Rennbahn 1928

Tracks Rennbahn 1928 1.0

Login or Register an account to download this content
I think that the situation is getting a bit heated and thus out of control, which is most likely making it worse.

I know Thomas since 12 years ago, when he started modding GPL, and he is incredibly talented. Like, the stuff he managed to make for that old sim, it is unbelievable. So @THL you really don't need to beat yourself up over some comments. You just need to objectively look at your stuff to know how great it is.

I understand that criticism is hard, you pour your heart and soul into your work and you want it to thrive. I got some :poop: in the past in my articles and it really hit me hard (@Kenny Paton was unfortunate enough to hear my rants :roflmao:). But at the end of the day, what really counts is that you feel satisfied with your work, you know you've worked long and hard on it and you have improved or honed your craft somehow in the process. If all of these boxes are ticked, then your day is made, no matter what people say. And I assure you, if you do tick those boxes, 95% of the people you share your work with will appreciate it anyway as well. Because passion and hard work transpire through the fabric of your work. In any case, do this stuff for your enjoyment, if then you want to share it, fine, otherwise don't. Do not rely on other people judgement, as my friend @Fat-Alfie would say (we're friends right? :D). Hear it, listen to it but do not rely on it. They are very different things altogether.

As for the suggestion that some modders have raised, as to review the rating system that is currently employed on RD: it is true that casual users leave 5 stars for everything, as long as it tickles what they fancy, but you have to look at the big picture. If you list the content in the download section by rating you'll see that only top notch content gets consistently high reviews, thus making it to the top. I believe the system overall works :)

Apologies Kenny for the off-topic

THL updated Rennbahn 1928 with a new update entry:

Technical update (alpha version 0.95)

Here's a technical update for Opel Rennbahn (alpha version 0.95)

What's new?

- ai line (by Rainmaker)
- track map (by Rainmaker)
- 2 tv camera sets
- track descriptions
- VAO patch

Minor changes:
- expansion of pit area to have better conditions for ai
- corrected position and orientation of official gallery and stand number 2
- added lettering "Tribüne 1" and "Tribüne 2" on the northern side of stands 1 and 2
- added post at start finish line...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Great track mate, I know this is still far from done and you need as much feedbacks from people as you can, but this is a very good looking track now at this current state....

My only nitpick, which isn't really major issue anyway, is that the track map is kinda wrong(?) when displayed on MapDisplay app, and it's also way too offset as you can see here on the top right of the screen :

Other than that I could say nothing but keep up the good work.... :thumbsup:

P.S. : No need to involve yourself in the drama, just do what you can do best.

I see some people bashing my opinion and I come here to justify the somewhat low rating and to see if people at least try to understand where I came from.

The main reasons were highlighted by the author himself. The ones that grieved me the most were:
- no AI line, therefore no races possible, only practice/hot-lapping
- no TV cameras

These are some of the most important aspects that I look for in a track. Missing them both is a major blow, in my book. It makes it a "poor" track to have any real fun - for me - and I graded it accordingly. Now I explained that I see a lot of potential in this track and that what is there is already quite nice but the lacking of these two features hinders it tremendously. This is my opinion and I'm as entitled to it as anyone else is entitled to their own.

Now for the 2 star rating... I have a feeling that people are giving away 5 stars to everything, these days... they give it for about anything. So what will we award to REAL excellence? The same rating we give everything else? You see, this is a cultural issue. Many people from the Western World (mainly in the USA but not only) have grown over the last decade or so a mindset in which any criticism is viewed as an attack. As a personal offence. No longer can criticism be used constructively nor does it work as a motivator. It seems that any criticism is viewed as a vile stab in the back. This gives raise to the opposite action: garde everything as 5 star; To pat every doodler in the back; To give out medals for coming last; Congratulating any action as awesome; Consider every personal opinion has having the same weight or validity... in short, it started to promote mediocrity as the norm instead of instilling the need to improve, to excel, to come as close to perfection as is humanly possible. I disagree greatly with this path that the Western Civilisation has taken and I believe that it will - sooner or later - come back arround and byte it in the back side.

So, to make things clearer:
1) A 2 star is not a personal attack. It's not an attack at all. It reflects the way I perceive your track as it stands (an admittedly beta track gets a beta-adequate rating).
2) Improve your track - as I said I'd hope you'd do - and I will improve my rating accordingly.

Outcome: in the end, we both win. I get a better track, you get a better rating. And more knowledge on how to make great tracks. You become a BETTER MODDER (and even a better person for having shown perseverance).

The alternative was to settle with the track as it is, saying it's already perfect (5 stars) and move on to another track (possibility sub-par too because you hadn't gotten the extra knowledge from perfecting the former one) and repeat ad nauseam. I sure know we're seeing this process a lot lately, aren't we? And then people get offended when someone has the nerve of saying "this could have been done a bit better, couldn't it?". I've seen people rage-quit because of simple honest questions like that one...

