Reinstalling GTR2 - best approach?

Hi,

I decided to reinstall this old beauty and am wondering if there is an accepted way to get the best out of her.
Should I install the Anniversary patch and then start adding in HQ mods? Just the Anniversary patch? Just the various HQ mods? Something else?

Sorry, it's a bit befuddling coming back to this and seeing so many options now available.

Cheers

1- install GTR2 either from dvd or steam

2- download and install GTR2 10th anniversary patch

3- right click on all EXE files inside GTR2 folder and set WinXP compatibility + Administrator rights

4- run GTR2config.exe (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here

-use Nvidia Profile Inspector to set AA/AF (set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo II or Diablo III)

- turn off vsync (according to personal preference) - ffb in GTR2 seems to be tied to refresh rate

5- Install Bill2's Process Manager or Process Lasso and set GTR2's core affinity to use all cores of your processor. Set Administrator rights for Bill2's Process Manager or Process Lasso.

6- run GTR2.exe

Use JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler) to install tracks and mods.

HQ MODS are already included in 10th Anniversary patch, there are just more options to choose from in the HQ MODS collection - like different sparks effects for example.

Huge thanks from me to everyone who has been putting in hours to maintain and improve this legend of a game!

Last edited:
Original Problem (Posted Elsewhere): Ive installed a fresh install of gtr 2 dvd version i applied the 10 year anniversary patch. I ran the game no problems selected track car and setting and click race and i ctd. I was thinking that this was a problem with the anniversary patch so i uninstalled gtr 2 and installed a fresh vanilla version and i get the same problem. I am running windows 10 and i used to be able to run it fine. now after a hdd update it doesn't want to work.
Update: I found this page and i followed the installation and workarounds on this forum and i am stuck in the gtr2config loop when clicking the gtr2.exe Any help would be great. Thanks

You have installed a NOCD version as W10 do not like the old disc check?

Also do not install in 'Program files (x86)'
Make a folder outside that folder.
D:\ games\... or something like that as Windows are very protective about programs running in 'Program Files (x86)'

yes i installed the anniversary patch over the vanilla version. After your last post i downloaded and installed over the anniversary patch the official v1.1 and then v1.1 no cd patch. I have noticed that when i run the config file it is the graphics settings i wish to run but when i click the gtr.exe and i get the config loop the setting are always set back to default (800x600 16 bit and refresh rate 40hz). Thank you again

Where did you install GTR2 ? .... avoid all "Progamfiles" or "Programs" folders ....
GTR2 is mostly more at ease at the root of a PC disk.... or another disk than C:

But I have a big doubt about the order of your installs !! ....I'm nearly sure the Patch 1.1 and the No CD patch need to be installed before applying the Anniversary Patch. ( this last one I don't have as my GTR2 is already modded another way ) and not afterwards or .... even possible that those 2 patches are already included in the Anniversary Patch.

Anyway ... if the settings are good running GTR2 config.exe ... strange the GTR2.exe resets this one !? ... except of course those usual Admin rights or a wrong install.
Maybe you should try this: create a shortcut on desktop for GTR2.exe with "Windows XP( Service Pack 2 )" or "Windows 7" as compatibility and checking "Run this program as a Administrator".

It looks like you don't have the full rights on GTR2 folder ... or the installs are not in the right order.

NB: sure that @GTR233 might help you even better with it.... he has a very good knowledge about that ...and he's always ready to help, aren't you Paul ? ;)

Last edited:
Than you guys for the help. it seems something weird is going on. I have always installed the game on a separated hdd not my windows sdd. So the game is installed on D:\gtr2. Ok, I have uninstalled again and started with a vanilla version, and just installed the official 1.1 patch and no cd and i am still stuck in the loop. I am the only user on the pc so i am the administrator. so maybe this isn't the problem. I tried the shortcut and that didnt work aswell. I have also unchecked run with admin box in compatibility and then right clicked on the gtr.exe and ran with graphics processor as i read this may help, but to no avail.
Thanks for all your help guys.

Are you trying to use old configs like PLR files after you reinstall? Is it absolutely a pure install, no hijinx?

I vaguely recall getting in a loop at one point...I can't recall what I did but I think I tried to make sure I didn't change anything at all after reinstalling.

Also, make sure the uninstall is absolutely uninstalled before reinstalling. Reboot just in case.

