Retro lap times at Spielberg Historic aka Österreichring

Hi,

After a couple of days of practice on the circuit I was able to get a time of 1.46.070. What I'm worried about is that it is about 6 seconds slower than historical pole (1977 GP, the same layout with chicane), and the 100% AI. I've dropped wings to 1 at front and 2 at the back, set the diff higher, and suspension stiffer. I don't understand where I can cut those 6 seconds from any more! Is it just me and my poor driving skills?

Well, to start off I could make you feel even worse because the retros are based on 1975, pole position was 1:34 in the dry! (sorry) ;)

But anyway, I do not think that yours is a bad lap time.
After reading your post I have just tried that track for the first time, 90% difficulty, no driving aids. After 10 laps I managed 1:46.600. I know I can get quicker yet, but I'm not sure how much more I can shave off as the Retros are pretty twitchy. It's a fine line between sliding it to save lap time and sending it into a spin. The AI are 2.5 seconds quicker so far, 1:44.100.
(I do think the retros are possibly running more difficult compared to the other cars)
BTW this might not account for all 6 seconds, but the first thing to know is it makes a big difference which session you are in.
It is a known issue that the AI are much quicker in practice session than they are in qualifying or practice.
On the other hand a test day is much easier.

If you are in single race or championship, I find it is a good idea to do the following, which pretty much solves the discrepancy:
In practice, just assume that the AI are on low fuel - if you run with 6 laps of fuel, you will get closer to their times.
In qual and race, assume that AI are on full tanks - if you run with full fuel, and you will then find the difference is pretty much the same as in practice.

About matching real times though, you may be right and perhaps the player grip needs raising slightly on this track, it is certainly possible to edit certain files to help match the times more accurately, but in the end what is important is the racing itself - after all, it could easily be colder, hotter, damp, green track, rubbered track, you name it, so it's not really worth worrying too much about comparing to real lap times.

Well, to start off I could make you feel even worse because the retros are based on 1975, pole position was 1:34 in the dry! (sorry) ;)

Track is based in 1977 though (1st year with chicane), that year Lauda did the pole with 1:39.32. 1:40.xx seems about right.

To the OP, no specific tip other than to keep practicing - that time is possible with the default setup. Those long fast corners require some getting used to in order to take the maximum out of them :)

Well, now I did a 1.45.365 with the default setup (steering lock adjusted to 22). It appears that my idea of tuning down the wings wasn't very good... I think I maybe should drive the fast corners with the 4th gear instead of 3rd.

Still 5 seconds to catch...

Track is based in 1977 though (1st year with chicane), that year Lauda did the pole with 1:39.32. 1:40.xx seems about right.

To the OP, no specific tip other than to keep practicing - that time is possible with the default setup. Those long fast corners require some getting used to in order to take the maximum out of them :)

Ops sorry, I got mixed up with the years, talking about the Retros themselves instead of the track.

With default setup? I really need practicing then...:confused:

Yep Me too!

43.117 here. Was quite a good lap, i think, but i was 0,6 off my 1st sector pb, so a 1:42.6-ish possible for me atm . I'd say the best i can do right now on default is a 42.0. But it'd have to be a flawless lap, that's for sure.

Therefore the best can probably do consistent sub 42/med 41 on default. With a decent setup a low 41 and 40 is quite probable imo.

1.42,301, H shifter, heel/toe, no aids.

I tried it just to see my speed and I made too many mistakes, because I haven˙t driven here since my GTL days and I forget the track configuration, but I did around 20 clean laps.

I just did a 1m43s807 and felt pretty fast .... Did you use default setup ? And if not could you share it please ?

Pieter

I`ve played a bit with setup and with this one (still no aids and H shifter) I did 1.41,594. You are welcome to try it :thumbsup:.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/1gjvxk6v9np7xj2/Historic_F1_#11.svm

gsc-2014-08-23-17-37-35-.jpg

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back