rFactor 2: Lola T70 Spyder Released

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
t70 1.jpg

CrossPly has released his outstanding version of the iconic Lola T70 Spyder historic sports car for rFactor 2, bringing the mod up to version 1.0.4 and adding a number of enhancements and improvements.

Perfect for use on the official historic release tracks like Spa, Monza and Longford or one of the many excellent mods already available in the RaceDepartment downloads section, this car is sure to be a hit amongst fans of more classic machinery.

Based initially on the Howson G6 ISI model, CrossPly has created a wealth of his own textures and physics as well as modifying existing ISI details across the sim. The result is a vehicle that you will instantly find addictive and engaging to drive and slide in true 60's style !

The new release adds 2 new models in the form of a mk3/mk3b car featuring the following differences in comparison to the mk1/mk2:
  • An optional new nose type, introduced by Lola sometime in 1967. In sim this is known as the mk3b nose but it’s also found on some mk3’s. The differing nose options provide no difference in performance.
  • Additional front and rear wing options that provide more downforce.
  • More powerful engines.
  • Improved brakes with in-car adjustable bias.
  • Wider tyres
  • Narrower track (mk3b only)
  • Lighter weight (mk3b only)
Despite being a highly polished mod already, CrossPly plans to continue refining and improving the car in the future with possible implementation on CPM tyres when available from ISI and possible additional engine and tyre options in future releases.

Changelog:
  • Added mk3 and mk3b models. These are based on the physics of the Howston G6 originals. The mk3 and mk3b cars are added as a separate car to the mk1 and mk2 and use different skin templates. AI drivers and liveries are mostly based on the real life 1967 and 1968 Can-Am and USRRC seasons with a couple of 1969 ones to help pad out the field.
  • Adjusted AI settings to reduce crashing at common tracks, hopefully this hasn’t made them too slow...
  • Improved glass material settings and enabled cube-map.
  • Made rollbar texture paintable and added car specific variants where appropriate. Paintable using 'EXTRA1' wildcard.
  • Added driver specific helmets, particularly for the more recognisable drivers. Paintable using 'HELMET' wildcard.
  • Added new driver dust mask and textures. Paintable using 'EXTRA6' wildcard?
  • Adjusted body material settings and textures for improved specularity and reflections inspired by the work of Tosch for the Apex GT3 mod, thanks to both of them.
  • Adjust body generated dirt and weathering to be a bit more subtle.
  • Various individual skin fixes and colouring tweaks.
  • Updated details and textures for the original G6 dash to be used by the Mk3b
  • Added additional dash for mk2 (and mk3)
  • Added additional dash for mk1
  • Added missing shift light.
  • Fixed flickering gauge glass material.
  • Rebuilt seat to fit cockpit bodywork.
  • Improved fibreglass texture and dirt/weathering.
  • Improved cockpit bodywork, now includes accurately modeled doors.
  • Added 'pontoon' ram air intakes as an option. These come with an improvement in power and torque but more weight and drag.
  • Improved tail light chrome texture and material.
  • Fix unwanted reflections from a few key areas.
  • Added unique intakes and exhaust textures for the different engine upgrades to make them visually identifiable.
  • Split Engine physics from the "Model" upgrade into its own upgrade.
  • Improved engine and gearbox textures and geometry. Textures now based on Brabham BT20
  • Improved headlight and tail light textures and implemented light flare shaders. Thanks to Some1 for creating them and making them available to the community.
  • Added rim-blurs
  • Improved driver physique (now includes seatbelt) and animation.
  • Fixed bonnet view cam clipping through nose bodywork.
  • Added additional Lods for minor components (Headlight reflectors, Rear Wing Parts).
  • Adjusted .rcd file to provide a greater spread of Speed and QualifySpeed values
  • Added Missing A.J. Foyt driver to AI .rcd file.
  • Fixed side mirrors to be independently adjustable
Download the Lola T70 Spyder here

t70 2.jpg t70 3.jpg t70 4.jpg t70 5.jpg t70 6.jpg t70 7.jpg

Have you tried the new update yet or perhaps sampling this car for the first time? Let us know what you think in the comments section below!

An example of how off it is realism wise there is an easy way that many more can experience, which is the karts in the game. Many people have driven karts and it's not expensive or hard to aquire an experience with it.

Strang you say this...
I've owned a kz1 shifter kart. They feel authentic to me. :) You need to have some experience with the faster kind of go-karts.
It's not like a rental kart. :p

Strang you say this...
I've owned a kz1 shifter kart. They feel authentic to me. :) You need to have some experience with the faster kind of go-karts.
It's not like a rental kart. :p

As many racers I started competing in karts and I really cant understand if you honestly think there is any similarity to handling. I even competed in the biggest series here in sweden and drove some of the most famous tracks, even though sweden isnt like a mecka of karting or anything we do have a pretty good scene within or own world.
It's not even about the subtleties but largely and generally they handle really unrealistic to my opinion. It's like someone guessed how a kart would handle to me.

Hate to report and no idea why but I am not liking this version at all. And I had driven the prior version just days ago for comparison purposes and something seems terribly off. Terribly. Overall feel is just awful and something very bizarre is going on with the steering rack and also much ffb rattle although filtering could resolve that but appears that would be treating the symptom.

Good news is that others are enjoying so hopefully just me but wanted to report anyway in case helpful. Wheel is G27. FFB strength = 0.75.

Hate to report and no idea why but I am not liking this version at all. And I had driven the prior version just days ago for comparison purposes and something seems terribly off. Terribly. Overall feel is just awful and something very bizarre is going on with the steering rack and also much ffb rattle although filtering could resolve that but appears that would be treating the symptom.

Good news is that others are enjoying so hopefully just me but wanted to report anyway in case helpful. Wheel is G27. FFB strength = 0.75.

Suspension & tire physics are still the Howston. Only thing author has done is add some numbers for aerodynamic options that match the visuals he's added and slightly different power curves for the various engines.

Suspension & tire physics are still the Howston. Only thing author has done is add some numbers for aerodynamic options that match the visuals he's added and slightly different power curves for the various engines.

Yep, what Emery said.

Actually I didn't even touch the engine curves, just added the ram air effect for the pacesetter cars

Kevin, maybe check your that your FPS is still ok in case that might be having an effect on the sim. The new version is probably more graphically demanding than the old and really that's the only significant difference for the existing mk1 and mk2 cars.

I would be the first to admit that it may not be realistic because I have no idea what it was like to drive one of these. The closest I came would be driving my dad's 65 T-bird like a fool on the backroads around our house and it did drive like a boat but power slides were all I wanted to do so it was good for that :D! So as Tomas said
enjoy the particular challenge if this fictional way of handling go ahead and have fun.
Realistic or not I'm having fun and for me that is a big part of Sim racing. Seems to drive well with a Fanatec V2, clubsport V 4-speed and some Huesingveld pedals. It is a handful, but I seem to be able to control it well and just the view out of the cockpit and the sound make it worthwhile for me. As an added bonus the AI racing is also a lot of fun.

Yep, what Emery said.

Actually I didn't even touch the engine curves, just added the ram air effect for the pacesetter cars

Kevin, maybe check your that your FPS is still ok in case that might be having an effect on the sim. The new version is probably more graphically demanding than the old and really that's the only significant difference for the existing mk1 and mk2 cars.
Hi CrossPly,
Thanks for this even if it is mostly visual! I don't much about what is under the hood on these games so I have a quick question. Are there fairly easy settings that would make it have a little more attached to the road feel. I love driving it but would like to have a bit more feel of the road friction if there even is such a thing. When driving the other Lola it seems a little more connected.

Lower tire pressure

Hi CrossPly,
Thanks for this even if it is mostly visual! I don't much about what is under the hood on these games so I have a quick question. Are there fairly easy settings that would make it have a little more attached to the road feel. I love driving it but would like to have a bit more feel of the road friction if there even is such a thing. When driving the other Lola it seems a little more connected.

One small feedback for possible incorporation into future versions. Tire sounds used are slick tire sounds but this vehicle does not have slicks. Here is what I have replaced scrubbing and skidding sound lines with in HG6.SFX file with for personal use:

// SKID SOUNDS (INSIDE)
ScrubIndividually=1 // set to 1 to play individual sounds
ScrubFreq=(1.00,-0.25,0.005,-0.00002)
// SKID SOUNDS (INSIDE)
VS_INSIDE_TIRE_SCRUB=1.5,TMTires\scrub04_in.wav
VS_INSIDE_SKID_DRY=1.5,TMTires\scrub04_in.wav
VS_INSIDE_SKID_WET=TMTires\skid2_dry_in.wav
VS_INSIDE_SKID_GRASS=TMTires\grassskid_in.wav
VS_INSIDE_SKID_DIRT=TMTires\gravelskid_in.wav
VS_INSIDE_SKID_GRAVEL=TMTires\gravelskid_in.wav
// SKID SOUNDS (OUTSIDE)
VS_OUTSIDE_TIRE_SCRUB=0.9,TMTires\scrub04_ex.wav