rf2 Steam info: ISI Q&A

Paul Jeffrey

Premium
12.jpg

Back in September rFactor 2 developers Image Space Incorporated announced their intention to launch the popular simulator on the Steam platform, moving away from the current download and subscription method via ISI's own website.

With the planned go live due before Christmas 2015 many of the community have been left confused regarding what the move will mean in reality and how different Stream features can be incorporated in the sim. In response to the upcoming move, ISI have today released a short Q&A aiming to answer the most common questions.

Q&A on Steam:
If I already own rF2, can I move over to the Steam version for free?
Yes you can migrate over to the Steam version at no extra cost. Once you do this, your original non-Steam product is no longer active.

How will Steam work with Standard/Lifetime?
For those who do not buy or have Lifetime, you will need to buy online access through Steam. We will not offer Lifetime upgrades (from ‘Offline’) on Steam. We are also planning to stop doing Standard to Lifetime upgrades for the non-Steam version soon.

rF2 on Steam will offer three things:
– rF2 Offline
– 1 Year Online for rF2 (adds multiplayer to rF2 Offline)
– rF2 Lifetime (has multiplayer included)

Will my online access be carried over from non-Steam to Steam?
No, not for the standard version of rF2. We are not able to move over remaining online access, so users may want to wait until that expires before migrating. Lifetime access is carried over to Steam.

Why Steam? Why now? What Steam features are implemented in rF2?
We have done a lot of work to support Steam, including implementation of Steam Workshop for additional content. Here is a more comprehensive list:

– automatic updates of rFactor and mods
– support for Steam Workshop as a single easy source for all ISI and third party mods
– workshop items will automatically stay up to date
– leagues can use the workshop to create a convenient installation for participants
– automatic backup of car setups in the Steam cloud
– integration with the Steam matchmaker for finding servers
– support for the Steam friends system to join a friend’s game
– screenshots can be quickly shared on Steam
– broadcast options to allow (your friends or anybody) to watch you play
– streaming support that allow you to run rFactor 2 on one system but stream the graphics to another
– Steam Music Player support to listen to your favourite songs in your car and control the stereo
– statistics and achievements that you can use to compare your performance against others

Some may consider it a better platform for rFactor 2 due to the Steam integration, but we’re not planning on any Steam exclusive features (apart from those that require Steam or are enabled by using it, as can be seen above).

Will non-Steam and Steam rF2 be cross compatible?
Our goal is that MP races are cross compatible, yes.

Will a non-Steam version continue to be sold?
We will continue to sell a non-steam version for an undefined period. We may look to wind down new sales on the non-Steam version, but much like rF1, this is probably a long-term transition, if it happens at all.

Will you be upgrading your account to Steam when its available, or will the move encourage you to purchase rFactor 2 if you haven't already? Let us know your opinions in the comments section below...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a very happy RF2 customer who bought the lifetime version 3 years ago.
Best £50.00 I have ever spent. I reckon I have 1000 hours up so thats 5 pence an hour now. I couldn't keep my child in crayons and butchers paper for that.

Gaming peripherals, thats another matter. At any given time I'm saving for something. Currently have to prioritise triple screens or something else.

For me as a person who is not a regular consumer of other games Steam doesnt seem to mean much. Maybe I'm wrong.

Personally I think its very fair to charge the fee for multiplayer. It stops people stealing ISI services. Its cheap but there are so many who will steal without remorse. I am more concerned that the company survives with good cashflows to do what they do so well rather than go broke due to hacked services.
You very obviously don't frequent Steam much David it's like the wild west. People on there don't like anything outside the norm, be it when using Ubisoft games you need to go through uplay etc. I personally see this as a major issue that the great unwashed of Steam will not appreciate at all. If ISI are looking for a wider audience then a paywall is not the way to go about it.

If EA could not make it work how can ISI?

Best news ever for rF2 imo, I really hate the download and install process of this game so putting it on Steam will be a great improvement, also using the Workshop for both official content and mod content + liveries are just brilliant, I suggested this to another game dev a while back (for liveries) cos I think it's a real easy way for both developer and customer to manage 3rd party content.
Heck, modders can even monetize their content on the Workshop and get paid for all those hours they spend making content that we otherwise would just download for free (grey zone when it comes to licensed cars etc I know).
Hopefully I can get my installation working before or after the transition, as it stands I have spent perhaps 10 hours on rF2 since buying it and most of that time was spent trying to get the damned thing to run properly ><

I'm a very happy RF2 customer who bought the lifetime version 3 years ago.
Best £50.00 I have ever spent. I reckon I have 1000 hours up so thats 5 pence an hour now. I couldn't keep my child in crayons and butchers paper for that.

Gaming peripherals, thats another matter. At any given time I'm saving for something. Currently have to prioritise triple screens or something else.

For me as a person who is not a regular consumer of other games Steam doesnt seem to mean much. Maybe I'm wrong.

Personally I think its very fair to charge the fee for multiplayer. It stops people stealing ISI services. Its cheap but there are so many who will steal without remorse. I am more concerned that the company survives with good cashflows to do what they do so well rather than go broke due to hacked services.
We had people joining leagues in the past after trying one or two races online despite playing exclusively offline for years and years. rF2 model kills it.
Steam is good as they'll be able to sell it for fair prices in different countries. I don't like Steam at all tho, if I didn't need it anymore after buying a game I'd be happy.

The multiplayer paywall is idiotic. It holds me back from buying the sim because I don't want to have to pay for multiplayer renewals down the road but I don't want to pay that insane up front cost for lifetime either. I'd be tempted by this sale price but its not a good month for me even at that price.

Its as bad as the AC DLC multiplayer barrier. I don't respect this model at all.

