rFactor 2: 64-bit environment in next build

Bram Hengeveld

Site Founder
Staff
Premium
64bit.jpg

The developers at Image Space Incorporated have announced to be offering 64-bit support on their PC simulation rFactor 2 in the upcoming build.

This is fantastic news for gamers that have a passion to race with larger grids of cars on very resource demanding racing circuits such at the Nordschleife.

On their rFactor 2 website ISI stated the following about the memory usage upgrades:

We've been hard at work recently on the overall experience rFactor 2 provides. Key to this; decreasing the chances of users running out of system memory, and increasing code efficiency with more range for CPU instructions, improving overall performance.

What uses system memory, and why? Well, system memory (RAM) has much faster access times than a hard drive or swap file. Games use RAM to read, write and temporarily store items for quicker access than other storage methods.

For something like rFactor 2, this means every car, race track, car livery, track building, texture of grass, asphalt, concrete – everything you see in the simulation – takes up RAM. The more cars you add (be they A.I. or in multiplayer), the larger the track, or the more detail you have to load, the more RAM is filled.

With a 32-bit environment, it is only possible to allocate to 4GB of RAM. These days, with increased texture sizes, more accurate 3D models – like we have been producing since our first release of Silverstone Circuit – 4GB is becoming a lower ceiling.

A 64-bit environment is a fantastic thing, it can theoretically handle 17.2 billion GB of RAM. By going 64-bit, you effectively take the ceiling off. Systems with 8GB, 16GB or more can take advantage by running on larger tracks, with higher texture levels and more cars.

We highly recommend that upon release, those with suitable systems try our new 64bit executables. However, what about those of you who can’t? Good news! We have also made memory usage gains in 32-bit during this process. Not only will those using our new 64-bit executables gain from this work, 32-bit users will as well, although it is important to remember that in 32-bit, a 4GB limit will always hang over you if you run high texture levels, or many opponent cars. However, going forward, effective use of the swap file beyond the RAM limit may allow you to bypass halted execution at the expense of performance.

96 garage locations :) ? I am in!

That would be crazy if we could make this happen.
Something like a 2 h endurance in the Clios hahha. But knowing rF2 very well the hell would brake loose I guess and we would encounter never seen bugs. But still would be great fun.

Kinda.....

Software... The final frontier....
these are the voyages of the simulation rF2
It's continuing mission to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new live and new civilisations,
they boldly go where no one has gone before...

View attachment 57050
The developers at Image Space Incorporated have announced to be offering 64-bit support on their PC simulation rFactor 2 in the upcoming build.

This is fantastic news for gamers that have a passion to race with larger grids of cars on very resource demanding racing circuits such at the Nordschleife.

On their rFactor 2 website ISI stated the following about the memory usage upgrades:

We've been hard at work recently on the overall experience rFactor 2 provides. Key to this; decreasing the chances of users running out of system memory, and increasing code efficiency with more range for CPU instructions, improving overall performance.

What uses system memory, and why? Well, system memory (RAM) has much faster access times than a hard drive or swap file. Games use RAM to read, write and temporarily store items for quicker access than other storage methods.

For something like rFactor 2, this means every car, race track, car livery, track building, texture of grass, asphalt, concrete – everything you see in the simulation – takes up RAM. The more cars you add (be they A.I. or in multiplayer), the larger the track, or the more detail you have to load, the more RAM is filled.

With a 32-bit environment, it is only possible to allocate to 4GB of RAM. These days, with increased texture sizes, more accurate 3D models – like we have been producing since our first release of Silverstone Circuit – 4GB is becoming a lower ceiling.

A 64-bit environment is a fantastic thing, it can theoretically handle 17.2 billion GB of RAM. By going 64-bit, you effectively take the ceiling off. Systems with 8GB, 16GB or more can take advantage by running on larger tracks, with higher texture levels and more cars.

We highly recommend that upon release, those with suitable systems try our new 64bit executables. However, what about those of you who can’t? Good news! We have also made memory usage gains in 32-bit during this process. Not only will those using our new 64-bit executables gain from this work, 32-bit users will as well, although it is important to remember that in 32-bit, a 4GB limit will always hang over you if you run high texture levels, or many opponent cars. However, going forward, effective use of the swap file beyond the RAM limit may allow you to bypass halted execution at the expense of performance.

THIS

This is what I'm talking about!

Wow, the urge to stump up for this sim is getting stronger. I don't have time to drive more than one sim ATM, but I'm feeling the pull.Any time frame on a HistorX mod for rF2?

Get in there! I have a windows 7 8gb ram laptop and I'm experiencing quite low frame rates at times so this would be great! I also hope that in the next build, AI cars will pit when they lose their front wings etc.

Although I certainly applaud the move to 64 bit, I'm quite surprised by this given it's still not the standard approach taken on 99% of the game/sim software out there till this day and yes it certainly should be but that's a different discussion.

So now ISI is going to be well ahead of the curve by making this move this yet at the same time this game has horrendous performance issues even on the strongest of hardware out there.
Mainly due to them sticking with DX9 which isn't particularly up to the job when it comes to making the most of gfx hardware and that bothers me a lot more than the visual fidelity argument.

But if this gets raised you get the feedback that their focus isn't on gfx like those other arcade games, if you mention that it runs terrible on SLI its your own fault for having SLI as if it's some sort of exceptional thing to have nowadays.
Yet now all of a sudden we get 64 bit which is undoubtedly going to allow more stuff to be loaded into ram but will it increase the performance at which all this extra stuff will run, I don't know but the consensus does seem to be that 64 bit doesn't really going to give you what this sim needs most, a decent consistent, non stuttering FPS!

Does this confirm my impression that the decisions made regarding RF2's development lack focus, or does this mean that ISI is going to take the modernisation of RF2 further with more things to come which will also improve that performance, I sincerely hope for the latter!

Rfactor 2 closed testing :D you can apply to join in the forums

do you know if the closed testing is "closed" to new members now? i followed the instructions on the rf2 forum only to be directed to a blank/missing page that was supposed to be the devs corner where you're told to scroll to the bottom of the page to apply for closed testing, no page to scroll down :(

I think the framerate with large field of varied cars on highres tracks is a bigger obstacle than the amount of ram

I disagree. The biggest obstacle currently is loading many cars. rFactor 2 was clearly running out of memory in those cases, and only going to 64 bit will solve that.

Once the cars are loaded, displaying them is not a big issue, even with large numbers of cars, because unless all those cars are very close, most of them will be drawn with a lower Level Of Detail anyway. Furthermore, as long as we're talking about on-line races, the number of cars drawn is limited because the server will only send you cars that are close to your own to save bandwidth.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back