Red Bull RB11 begins testing with all-new camouflage livery

Infiniti Red Bull Racing RB11 04.jpg

Red Bull’s latest challenger went straight into testing without a traditional launch or even the team’s usual livery, instead adopting a striking camouflage. It won't be the same livery Red Bull will race with in Australia in March, but it’s a typically bold statement from the Milton Keynes-based squad, looking to bounce back to championship success after a difficult 2014.

It helps that they’ve retained Australian Daniel Ricciardo, who scored all of their three wins last year and is testing the car first before new teammate Daniil Kvyat. “It’s an exciting and dynamic line-up,” said Team Principal Christian Horner in the team’s press release. “We know the quality of Daniel following his performances last year and in Daniil we have an outstanding talent. The speed, commitment and determination he demonstrated were all the qualities we’re looking for.” Ricciardo is excited about the RB11’s prospects, commenting: “I hope it’s going to be a beast. We’ll soon find out.” But 20 year-old Kvyat, having graduated from sister team Toro Rosso for only his second year in F1, is maintaining modest expectations for now: “I haven’t really set any targets for 2015. I just want to keep doing the best job possible with hard work and the right attitude and that’s the best thing I can do.”

The chassis’ lower front end and the more extreme coke-bottle shape are the most notable aesthetic changes from last year’s car, but all of the biggest developments are beneath the bodywork, particularly relating to the Renault power-unit which left Red Bull underpowered compared to Mercedes. But despite Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey's reduced role this year and a very tight timescale to get the car finished Horner is confident they can take the fight to their rivals. “Our target is simple: to close down the gap to Mercedes yet further,” he said. “We know what we’re aiming at, we know what we need to achieve and I believe that with the RB11, with the drivers we have and with the new structures put in place we should be able to do that.”

Infiniti Red Bull Racing RB11 01.jpg Infiniti Red Bull Racing RB11 02.jpg Infiniti Red Bull Racing RB11 03.jpg
Image credits: Getty Images

Maybe they're trying to blend in with the tarmac. They are planning to
steal away the championship from Mercedes whithout anyone noticing... by
making the most noticeable livery of them all.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back