Request to admin (tutorials subforum)

you textures must be in the same folder as your .3ds file before importing it into xpacker .. there is also file name restrictions on some exported objects (textures name not 3ds file). that might also be your problem, but MAX will give you a warning on this on export.. you will need to "rename" textures according to what MAX stated. (after export, and before import to xpacker)

I will do tutorial either later this evening or tomorrow on how to export objects from max into btb using proper texture mapping

I thought ide post this here.
Its regarding this post:
http://www.racedepartment.com/bobs-track-builder/47863-add-background-image-3.html
Post number #23 & #24

Hi Radio. here is a quick demo

Bryce terrain creation, and basic editing in context to importing into btb
If your making high poly stuff, I advise to export as wavefront object first .3ds file imports have a max of 64k file size.

Here I show what you can do in max to get it looking a little better, apply texture and optimise mesh. Please note i applied the wrong texture in max (you can see me notice my mistake when i switched to bryce while editing the texture in photoshop). but i continued anyway.
To get the texturing applied in max looking correctly in btb, use UVmap modifier not the options in Max material editor.

Here is an example in rbr of a piece of another piece of terrain generated and prepared in 3dsmax
This object is less then 3000 polys, the main texture is only 1024x1024.. and I added a bump tile within btb mats editor with 60x60 tiles (the image file is only 256x256). So when your driving close you see a bit of fine detail.
The frame rate is due to bryce, 3dsmax, photoshop, btb, rbr, and fraps running all at the same time + music

handy thing about this is you can make a piece of terrain detailed on all sides. then use the same object in btb placed in diff places just rotated or scaled. (also using the same textures)
Also for very distant terrain you can really optimise on polys in max. Since btb wont fill in your large polys for mesh imports.

Of course bryce has many more way of creating terrain, including image imports, , so u can generate your sat / g-earth images into terrain pretty easy, just by using color height maps, or manually painting in height colors in ps, or manually painting terrain in bryce.

i guess i could, but my pc slows down real bad if i record with any higher settings.... plus the resulting video about 2 frames per decade.
if you click on the youtube box a couple of times it will re-direct you to the video on youtubes site, there you can click the fullscreen button. it might be a little more clear.
I think the reason for my record problems is not my pc power. its my low space.. my pc is always floating around 25 gig free .. i know its bad, but i ant afford any new backup drives right now. Anyway, what is left on my hd is quite fragmented because its so active. As soon as i get some spare money I will buy a backup drive and start to record better higher quality stuff. I also need to buy a mic.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back