To finish: I have no beef with you (the author) nor with anyone else. All I whish for is for you to excel at your craft and to not settle with sub-par. Does that really make me such a bad guy?

Thank you for your detailed explanation. With this background information I understand the two stars and I can live well with it. I will improve the track to overcome mediocrity (that has always been my plan) in order to create something unique, so at the end, to make it short, we have a lot more in common then I had thought.
Have a nice weekend!

Great track mate, I know this is still far from done and you need as much feedbacks from people as you can, but this is a very good looking track now at this current state....

My only nitpick, which isn't really major issue anyway, is that the track map is kinda wrong(?) when displayed on MapDisplay app, and it's also way too offset as you can see here on the top right of the screen :

Other than that I could say nothing but keep up the good work.... :thumbsup:

P.S. : No need to involve yourself in the drama, just do what you can do best.

Thank you for the hint. I found the mistake, there are two wrong values in map.ini, that will be corrected in the next version. Here are the right paramaters, if you don't want to wait. You can copy these lines into your map.ini in rennbahn/data/map.ini (in bold are the relevant values that have been wrong before):

[PARAMETERS]
WIDTH=388
HEIGHT=580
MARGIN=20
SCALE_FACTOR=1.00
X_OFFSET=193
Z_OFFSET=311
DRAWING_SIZE=10

Last edited:
I think that the situation is getting a bit heated and thus out of control, which is most likely making it worse.

I know Thomas since 12 years ago, when he started modding GPL, and he is incredibly talented. Like, the stuff he managed to make for that old sim, it is unbelievable. So @THL you really don't need to beat yourself up over some comments. You just need to objectively look at your stuff to know how great it is.

I understand that criticism is hard, you pour your heart and soul into your work and you want it to thrive. I got some :poop: in the past in my articles and it really hit me hard (@Kenny Paton was unfortunate enough to hear my rants :roflmao:). But at the end of the day, what really counts is that you feel satisfied with your work, you know you've worked long and hard on it and you have improved or honed your craft somehow in the process. If all of these boxes are ticked, then your day is made, no matter what people say. And I assure you, if you do tick those boxes, 95% of the people you share your work with will appreciate it anyway as well. Because passion and hard work transpire through the fabric of your work. In any case, do this stuff for your enjoyment, if then you want to share it, fine, otherwise don't. Do not rely on other people judgement, as my friend @Fat-Alfie would say (we're friends right? :D). Hear it, listen to it but do not rely on it. They are very different things altogether.

As for the suggestion that some modders have raised, as to review the rating system that is currently employed on RD: it is true that casual users leave 5 stars for everything, as long as it tickles what they fancy, but you have to look at the big picture. If you list the content in the download section by rating you'll see that only top notch content gets consistently high reviews, thus making it to the top. I believe the system overall works :)

Apologies Kenny for the off-topic

Thank you very much for your kind words :)! I don't know, who you are talking about ;).

Yes, it's true, at the end of the day, what really counts is: Have I done everything to recreate this particular place the best way I could? Am I happy with my work? Is it fun? Do I personally enjoy it? Is it kind of unique? These are the important questions.

I had some criticism for my first AC track too, but then I found out: There are some people out there, really enjoying it. To me that's maybe the best motivation at all, knowing there are three or five people out there, that are really happy with my modest work. I was able to put a smile on their faces, maybe after a hard day at work, even if it was for a short time. Wow! That let's me forget the hundreds of people hating it.

Again, thank you for your kind words. I wish you all the best!

Thank you for the hint. I found the mistake, there are two wrong values in map.ini, that will be corrected in the next version. Here are the right paramaters, if you don't want to wait. You can copy these lines into your map.ini in rennbahn/data/map.ini (in bold are the relevant values that have been wrong before):

[PARAMETERS]
WIDTH=388
HEIGHT=580
MARGIN=20
SCALE_FACTOR=1.00
X_OFFSET=193
Z_OFFSET=311
DRAWING_SIZE=10
Cheers very much mate, this works... :thumbsup:

@THL , I tried the AI line by rainmaker that you incorporated in your latest version but the AI is pretty slow with it.
In the contrary, the AI line by GPLaps (link under his video) is really good and competitive, I think it's much better and really makes your track shine.
The guy behind GPlaps is a nice chap that is very friendly on his Discord, maybe it could be cool to integrate his line? I would be happy to ask him for you if you want.

P.S.: damn this is such a nice track man, I had no idea I loved oval 20s racing so much until today :D

This is my first oval (I usually prefer long country roads), to be honest, I did not think that ovals are so much fun. even on a simple porsche 718 spyder it is exciting, on a maserati 250f 12cyl I think it will be epic. the spectators around the track are very good. thanks for the track.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back