I am the only user on the pc so i am the administrator
Same for me but nevertheless, I need to start it with admin rights ... else it doesn't work ... same for Process Managers, gtr2 config and GTR2 itself.

Try this with a GTR2 shortcut on desktop
When created, modify the properties of the shortcut ".......\GTR2\GTR2.exe" into
"....\GTR2\GTR2.exe" -trace=1000" and save.
Launch GTR2 with this shortcut and admin rights ..... when you have a loop or a ctd and you stopped GTR2 ..... go afterwards to: GTR2/Userdata/Log and you'll find a trace.txt file there ....

As it might be long, zip it and send it .... maybe there'll be something in there to give us a clue.

EDIT:
- no MSI Afterburner or such on your PC ?

Last edited:
if you have run once GTR2.EXE without XPcompatibility/Admin rights, then the game has created a new GTR2 folder in "My Documents" directory : you MUST DELETE this GTR2 folder.

10th Anniversary Patch is ALL-IN-ONE : it includes official Simbin update 1.1 + a special nocd 4Gb patched (the nocd you find everywhere else is not 4Gb patched and will use only 2Gb RAM).

So delete GTR2 folder in MyDocuments and follow the install guide by Pudu on first post : this is the working procedure :)

Thanks again guys for the responses. Seems something is definitely wrong. I nearly 100% sure I've followed everything correctly and i am still stuck in the loop. I have uninstalled and made sure gtr2 folder is deleted from my documents and recycle bin emptied. Restarted and then installed from cd again and then anniversary patch applied. Followed Pudus instructions on the first page, the only thing i could not find was the core affinity in Process Lasso, but i was going to attempt the workaround by pressing CNTRL SHIFT ESC and set it that way after launching. But as mentioned the loop is still happening.
I have done the trace log and attached. Maybe i am doing something incredibly silly and have not noticed it. i hope not, lol.
Thanks again guys

Attachments

• trace.txt
    11.8 KB · Views: 212
Than you guys for the help. it seems something weird is going on. I have always installed the game on a separated hdd not my windows sdd. So the game is installed on D:\gtr2. Ok, I have uninstalled again and started with a vanilla version, and just installed the official 1.1 patch and no cd and i am still stuck in the loop. I am the only user on the pc so i am the administrator. so maybe this isn't the problem. I tried the shortcut and that didnt work aswell. I have also unchecked run with admin box in compatibility and then right clicked on the gtr.exe and ran with graphics processor as i read this may help, but to no avail.
Thanks for all your help guys.
Ok are you on a laptop?
Then that is it!
You need to switch to what ever GPU you have before you start Gtr2.
Recall that issue on my gaming laptop but just plainly forgot.
You need to run gtr2 and then minimize to get Prosses Lasso to see GTR2.exe.
And you are not Admin just because you are the only user You can get admin rights but you do not have that as default.

Thank you guys for all your help. I have made (maybe) positive steps to get the game at least running. Opening the nvidia control panel i set gtr.exe to open with integrated graphics rather than nvidia GPU. Doesn't this just defeat the whole purpose of running the game with the changes to nvidias aa compatibility etc?
Yes i am using a laptop as well.

Opening the nvidia control panel i set gtr.exe to open with integrated graphics rather than nvidia GPU.

Sorry to ask, but I wonder why you chose the Integrated Graphics rather than the Nvidia GPU. ?
Which is the strongest one ? ... this should be the Nvidia surely.
And if GTR2 knows which one to use ... there should be no problem to use the Nvidia one.

Am I wrong, Bjarne ? ... not just by curiosity but for knowledge of course. ;)

He couldn't use the Gpu because the config defaulted to the iGpu.
So the solution is to also point the gtr2config.exe to the Gpu.
The better solution if the laptop is always plugged into power is to always use the GPU but that will mean more fan noise when not gaming.

You need to set both Gtr2Config.exe AND Gtr2.exe to your GPU and you are ready to enjoy.
Not using my laptop much but remember now having similar issues on GTL
Have fun.
That was all it was i feel really silly now. Force gtr2config to run in GPU all the time and viola, gtr2 works.
I cannot thank you guys for all your help and insight. There is plenty of life left in this game

Latest News

What's needed for simracing in 2024?

• More games, period

• Better graphics/visuals

• Advanced physics and handling

• More cars and tracks

• AI improvements

• AI engineering

• Cross-platform play

• New game Modes

• Other, post your idea

Results are only viewable after voting.