Red Bull rear wing in Hungary

Was watching the highlights of Hungary again, noticed that the Red Bull produced little, if any, vapour trails off the rear wing. Certainly far less than the McLaren which was shooting the trails off. Anyone else notice this? Presumably this means the Mac was working the air harder over the wing. Where then does the RB get all it's downforce from by comparison?

Red Bull's downforce comes mainly from their blown diffuser.
This means they can run a lower rear wing angle to try and keep up with the higher straight-line speed of the McLaren cars.

McLaren's rear wing is generally a lot bigger, to increase downforce that perhaps they are lacking from their blown diffuser system.

Well I noticed that the Mercs did, the Ferraris did, and the Torro Rossos. What was interesting was watching when a car passed using DRS. When Button passed Hamilton coming into turn 1, Hammo's wing was spewing vapour, but Button's flat wing was invisible, no drag, no hot air.

Definitely brought back notalgia of the Hakkinen days yeah!

for me the answer is simple and its call Adrian Newey, the guy have been designing winning formula ones for years. in each team he passed throught the team won the constructor championship, he is a race engineer aerodynamicist and for me the best there is so it explain why the RB cars didn,t get the wind trailing. i don't think the RB were running less rear wing then the other cars and the RB cars always lack top speed compare to the Ferrari's or McLaren's cause of the engine they are using, they make up for the lack of top speed by being the best cars in conering.

Totally agree with that. Would love to hear Martin Brundle and the boys discussing this subject. Presumably Newey's aero work on the parts of the car other than the primary wings themselves must somehow be significantly better than their competitors. I wonder if there's a genuinely novel approach they're using to some other parts of the car, or if it's just a lot of things in a lot of areas that are just a little bit better, even once the blown diffuser is factored into it. Remember the "bendy front bodywork" discussion last year?

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back