Reinstalling GTR2 - best approach?

Hi,

I decided to reinstall this old beauty and am wondering if there is an accepted way to get the best out of her.
Should I install the Anniversary patch and then start adding in HQ mods? Just the Anniversary patch? Just the various HQ mods? Something else?

Sorry, it's a bit befuddling coming back to this and seeing so many options now available.

Cheers

1- install GTR2 either from dvd or steam

2- download and install GTR2 10th anniversary patch

3- right click on all EXE files inside GTR2 folder and set WinXP compatibility + Administrator rights

4- run GTR2config.exe (choose 32bits resolution, dx9) but Do NOT choose AA/AF here

-use Nvidia Profile Inspector to set AA/AF (set Antialiasing compatibility to Diablo II or Diablo III)

- turn off vsync (according to personal preference) - ffb in GTR2 seems to be tied to refresh rate

5- Install Bill2's Process Manager or Process Lasso and set GTR2's core affinity to use all cores of your processor. Set Administrator rights for Bill2's Process Manager or Process Lasso.

6- run GTR2.exe

Use JSGME (JoneSoft Generic Mod Enabler) to install tracks and mods.

HQ MODS are already included in 10th Anniversary patch, there are just more options to choose from in the HQ MODS collection - like different sparks effects for example.

Huge thanks from me to everyone who has been putting in hours to maintain and improve this legend of a game!

Last edited:
Edit: problem solved - user error.

original post ------
I have another quick question that I hope someone knows the answer to.

My TrackIR no longer seems to recognize GTR2 as an enhanced program and doesn't switch to the correct profile when I launch it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Last edited:
Mine is perfectly working anyway .... and I didn't do anything to make it work in GTR2.
As I mostly drive Assetto Corsa Online ... I didn't change anything at its settings and it is working in all sims as AC, RRE, GTR2, RF2 and Dirt Rally.

Could you explain with simple words what's your problem exactly ? .... I won't be able to answer you quickly as I'm busy for the moment and TrackIR is not plugged... but surely within one day.

EDIT: Nevermind. This one is just pure loser error ... I mean user error.

I realized I had TrackIR set to GTR in the games list, not RACE 07,GTR2. Stupidly, I was looking in the G's not the R's for the GTR2 listing. All is working well now. Sorry to bother you.

Thanks again though, for the reply.

original post ------
Thanks for the reply, no rush.

The problem is simply that TrackIR software isn't recognizing when I have started GTR2 and switching to the correct profile. Also the enhanced game light doesn't come on. It works fine if I switch profiles manually.

I use TrackIR in 3 different flight sims and AMS with no problem. I was just wondering if something happened to it's relationship with GTR2 over the years.

If yours is fine, then clearly it's a issue with my install - either GTR2 or TrackIR. I'll mess around with it some more.

Cheers Jempy

Last edited:
I made the mistake of running the GTR2Config.exe (within Power & Glory install) which evidently resets the values.
I run GTR2/Power & Glory in Windowed Mode (with Borderless Gaming) so that the nVidia Inspector settings can be applied.
However, when I started P&G, the game didn't start in Windowed Mode, so the anti-aliasing settings from nVidia Inspector weren't applied. I checked the Config.ini and sure enough, the WINDOWEDMODE was reset to 0.
After trying a couple more times, and even manually setting to WINDOWEDMODE=1, I came to realize that for some reason, the setting won't hold (the Config.ini file is not set to Read-only).
Fortunately, I was able to replace the Config.ini with one from another install and all is well.

But, I recall having this problem before, and discussing it at NoGripRacing. But I can't remember the solution!
I am running the game as Administrator, but from a User account (I am presented with the Administrator password prompt every time I start the game. Same thing when I start the GTR2Config.exe).

DurgeDriven, I know we discussed this issue before ... any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Interesting. I believe the GTR2Config.exe is set to run as administrator only ... at least I was prompted for the administrator password. I’ll check tomorrow.
Also, are you saying AA works again in Windows10 without the “Windowed” work-around?
If so, that is great news!

Dunno ... I've tried Compatibility in a variety of Windows Modes. I've tried running the GTR2Config.exe as Administrator and not. I keep running into the same problem ... Windowed Mode won't stay checked. I even tried setting the Config.ini to Read Only (after setting to WINDOWEDMODE=1).
I also tried setting nVidia profiler AA setting to S.T.A.L.K.E.R. III (running as Administrator) which did not apply any Anti-Aliasing in the non-Windowed GTR2.
Fortunately, I can use a backup Config.ini to restore my original settings.
The only thing that works for me (to have Anti-Aliasing applied) is to run in Windowed Mode, with Borderless Gaming.
Note: I am running the game from a User account whereas I previously ran the game from my Administrator account. I believe that is the issue.
At this time, everything is working great. I resolve not to mess with anything ever again!
Thanks for all of your suggestions!

Last edited:
I wrote from memory. I am using Diablo III as Antiallising compatible bits
Several others works too
Borderless windows mode is pretty good anyway .
Use to like DSR mode but now find the image gets too dark? And anyway I am using custom resolutions so DSR is not an option for me anymore

I wrote from memory. I am using Diablo III as Antiallising compatible bits
Several others works too
Borderless windows mode is pretty good anyway .
Use to like DSR mode but now find the image gets too dark? And anyway I am using custom resolutions so DSR is not an option for me anymore
Agree, its not the answer if your using custom resolutions, but for 1080p monitor, it seems to help with the AA issues. Its a personal preference, what works for some may not be good for others. its just another option, when other work arounds don't seem to help.:)

DurgeDriven, I know we discussed this issue before ... any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

Glad you got working

AS mentioned above always run admin and compatibility mode on GTR2.exe and GTR2Config.exe
I use W7 compatibility instead of XP, reason was when I used W7 as OS and ran XP compat it would set memory lower making the GTR2 menu put warning levels in graphics menu

If you do a fresh Operating System admin and compatibility settings will reset so they all need doing again
When you have many gmotor folders makes a little easier is a tool here:

https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/good-little-tool-for-many-gtr2-gtl-folders.162318/

I also use this tool to set Runaff shortcuts

In Inspector save all profiles, click on the tab with the green arrow facing upwards: Export all customized profiles

Here is some of my personal mods
I put exes in their own mod and remove from all sim folders along with 2 dll's I explain later
( when you activate the mod it will place dll back )

I use 40"TV everyday and 32" for gaming
I like to run all sim I use generic enablers with in 1366x768 for testing, so I can have beyond compare text crawler, JSGME/OVGME Notepad etc open and I can click through sim menu skins, tracks compare etc

1920 mod is for 40" 2560 for 32" and DSR for 32"
They are not just config.ini they contain Map and XD postilions and sizes for 4 different resolutions
Having in a mod they can never change ;)

When a new Nvidia driver comes I run config from the EXE mod as I redo each resolution I drag the config.ini right next door into the Resolution mods ( you need the 2 dll to run config.exe from
within the Exe mod folder )

Then there are player mods
With these is no limit to the mods you can create down to individual car, FFB etc etc
Those ones for all combos of GTR2\HQ\REBORN plr edits

Last edited:
Back to GTR2 after years...I'm quite confused what to do for a clean install of GTR2 with 10th anniversary patch + Power&Glory 3.2. I mean the 10th anniversary patch readme says you must install PnG using option 3, but my installer has only option 1 and 2.

I have PnG3.0+updaters to 3.2 so installer may be different from full 3.2 install : do you have option to keep GTR2 cars ? Because GTR2 cars are required for 10th ann. Patch otherwise Crash-To-Desktop.
You can have multiple GTR2 installs : copy-paste a clean GTR2 install elsewhere on your hdd/ssd dedicated to PnG3.
In fact I suggest you to not use GTR2 10th ann. Patch for PnG3 because PnG3 has got many fixes/patches so it is not required, it is better to use GTR2 HQ MODS COLLECTION to manually add the HQ MODS you like (readme tells you which mod is compatible with PnG3)

I have PnG3.0+updaters to 3.2 so installer may be different from full 3.2 install : do you have option to keep GTR2 cars ? Because GTR2 cars are required for 10th ann. Patch otherwise Crash-To-Desktop.
You can have multiple GTR2 installs : copy-paste a clean GTR2 install elsewhere on your hdd/ssd dedicated to PnG3.
In fact I suggest you to not use GTR2 10th ann. Patch for PnG3 because PnG3 has got many fixes/patches so it is not required, it is better to use GTR2 HQ MODS COLLECTION to manually add the HQ MODS you like (readme tells you which mod is compatible with PnG3)
Thank you so much, I'll try with a dedicated folder. Hope to get back to my beloved Triumph TR4 asap ;-)

With some heavyer sims then racing sims
They tend to use not all of the cores leave core 1 and core 1's hyperT off let it so those 2 cores are used for windows and every other software you are using and let all other core use for gtr2.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back