Big sale too
580c3812-57f4-40fc-ab45-7f95bc9a8954.jpg
It's time.
As an rFactor user, you're being sent a one-time email inviting you to purchase our latest racing simulation at a special price...

40% off rFactor 2 Standard or Lifetime
Use PROMO CODE "40OCT15" (without quotes) on our purchase site.
Click here to have it automatically entered. New purchases only.

Already own rFactor 2 Standard version?
10% off multiplayer renewals via this link. Promo code "10RENEW".

Both Promo Codes will expire 23:59 EDT on 10/18/2015.
Great :) This made me buy rF2 :)

I paid 56 pounds for rf2 lifetime about 4 months ago, and I don't regret it even a bit, despite the fact that some people are going to be paying about half of that price today for the same product. As a matter of fact, sim racers are a very niche crowd making it a squeeze for the developers to make a profit. Now I will throw a in a hissy fit if some "jumping jack FPS shooter" developer starts charging that much for their product (lifetime) or charges me every year for online, because they have a customer base which is orders of magnitude bigger but with racing sim developers (and I mean proper sims, not Rain Simulators, if you know what I mean) I really don't want to complain.

For me I like this decision. One of my biggest gripes has been the Mickey Mouse way of updating mods and the program. I love loading Steam and seeing AC, PCARS, and DirtR update automatically.

As for the paywall, the real shame is that there is little value to the single player product. That's why this software collects dust for me. Imagine buying Call of Duty for $40 and getting only target practice. Then having to pay extra for a year of MP? Not a fan of that.

I race occasionally with a league that still runs rF and they're looking beyond rF and the options are really SCE or rF2. Hard to get people to put up the upfront cost of the software (and hardware to run it) then another chunk to be able to race online. I think SCE offers a spectacular value proposition compared to that.

Big sale too
580c3812-57f4-40fc-ab45-7f95bc9a8954.jpg
It's time.
As an rFactor user, you're being sent a one-time email inviting you to purchase our latest racing simulation at a special price...

40% off rFactor 2 Standard or Lifetime
Use PROMO CODE "40OCT15" (without quotes) on our purchase site.
Click here to have it automatically entered. New purchases only.

Already own rFactor 2 Standard version?
10% off multiplayer renewals via this link. Promo code "10RENEW".

Both Promo Codes will expire 23:59 EDT on 10/18/2015.

Thanks for the heads up on this . Just purchased game with lifetime for 50.99 US. Think that's a pretty good deal. Much appreciated :)

The multiplayer paywall is idiotic. It holds me back from buying the sim because I don't want to have to pay for multiplayer renewals down the road but I don't want to pay that insane up front cost for lifetime either. I'd be tempted by this sale price but its not a good month for me even at that price.

Its as bad as the AC DLC multiplayer barrier. I don't respect this model at all.

Insane? hardly, considering you can pay that amount every year for the FIFA Franchise! Don't forget that there are no Pay DLCs from ISI, *ALL* updates/cars/tracks are free, so whilst you may pay less for AC in the beginning you end up paying more through each added DLC they charge for.

If you can't afford it then you can't afford it that's fair enough, but I encourage you to purchase RF2 when you can, at least try the demo out if you haven't already...maybe that will sway you to lay off the beer and save the pennies for the full product ;)

For me I like this decision. One of my biggest gripes has been the Mickey Mouse way of updating mods and the program. I love loading Steam and seeing AC, PCARS, and DirtR update automatically.

As for the paywall, the real shame is that there is little value to the single player product. That's why this software collects dust for me. Imagine buying Call of Duty for $40 and getting only target practice. Then having to pay extra for a year of MP? Not a fan of that.

I race occasionally with a league that still runs rF and they're looking beyond rF and the options are really SCE or rF2. Hard to get people to put up the upfront cost of the software (and hardware to run it) then another chunk to be able to race online. I think SCE offers a spectacular value proposition compared to that.

It's £9 for MP a year, people pay that per month for other games, seems very cheap and extremely reasonable to me. At least that way if you decide you don't like the MP after one year you don't have to renew and you still have the SP game (which FYI is very good value).

If you buy the Lifetime you'll simply save 3 years of the single cost + yearly sub, again it maybe a bit high as an additional product so if you can't afford it that's fine, buy and play something cheaper.

It's like anything in life, I want Car A but it's a bit more expensive than Car B but Car A is better, what do I do? I either save for Car A or make do with Car B, simples!

It's £9 for MP a year, people pay that per month for other games, seems very cheap and extremely reasonable to me. At least that way if you decide you don't like the MP after one year you don't have to renew and you still have the SP game (which FYI is very good value).

If you buy the Lifetime you'll simply save 3 years of the single cost + yearly sub, again it maybe a bit high as an additional product so if you can't afford it that's fine, buy and play something cheaper.

It's like anything in life, I want Car A but it's a bit more expensive than Car B but Car A is better, what do I do? I either save for Car A or make do with Car B, simples!
Explain that to Steam hordes! It's alright for us simmers who think nothing of spending hundreds of pounds on toy steering wheels. Going off what I have seen on Steam over the years I predict a riot.

Explain that to Steam hordes! It's alright for us simmers who think nothing of spending hundreds of pounds on toy steering wheels. Going off what I have seen on Steam over the years I predict a riot.

I know what you mean but in the end it's really simple, I can only hope ISI continue with a Demo in Steam as well so if they try that then they're bound to see it's worth it.
The pricing structure to me is very simple and in the long run extremely cheap, but then I have had lifetime since RF2 was born so those new to it now may wonder whether it will last another 3+ years....which I have no doubt it will just going on the success for rF1 :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back