are asking for it.

I have no idea what Game Stock Car is, but what I'm saying it's like everyone buying and downloading Game Stock Car from ISI via the 10 euro online service, and the creators of Game Stock Car get zero because they are downloading directly from ISI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes