rFactor 2 Open Beta (pre-release discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tim Wheatley said:
What is the pricing structure for rF2?
In the USA, rF2 will sell for $43.99. This will allow unlimited access to single player and mod development mode. It will also include one year access to an online account. Additional one year access to the online account can be purchased for $12.99.

Why not simply raise the initial purchase price?
That wouldn’t be fair to those wanting to use only the single player or mod development mode.

What exactly are online services?
Users will be given online accounts from which they can access multiplayer races. This should reduce the number of anonymous race entries and in turn hopefully reduce the number of passworded servers.

The service will identify when updates are available and allow for automatic downloads.

The service provides a way to generate and maintain unique Mod/Package ID’s. This should help reduce the mismatch problem found in the current version of rFactor and also help reduce/eradicate version confusion for the end user.

Additional features such as online statistics are also planned.

What will I be able to do if I don't use online services?
You will be able to run single player, run Mod Mode, and manually find and install any mods or updates.

What is this open beta I have been hearing about?
We plan to release an early content-limited version for mod makers to provide feedback on the system. It will be an open beta, meaning anyone can participate. People wishing to take part will be required to make a full purchase (see pricing info above). We are planning to give those who take part in the open beta 18 months of online access with that purchase rather than the 12 months which will come with purchase after the open beta.

Will you offer refunds during or after the open beta?
If you believe you became a part of the rFactor 2 community too early we can arrange one.

Source

id pay more for the game, so money isnt the issue for me.

but paying a online tax pisses me right off. sure pay for the matchmaking services isnt a prob, but BLOCKING ip/lan connection which should be free by default with every game reeks of pure greed.

Bram, Scott, please could you point me a online race that you have done with rFactor original cars in these last 2/3 years? Or even a Racing Club event?

And I'm not complaining about the price, also to me seems a fair price, my issue was about this:

Sérgio Marques;974450 said:
Now suppose you are a member of a modding team or someone who build a track, you work for free to build them, then to play it online you will have to pay to ISI to use it?

I don't mind paying a discardable annual fee for less mismatches, a shorter server list and properly facilitated updates. Even if that is all we get. I find it silly how people get all upset about an annual fee and the next moment step into the local bar to spend the same amount of money on a couple of beers they forget about tomorrow.

Sérgio Marques;974698 said:
Bram, Scott, please could you point me a online race that you have done with rFactor original cars in these last 2/3 years? Or even a Racing Club event?

And I'm not complaining about the price, also to me seems a fair price, my issue was about this:
and the answer is Yes, why should any mod team get away with playing online for free regardless whether they made the track or not?

everyone who plays this game and wants to play it online is a customer, everyone has a equal and that is to pay to go online, no exceptions tbh.

The Gaming Industry is alot tougher then it was 3-5 years ago, Piracy and cheats have grown so big now that company's sometimes have to take drastic action, to be honest this is not drastic action at all but ISI is protecting the interest of the company and the game, along with services that may be put into place for this Sim, let's say more work to produce DLC (again it's not all been confirmed has it)

what im saying is, there is a very good valid reason to all this, some of which has been shortly been explained in the thread.

Scott Webber;974789 said:
and the answer is Yes, why should any mod team get away with playing online for free regardless whether they made the track or not?

everyone who plays this game and wants to play it online is a customer, everyone has a equal and that is to pay to go online, no exceptions tbh.

Don't agree at all and you didn't answer my first question.

Who says the mod team doesnt get something for it?
Maybe some money or some extra help from the guys from ISI or some extra tools etc. You dont know all the details at this point. So you cant make those assumptions yet.

There are tons of people working on voluntary basis on rFactor (and other games): skinners, league and club organizers, forum/site/server admins and moderators, document makers, news writers and god knows what. Should they all get discount as well Sergio? Fact is that this online subscription kills piracy which is a great thing, allows you to have stats and ban options and that all for the price of a meal. 13 dollars a year is 3,5 dollar cents per day. Lol, are we really debating this?

Bram Hengeveld;974869 said:
There are tons of people working on voluntary basis on rFactor (and other games): skinners, league and club organizers, forum/site/server admins and moderators, document makers, news writers and god knows what. Should they all get discount as well Sergio?

Yes, that's another big point, I think they have done a great service for rFactor1 and with RF2 they will keep living just on donations and ISI on payments.

Bram Hengeveld;974135 said:
After reading some comments on the interwebs I conclude that there are a growing number of people in the sim racing community with whom I never want to have a beer in a bar. I think I will be dehydrated by all the cheapness at the end of the evening :)
Could not agree more Bram,
In Australia if someone never buys a beer we say "he wouldn't shout if a shark bit him"

I did a quick bit of maths. I paid £34.00 for F1 2011 (which I love by the way) then say £35.00 for XBox live.
£70.00 for the year. I will play say 400 hours on this game. Equals 0.17p per hour!
The only thing you can do cheaper is sleep or draw with crayons on butchers paper.

Another issue to consider is the percentage the actual game costs of your total spend. Again I have Xbox £250 ish, TV £200, Wheel Pedals £40-200. If we only cost the depreciation at 25% p.a. we have £137.5 p.a.
The game costs are a pittance.
Conclusion the sort of prices being offered are peanuts.
If your enjoyment isn't worth 20p per hour you are seriously undervaluing yourself.

Why the constant xbox comparisons? It's a PC game. Buy F1 2011 on PC, pay once, play forever without limitations.

Again, I wouldn't mind if this was something useful. Offer a cool feature and charge for it. Don't block a basic game feature and ask for money to unlock it. Unless I missed something, they aren't providing any infrastructure or anything. Perpetual shareware.

Senad Subasic;974964 said:
Why the constant xbox comparisons? It's a PC game. Buy F1 2011 on PC, pay once, play forever without limitations.
Buy F1 2010, buy F1 2011, buy F1 2012? how is that cheaper?
And don't tell me they are totally different games,its basically the same thing

Lets not turn what is a pricing debate into a "PC is better than Xbox is better than PS3 is better than Wi is better than a casio calculator" argument. Th edebate is about what is a fair price.
The Xbox comparisons were used as I know then better. They are valid because its a racing game played on a computer (console or PC whats the diff) and was used to generate a global cost comparison. The numbers would stack up very similar if you did the same analysis of capital cost and depreciation and annual running costs.The net result is the same my friend the price is peanuts.I never said it (F1 2011) was cheaper. My key point is they all cost peanuts. I hope that answer your question.

this isn't an "online tax". The 10 euros will just be for the matchmaking service. Alot of you are blowing this out of proportion. You will get one year of matchmaking service with purchase and in that year you will decide if you like it. Seriously I can't believe some are complaining about 10 euros for one year.

LOL, well I guess some prefer to buy Codemaster games every years, some prefer other sims, its perfectly fine. I'm not defending rF2 I simply can't understand why people make such a big deal out of it, if you can't pay 12.99$ then don't. If I see its not a valid offer (for whatever reason) I wont pay for the 2nd year.

David O'Reilly;974985 said:
The Xbox comparisons were used as I know then better. They are valid because its a racing game played on a computer (console or PC whats the diff)
What's the difference? Well, obviously the xbox live thing (which you have to pay for, apparently) vs. multiplayer on virtually all existing PC games (no charge, even for games without dedicated servers).
So, the pricing system on a whole different platform isn't that relevant. The price isn't the issue anyway, it's the concept of blocking parts of the game unless you pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 351 28.3%