Returning back to Sim Racing

Hi All,

I was registered here a while back (years ago now!) and looking to make a return to the hobby.

Back in the day I was a bit of a Fanatec fanboy until I found Heusinkveld's pedals. I never had the opportunity to experience direct drive which at the time OSW and Mige's started to make an experience.

My next build (with your help) will be planned as follows:

-Simucube 2 Pro Direct Drive System
-Sim Lab P1-X (which mount should I opt for with the DD system? There is a Front and DD specific options)
-Heusinkveld pedals. I cant see my old kit on his site anymore. I suspect that the equivalent are the 'Sprint' pedals? From memory they had blue and white rubber stops and a small transparent controller. Sometimes a bit squeaky too!
-PC already built
-Do I need any type of plate system on the Sim Lab to accommodate the pedals?
-Steering wheel I am totally unsure on. I like the look of Cube Controls GT PRO OMP Sim Racing Steering Wheel – Wireless but it doesnt have any of the digital dash components. Ideally I dont want to spend anymore than 1k on a steering wheel.
- Monitor, I used to have 3 x BenQ XL2720Z set at 144hz with low response times. I have noticed others using curved screens. Any recommendations? I would really like to go VR but I just feel that the quality just isnt there yet.

Not sure if I have missed anything else but as always your help is much appreciated. Also appreciate criticism on any of my kit list above if you know of better/cheaper alternatives.

Thanks Guys.

realistically all of your gear listed is pretty much top end - 'go to' stuff. you shouldn't theoretically have any issues with that level of equipment and its certainly an enviable list of parts.

What specs are your PC?
To me that would help dictate the type of screen solution you should consider.
Example,
say you have a 2080Ti, then triple 1440p 144hz panels would be a good shout. I personally prefer the ROG Swift screens with gsync.
if you had a lower spec video card in your system then the panel choice would be more critical.

Have you considered an ultrawide or super ultrawide monitor instead of triples?
if you want to go VR then the Valve index would be the best bet but it is costly.
my personal setup is a 34" ultrawide and a oculus Rift S running off a 2080 Super.
great performance in all sims on screen and VR. i think the video card would struggle if i was running triples though.
hope thats helpful.

Upvote 0
Hi All,

I was registered here a while back (years ago now!) and looking to make a return to the hobby.

Back in the day I was a bit of a Fanatec fanboy until I found Heusinkveld's pedals. I never had the opportunity to experience direct drive which at the time OSW and Mige's started to make an experience.

My next build (with your help) will be planned as follows:

-Simucube 2 Pro Direct Drive System
-Sim Lab P1-X (which mount should I opt for with the DD system? There is a Front and DD specific options)
-Heusinkveld pedals. I cant see my old kit on his site anymore. I suspect that the equivalent are the 'Sprint' pedals? From memory they had blue and white rubber stops and a small transparent controller. Sometimes a bit squeaky too!
-PC already built
-Do I need any type of plate system on the Sim Lab to accommodate the pedals?
-Steering wheel I am totally unsure on. I like the look of Cube Controls GT PRO OMP Sim Racing Steering Wheel – Wireless but it doesnt have any of the digital dash components. Ideally I dont want to spend anymore than 1k on a steering wheel.
- Monitor, I used to have 3 x BenQ XL2720Z set at 144hz with low response times. I have noticed others using curved screens. Any recommendations? I would really like to go VR but I just feel that the quality just isnt there yet.

Not sure if I have missed anything else but as always your help is much appreciated. Also appreciate criticism on any of my kit list above if you know of better/cheaper alternatives.

Thanks Guys.
Sorry mate, kin of missed your thread...
  • Front mount for the SimuCube2, I have the same setup. You cannot mount it with wheel deck or Fanatec mount obviously.
  • For the Heusinkveld Sprints I ordered the additional base plate from Sim-Labs as opposed to the Heusinkveld one. You probably won't need either with the P1-X. The Sim-Labs one can be fitted with a seat slider, which I didn't do in the end. The raised Sim-Lab base plate on top of the pedal tray came in handy (for my preference)
  • I bought a custom made steering wheel, there are several builders (also here on the forums). Otherwise I would have gone for the Ascher F64-USB at the same price. Cube look nice, too but I wanted a formula style wheel that doesn't obstruct my monitor and potentially keyboard tray.
  • I have a single ultra wide 32:9 from Samsung with the integral mount from Sim-Labs. Not missed triples so far. When going motion rig you should opt for a stand-alone mount which is also available from Sim-Labs.

Upvote 0
I am pretty much in your boat, just about to (next few months) get back into sim racing. I'm going 'mid-shelf' rather than your top-end, and I have to have the wheelbase attached to my computer desk.

I have done more legwork on the monitor component piece. First, I have a 27" IPS Acer #XB271HU which has been amazing for the last @ 4 yrs or so. But, I want to go ultra-wide, 21x9 in a 34"-35" size. Triple screens not possible in our small'ish computer room. Here's my short list of possible choices (in no particular order) to this point:
* LG 34GN850B
* Alienware AW3420DW
* Acer Predator X35
* Asus PG35VQ
* Agon AG353UCG (available @ June I believe)

My best resource for monitor info has been TFTCentral ( https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ ) and the AnandTech forums. ( https://forums.anandtech.com/forums/displays.72/ )

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back